DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Tonight on Raw
Matt Hardy vs Elias
John Cena vs Finn Balor
Strowman vs Kane in a Last Man Standing Match

All 3 are Elimination chamber qualifying matches. 

Big possibility they will all be on the Hulu cut then, so I don't have to sit through the 3 hour live broadcast.

2 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

The big deal on moving to a larger building might be rent.  What does it cost to book venues?  I heard Meltzer say once that the larger the building the much higher the rent so I don't think it is a straight line move.

When the show sells out right away there is a lot of money left on the table. I’m not saying they should book staples center, although I bet they would win if they gambled and did book staples center (as far as at least breaking even and getting mainstream attention). 

But for an older rundown venue, they could book it for very cheap. APW did two shows last year  at the cow palace outside of San Francisco. Both shows were successful and they only drew like 2k fans with way lower ticket prices than the njpw show. The Forum would not be expensive. 

Hell, last year when they were at the Long Beach convention center, there is an arena there which seats 13,500, and would definitely not be expensive to rent when you know you are selling thousands of tickets. They messed up by not moving over there 6 months ago. Don’t make the same mistake again, and come in a third time again having no idea how ticket sales will go. 

23 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I'll miss Booker on commentary but take solace in the fact that he'll be returning to the pre-show panels to tell superstars how jacked they're looking. 

There's a wrestling thread on another msg board I go to and we like to make up what's actually the real life hierarchy of WWE titles/awards. The last time we did it, having Booker T say, "you're looking real jacked tonight!" was behind 1. Being John Cena 2. Being a McMahon/Triple H 3. Being Brock Lesnar 4. Being The Undertaker 5. Being Roman Reigns 6. WWE Universal Title. It was above the WWE Title because that was held by Jinder at the time.

18 minutes ago, We Are The Robots said:

Rather than NJPW moving to a larger arena, why not just do what concert promoters do and add a second date the next night?

Kind of like what NJPW did in Sapporo this past weekend. That makes alot of sense. 

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Here's a question since we're now heading towards Roman vs Brock - Has WWE successfully rehabbed Roman's persona? I was talking to a friend about Brock and Roman earlier and I weirdly found myself not being anti-Roman anymore. I'm at the point where I don't really care and given what we saw with Jinder as champ, there are far worse options than Roman to be the top guy. I still think Roman looks like a doofus, I still like Braun more than Roman, I still think Roman should drop the title to Braun this year, but I wouldn't be disappointed or put off by Roman beating Brock. A year ago I would have said "fuck Roman" and blah blah blah, but now...eh...he's not so bad.

1. Denial

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

Congrats, you made it. Although maybe #6 should be "apathy". It is what it is.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Here's a question since we're now heading towards Roman vs Brock - Has WWE successfully rehabbed Roman's persona? I was talking to a friend about Brock and Roman earlier and I weirdly found myself not being anti-Roman anymore. I'm at the point where I don't really care and given what we saw with Jinder as champ, there are far worse options than Roman to be the top guy. I still think Roman looks like a doofus, I still like Braun more than Roman, I still think Roman should drop the title to Braun this year, but I wouldn't be disappointed or put off by Roman beating Brock. A year ago I would have said "fuck Roman" and blah blah blah, but now...eh...he's not so bad.

I still don't think Roman works as the TOP GUY but I think WWE is in a place now where he might not have to be a dude who carries the load as much as previous top guys did.  They can put guys like AJ Styles or Braun or Lesnar out there in main events and it works.  Plus,  I was going to mention this in the Rumble thread but I think we're at a point now where the women are capable of sharing the heavy lifting on these shows.  They are getting very close to having an outstanding roster of women.  Once this next generation of Shayna,  Ember Moon and Kaire Sane get called up all bets are off. And Ronda signing full time adds a ton of star power to the division.  

I'm fine with Roman-Brock this year partly cause I just want anyone to take the belt off of Brock. Truthfully I'd like to see Roman squash Brock Goldberg style, I've been over Brock's shtick for a long time and just want him to go away. At least Roman's matches are almost always fun to watch, the guy is good in the ring I just never want to see him in a promo or backstage segment where he has to "act".

Can't believe so many people are onboard with Braun and Miz at WM.

He is one of the few people with an 'IT' factor I've seen come along in a long long time, and with his aura I think giving him a 'lesser' belt just doesn't make sense. Much like Taker I don't think he needs to actively hold a championship to be legitimised and I can't exactly picture 1991 Undertaker going for a midcard belt on his way up the ranks