DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Hunter with the Tombstone on Undertaker is one of the greatest near falls in WM history.  Hunter's reaction to the kickout is priceless.  

Also,  I did not see the fucking Quebeccers losing the tag titles on the RAW list.  That was like my favorite all time RAW moment when I was in elementary.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

If for no other reason than it was the last time CRZ transcribed a RAW.  Now let's see who remembers THAT!

They may be warming up to him.  It is nice to extend an olive branch.

As for the winner of the Royal Rumble, here are the last 10 or so years.  When was the last time they made the right decision?

Royal Rumble 2005Batista (Entry #28)

Royal Rumble 2006 Rey Mysterio (Entry #2).

Royal Rumble 2007The Undertaker (Entry #30)

Royal Rumble 2008John Cena (Entry #30)

Royal Rumble 2009Randy Orton (Entry #8)

Royal Rumble 2010Edge (Entry #29)

Royal Rumble 2011Alberto Del Rio (Entry #38)

Royal Rumble 2012Sheamus (Entry #22)

Royal Rumble 2013John Cena (Entry #19)

Royal Rumble 2014 Batista (Entry #28)

Royal Rumble 2015 Roman Reigns (Entry #19)

Royal Rumble 2016Triple H (Entry #30)

Royal Rumble 2017 Randy Orton (Entry #23)

(I am just preparing for them to make the wrong decision AGAIN.)

I'll tackle this to see if my "the Rumble hasn't been any good in YEARS" theory holds true.

2017-No

2016-Eh, I lean towards yes because all their real plans were in the shitter.  On the brightside, I saved $300 on a ticket for a show I would have hated.

2015-Um, Daniel Bryan. NO.

2014-Um, Daniel Bryan. NO.

2013-Cena was clearly winning, but Ryback potentially throwing a wrench in helped.  Yes.

2012-No.  Jericho.  Feel like Jericho lost only because he said so assuredly that he was going to win.  And he got the main event title shot anyway.  And Sheamus got possibly one of the worst WM "main event" wins of all time as a result.

2011-No.  The one year they could have booked a jobber to win it and they blew it.  That place was ready to ERUPT  and....no.  The Royal Rumble would be a bigger deal if one year ANYBODY else won it.  And that was their best chance.

2010-Yes.  That's how you book a surprise return.

2009-Absolutely don't remember anything aside from Santino setting the record.  I default.

2008-I stand corrected.  THIS is how you book a surprise return.  Even his haters couldn't help but either cheer him or stay silent.

2007-Yes

2006-Yes, but that was a FUCKING HORRIBLE WAY to do it.

2005-Yes, but it didn't matter.  Both guys were getting title shots and winning.  It was a moot point.  And Vince tore both his quads over it.

I go 7-5-1 surprisingly.  Even then, it would take effort for me to show any emotion over three of those.  And absolutely ZERO of those got me excited over WrestleMania.  And it's a super weak 1-3 getting ready for this year's. Yet here I am, waiting for the damn show like shit is gonna change...

10 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

If for no other reason than it was the last time CRZ transcribed a RAW.  Now let's see who remembers THAT!

They may be warming up to him.  It is nice to extend an olive branch.

WWE is the one financing the suit against him. Dropping it would be more of an olive branch.

Seriously, the Rumble is a couple of weeks away. Normally we have a pretty clear idea of the 3-4 guys who are in the running.

Has anyone been built like that this year?

Roman is dealing more with Miz and the IC title to get a win. If we didnt have 6 months of "Vince wants Roman v Brock again" would he even be in the discussion?

There is some talk of Nakamura but he really looks to be going through the motions. I have never been more excited for a match than I was for Nak v Zayn. I rewatched it 4 times that weekend but Nak has been below average on the SDL roster. Would a Rumble win and title match at Mania spark him up?

Balor seems a good choice. He is being built up again and a Rumble win would give him that big push to the top. Probably my favorite right now but if Vince pulled him from the title match why would he turn around and win the Rumble?

If I had to make a call id say Balor wins and heads to SDL to take on AJ. Gives us the "workrate" match while Vince gets Roman v Brock on the Raw side but there is a chance here to elevate someone with a win. Its the most open Rumble (mostly due to iffy booking) in a long while I think.

• Like 1

I think the Balor-Styles path is the way to go down now that Braun is off the table. 

In my hypothetical crazy place, they should have held Brock-Braun to Mania.

Or you know struck when the iron was hot and put Braun over the first goddamn time.

Basically fuck Brock and his million year long boring as fuck title stranglehold.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

I think the Balor-Styles path is the way to go down now that Braun is off the table. 

In my hypothetical crazy place, they should have held Brock-Braun to Mania.

Or you know struck when the iron was hot and put Braun over the first goddamn time.

