DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't understand the anger. Do you get upset when a match on RAW goes to a commercial break in the middle of it? That's all that's happening here, except while the commercials are playing, they still show the match in a smaller screen so that you don't miss any of the match. Why is that a thing to get hot about?

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's common that people who are stuck living on inferior coasts blame the best coast, so I'm not mad.

Also, I'm on the West Coast, so I'm too high to be angry. 

Also, you're talking about the Mountain West, OSJ, not the West Coast. The Mountain West needs to stop piggybacking on the West Coast's impeccable rep.

You and Sweetser forget that I spent almost as many years in Seattle as the two of you have been alive, (well, maybe half as many, I forget that Mike is old now). Anyway, you can take the man out of Seattle, but you can't take Seattle out of the man, now where's my double-latte and bong? Oh, and get the fuck off my lawn...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So what in the hell is this happy horseshit with Smackdown having the MATCH moved to a small screen-in-screen with no audio while the COMMERCIALS roll a full run on a larger screen with audio, right in the middle of a match? Have they been doing this regularly or not? If they have, why does anyone even bother watching it on USA anymore?

Good God man, do you not remember the awful days of "Oh, we've got to go to a commercial!" just as Kevin Sullivan was about to ground the spike into someone or the tag-champs looked to be in danger of losing the belts. Then you have five minutes of blah-blah-blah and a return to David Crockett looking like the cat that just ate the fucking canary and Tony Schiavone looking lost as usual mumbling that they don't have time to show what happened during the commercial but tune in next week. 

At least this way you get to see the match. We can dream about no commercials all we want to but it ain't going to happen.

When there's no commercials I can imagine they just do a bunch of restholds or yell at the crowd. This way is a total 'ha ha, fuck you, you can see it if you squint real hard. Meanwhile here's an ad for the new CGI Chris Meloni show!'

Or maybe, you know, they could CUT THE HORSESHIT OUT,  AIR A FULL MATCH, THEN CUT TO COMMERCIAL

• Like 2

Eh, I've no time to expend any real rage on this. After all I only get to catch Universo replays unless I'm off work anyway. But still, picture this...

Limited Interruption Smackdown

It would make them seem way more important. And it would piss off their sponsors and the channel so much. 

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Eh, I've no time to expend any real rage on this. After all I only get to catch Universo replays unless I'm off work anyway. But still, picture this...

It would make them seem way more important. And it would piss off their sponsors and the channel so much. 

You forget, Vince and Kevin Dunn live just to make us miserable.

• Thanks 1

The commercial cutaways are so ridiculously formulaic. I usually DVR the shows, but on the off chance I am watching live, I always turn the channel when somebody is tossed to the outside of the ring, which sometimes doesn’t even end up as a break. Shit, even on DVR I skip ahead just assuming it’s to break. 

Punch, punch, punch, move, duck, move, dive, roll in... ::Cole:: “To the outside! What’s gonna happen next!? Here on MONDAY NIGHT RAWWW!...” ::Chrisley Knows Best commercial::

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why would they want to do that?  To get kicked off of USA and get sent to Pop TV?

RAW's 25th Anniversary is in two weeks. I was looking at the listing for the Top 100 RAW Moments DVD that was released for their 20th Anniversary (https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe-raw/2012/12/12/3758956/the-top-100-moments-in-raw-history-the-list) and then trying to think of new BIG moments from RAW over the past 5 years that may make it on to a list now. Can't think of many. Festival of Friendship, Shane Returning, Daniel Bryan turning on Bray Wyatt in the cage, and the YES Movement when people filled the ring was all I came up with off the top of my head. Any other "Top 100 RAW Moments" from the past 5 years you can think of?

13 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

RAW's 25th Anniversary is in two weeks. I was looking at the listing for the Top 100 RAW Moments DVD that was released for their 20th Anniversary (https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe-raw/2012/12/12/3758956/the-top-100-moments-in-raw-history-the-list) and then trying to think of new BIG moments from RAW over the past 5 years that may make it on to a list now. Can't think of many. Festival of Friendship, Shane Returning, Daniel Bryan turning on Bray Wyatt in the cage, and the YES Movement when people filled the ring was all I came up with off the top of my head. Any other "Top 100 RAW Moments" from the past 5 years you can think of?

I don't know if I could pinpoint a specific moment, but having Sting, Goldberg, and Angle on the show has to be up there. How long ago was Jake returning on that one Old School Raw?

• Like 1

Yeah. Good call on The Shield breakup. I was trying to think of a Shield moment, and that one slipped my mind for some reason. Maybe Batista and the Evolution reunion/Batista quitting again could be there somewhere just because of Batista's Hollywood status now? 

Chatting with a friend now about big RAW moments and can't think of anything really from just 2017 outside of the Festival of Friendship. Is it just that we're spoiled on big matches/moments now that it takes something huge to even make a blip on the radar, or is it that the writing has been so mediocre the past year?

And going by what the WWE has already put on Best of RAW DVDs

- the "Women's Revolution" Debut (when Steph brought out Sasha, Becky and Charlotte)

- KO answering the US Open Challenge or Cena/Sami since that also had Bret Hart

- Brock's return

- Bryan's retirement

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Chatting with a friend now about big RAW moments and can't think of anything really from just 2017 outside of the Festival of Friendship. Is it just that we're spoiled on big matches/moments now that it takes something huge to even make a blip on the radar, or is it that the writing has been so mediocre the past year?

In terms of how the WWE thinks - the Ball family show up is a "big moment"

• Haha 1

When "Sheamus puts Marc Cuban through a table" is on their top 100 list from 5 years ago, I guess their bar is pretty low as to what constitutes a "top moment".

I wonder if they'd put "The Women's Revolution" as just one "moment" on their list, or break it up to multiple moments? The Sasha/Charlotte falls count anywhere match would have to be on there, I'd think. It was the main event of the show plus a really great match. 

Kurt Angle returns

Goldberg returns

The Braun Strowman/Roman Reign Ambulance thing?

Other than the US Open Challenge, I'm trying to think of any big Cena moments the past 5 years. Maybe that thing in the build up to the Cena/Orton title unification match where the crowd was going nuts for Bryan, but that's more of a DB moment than a Cena moment. Oh, the Rock/Cena matches were within the last 5 years, weren't they?