DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

54 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Joey Ryan is dangerously close to becoming just "the dick guy" and I don't want that to happen and you shouldn't either. Ryan is far more talented then that and while he's coming up on forty, he realistically has another decade ahead of him, and I'd like to see that spent putting on good matches, not doing everything to build up to a humor spot that I no longer find funny.

Isn't getting the best reaction to the very minimum of effort & absolutely zero danger of injury pretty much the most traditional pro wrestling thing? I mean yeah, Joey Ryan could do a lot more of that but like you say, dude is approaching 40. He's done his fair share of dumb shit in his first few years and has been cruising by on a dumb gimmick and lame comedy spots for over a decade. I might not want to watch it but probably smarter doing what Joey Ryan has done than Nigel McGuinness or Necro Butcher did (I was really struggling to think of indy guys who didn't end up in the WWE for a decent amount of time. And I know Nigel is there now but c'mon, you know what I mean)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Motherfuckers here acting like there weren't kids aged in the single digits accounting for at least 15% of the crowd in the ECW Arena in the mid-90's and that the much vanuted Attitude Era didn't exist, so now we're pearl clutching over Joey Ryan's dick.

You know I referenced both CZW and Attitude Era WWF? Or was that just inconveniant>

Props to Joey for making that much money off of something so simple. He doesn't have to jump off of buildings, inhale a bunch of dust from light tubes, bleed all over the place, etc. to make his money. Hogan made boat loads of money with a pillow soft big boot and a leg drop. Joey Ryan does it with a couple of his moves.

The guy that wrote that letter would have eventually found something that would have offended his delicate sensibilities. There's no need for any kind of disclaimer before shows because you can do the research in advance and in this guy's case, he's a piece of shit that's way too ignorant and with way too much hate in his heart. This letter was bound to be written at some point.

Also, poutine is great. I feel like it's something I can only have once a year for fear that I'll have a heart attack, but it's so good. Fried potatoes? Good. Cheese? Good. Gravy? Good. And then there's however it's doctored up. I've had it with carne asada and that was really good and again with slow roasted shredded pork. Poutine is a top 5 awful food that tastes really good.

• Like 2

I agree, the original question of whether a Joey Ryan appearance warrants a disclaimer is No. Would the complaint have been the same against a bronco buster or that one time I watched Sid drag a guy around by his genitals for a full minute? I don't know. But the fact is dudes have been touching each other's junk in wrestling for a long time now. If someone is just now getting offended then they aren't a fan anyway so who cares?

You give someone a body slam by grabbing a fistful of junk and for some dudes, shoving your thumb way too deep into someone's crack. That's apparently ok.

Distill that down to what Joey Ryan does with his junk and suddenly it's not. 

Well, that's the difference between "latent" and "overt."  Yes, there's all manner of sexual subtext to what goes on in wrestling, but there's a big difference between that and a dude who's gimmick is LOOK AT MY DICK.

• Like 1

I don't think it's that unreasonable at all to expect promotions to post some kind of notice when their shows are going to feature excessive violence, R-rated language, or overtly sexual content.

That said, I know nothing about the promotion in question and how they advertise themselves, or if an attendee should've had a reasonable expectation that this wasn't going to be a kid-friendly show.  The e-mail writer definitely seems like the type of person who's just generally ignorant and oblivious.

26 minutes ago, EVA said:

I don't think it's that unreasonable at all to expect promotions to post some kind of notice when their shows are going to feature excessive violence, R-rated language, or overtly sexual content.

That said, I know nothing about the promotion in question and how they advertise themselves, or if an attendee should've had a reasonable expectation that this wasn't going to be a kid-friendly show.  The e-mail writer definitely seems like the type of person who's just generally ignorant and oblivious.

To be fair, too, the tone/content of the letter makes me think they could have had a warning on the poster that said  "Contains homosexual and dick touching content (possibly with vagina!)" and said writer still would have attended then complained. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would rather watch Joey Ryan's shtick than serious wrestler Joey Ryan without a second thought. He's never been an amazing pure wrestler, so he found something that's both easy on the body and a niche that gets him some notoriety while separating him from the pack he couldn't compete with in traditional ways to begin with. Not my favourite thing but I ain't going to slander the man for it.  

• Like 1

EVA's comment leads to something else I've been thinking of. Does anybody else just not enjoy particular styles of matches that you used to? I used to be a mark for ladder matches, and now I find they do nothing for me. 

I used to love Big Japan when I was in high school because it was nasty as fuck and Jun Kasai is a crazy man. Now I can't even watch someone get hit oon the head with a chair, much less bodyslammed onto barbwire boards or slung into ropes that are on fire.

I used to love garbage style wrestling and the AJPW kings road or strong style shit, but now the former bores me and makes me think of a bunch of dudes stinking of B.O. going to watch that shit and I don't have much of a stomach for the latter. I love current NJPW, but even that makes me a little squeamish. I recently re-watched Okada vs Shibata and I just had this overwhelming sense of dread leading up not to the headbutt spot, but him stumbling around near the end and at the end of that match. 

Hell, even some WWE stuff bothers me when Sami would basically drop KO right on his head. 

Weirdly enough though, I still love a good brawl. Something that feels like a fucking fight. You need to be able to feel the hatred coming off of each dude and you need to feel that each guy wants to destroy the other. You could even involve weapons. Omega vs Jericho is a recent example of that. Like, if Reigns and Cena started off their match by going to the center of the ring and then going all Frye/Takayama on each other then I would have enjoyed that match  way more than I did. Wrestling needs more of I want to fuck this guy up because he's a dick and a piece of shit.

I also didn't like comedy wrestling before and have more of a taste for it now. I think that's because of my growing distaste for watching guys get dropped on their heads.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Halfaloaf said:

Unless someone's already mentioned it Enzo's gone. Something dodgy from the rape accusation yesterday, cos they made up their minds damn quick to get rid rather than suspend initially.

There's a thread for that.

• Sad 1