Basically fuck Brock and his million year long boring as fuck title stranglehold.

This. This. This. This. This. If only I could like this more than once.

• Like 1

2005 and 2015 had the right results but the execution was lacking.

A 3-way has got to be the direction for SD with Styles defending against Orton and Nakamura.  You have to keep Balor on Raw so Reigns has someone to defend against post-WM.  Lesnar beat Styles.  Balor beat Styles.  Balor beat Reigns.  Reigns beats Lesnar.  Now Reigns has to beat Balor.  Also, Balor never got or really pursued a rematch for the title he never lost.

I'd say Reigns to win the Rumble.  He needs to mollywhomp on some dudes for a good 20 minutes before winning though.  The mistake they made in 2015 other than bringing Bryan back was he was so inactive unlike 2014 where the people were with him cause he was shitcanning dudes left and right.  Hell, have him retain the IC title Monday and in the Elimination Chamber and do title vs. title at WM.  The white belt is worth more than the red belt at this point.

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

2005 and 2015 had the right results but the execution was lacking.

A 3-way has got to be the direction for SD with Styles defending against Orton and Nakamura.  You have to keep Balor on Raw so Reigns has someone to defend against post-WM.  Lesnar beat Styles.  Balor beat Styles.  Balor beat Reigns.  Reigns beats Lesnar.  Now Reigns has to beat Balor.  Also, Balor never got or really pursued a rematch for the title he never lost.

I'd say Reigns to win the Rumble.  He needs to mollywhomp on some dudes for a good 20 minutes before winning though.  The mistake they made in 2015 other than bringing Bryan back was he was so inactive unlike 2014 where the people were with him cause he was shitcanning dudes left and right.  Hell, have him retain the IC title Monday and in the Elimination Chamber and do title vs. title at WM.  The white belt is worth more than the red belt at this point.

The last time it was in Philly, Reigns won.  That reason alone is why I worry about the booking decision.  We all know how Philly crowds can be.

Philly at the end of 2015.  They've probably booed him out of the building since then though.

2015 was not a good booked Rumble.  Really, far more bad Royal Rumbles than good at this point.

I didn't remember Reigns already beating Balor.  He still has to beat Demon Balor though.  I think those are the rules that have been established by the Wyatt feud.

18 minutes ago, BEN! said:

I didn't remember Reigns already beating Balor.  He still has to beat Demon Balor though.  I think those are the rules that have been established by the Wyatt feud.

I believe The Demon King™ is undefeated, so it could be fun seeing people overreact to Reigns getting that nod. 

Eva Marie wrote an article for In Style admitting she is an alcoholic and how admitting it saved her life

http://www.instyle.com/celebrity/total-divas-star-natalie-eva-marie-alcoholics-anonymous-essay

I’m an alcoholic. I have relapsed, destroyed relationships, hurt my family, and disappointed myself numerous times. I will be an alcoholic for the rest of my life. The fact that I have been sober for almost five years doesn’t mean that I am "cured," it doesn’t mean that I had a drinking phase in my 20s, and it doesn’t mean that I can have a few drinks now and again or just drink in moderation. There are no shades of gray when it comes to alcoholism—it’s black and white. Either I am an alcoholic or I am not. Working a program doesn’t mean my past magically disappears and everything is fine. Unfortunately, nothing of note in life is that simple or easy. Yet the road to my recovery did start with a very simple admission: I am an alcoholic. And admitting that truth saved my life.

• Like 1

If a Raw guy wins the Rumble then how do they book the Elimination Chamber?  Both matches grant a world title match for the winner, unless they're going to put whomever is the Universal Champ in the EC match and have them defend it.  The EC winner getting a title shot at Mania seems a given so having a Raw wrestler win the Rumble would be redundant.  I'm fine with a Brock/Balor match at WM (still think Strowman should win the belt from him there personally) though he can earn the opportunity by winning the EC instead.

The other way to do it is basically just force the RAW person to have to defend their Mania match in the EC (this stip obviously would have worked better if this was during the Steph/HHH authority days)

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I believe The Demon King™ is undefeated, so it could be fun seeing people overreact to Reigns getting that nod. 

He lost to Joe as The Demon King at the end of his NXT run, but I'm pretty sure he's 3-0 on the main roster doing it.

• Like 1

Balor wins the Rumble. Declares that Angle never gave him a rematch so he is leaving RAW for dead and going to SDL. Triple H points to Kurt's failing as a GM to set up their match.

Brock pins Kane to retain after Braun dominates the match.

Braun wins the Chamber for a title shot at Mania. He eliminates Miz, Kane, Jordan & Rollins. During the match Rollins saves Jordan from elimination but then Jordan fails to save Rollins. Think HHH & Batista back in 05. Miz eliminates Reigns setting up that match for Mania.

• Like 2