DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

12 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Yeah. Good call on The Shield breakup. I was trying to think of a Shield moment, and that one slipped my mind for some reason. Maybe Batista and the Evolution reunion/Batista quitting again could be there somewhere just because of Batista's Hollywood status now? 

Chatting with a friend now about big RAW moments and can't think of anything really from just 2017 outside of the Festival of Friendship. Is it just that we're spoiled on big matches/moments now that it takes something huge to even make a blip on the radar, or is it that the writing has been so mediocre the past year?

Braun beating Roman up for five straight minutes has to be on there.

• Like 1

So I've got a question for anyone who might know. Obviously Wrestle Kingdom was today and so wrestling Twitter is going wild with their star ratings.

What I want to know is how come everyone rates wrestling on a 5 point scale? Leading to the absurdity of 4 3/4 stars and all that, which I've always felt was very arbitrary and not a bit silly. If people wanted that much granularity in rating matches how come we've not seen ratings out of 10 or even 20 catch on?

As long as I've been online I've wondered how that became the standard, it just always seems a bit silly to see quarter points as the standard system for rating wrestling.

19 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

RAW's 25th Anniversary is in two weeks. I was looking at the listing for the Top 100 RAW Moments DVD that was released for their 20th Anniversary (https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe-raw/2012/12/12/3758956/the-top-100-moments-in-raw-history-the-list) and then trying to think of new BIG moments from RAW over the past 5 years that may make it on to a list now. Can't think of many. Festival of Friendship, Shane Returning, Daniel Bryan turning on Bray Wyatt in the cage, and the YES Movement when people filled the ring was all I came up with off the top of my head. Any other "Top 100 RAW Moments" from the past 5 years you can think of?

Surprised I'm the first to nominate: Paul Heyman's post WrestleMania XXX Raw promo with Brock Lesnar ending the Undertaker's Undefeated Streak the night before.

The opening segment to the post WrestleMania XXXIII RAW opening with Thank You Taker/Roman Sucks chants and Roman Reigns getting nuclear heat brought up by @Godfrey.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

So I've got a question for anyone who might know. Obviously Wrestle Kingdom was today and so wrestling Twitter is going wild with their star ratings.

What I want to know is how come everyone rates wrestling on a 5 point scale? Leading to the absurdity of 4 3/4 stars and all that, which I've always felt was very arbitrary and not a bit silly. If people wanted that much granularity in rating matches how come we've not seen ratings out of 10 or even 20 catch on?

As long as I've been online I've wondered how that became the standard, it just always seems a bit silly to see quarter points as the standard system for rating wrestling.

Well movies usually are on a four star scale, so that probably influenced Meltzer to do it that way, and everyone else does it because he does it that way, or somesuch.

4 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Well movies usually are on a four star scale, so that probably influenced Meltzer to do it that way, and everyone else does it because he does it that way, or somesuch.

The story I remember is that it was originally a 4 star system until a Funk-Lawler match they saw was so great they decided to give it a 5th star. And the rest as they say is history. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

When you say movies are on a four star scale, is that an Ebert thing? Because I can't say I know of it in the UK.

I always wondered, the .1/4 stuff always just weirded me. 5/5 makes sense as someone who grew up reading games magazines where it'd usually be out of 5, 10 or 100 (though I can remember one magazine doing it out of 25) but they'd only ever use whole numbers.

It only makes sense to grade matches using a scale of economy that is relevant to where the match took place.

US matches are all about the finish & very rarely have big matches end on submissions. All about the 1-2-3 so they get a 3 star scale.

In Japan they have a 20 count for a ring out so they get a 20 star scale.

Lucha was founded in 1933 so they get a 1933 star scale.

Eg. a 2.5 star US match is the same as a 1610.83 match in Lucha.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Movie star rating system started in 1920s in New York.

To be wacky, when I was arts editor in college, we called the movie section Film Farm and graded films 0 to 4 and used pigs (4 was pork chops down to 0 for scrapple).

So the WWE has cancelled the 205Live House Show Friday Jan 19 show due to "routing and scheduling issues"

Aka - we weren't selling tickets and Enzo has "the flu"