DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL Draft

Gonzo

On 4/6/2018 at 10:22 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ryan Leaf, who's opinion matters for some reason, has said whoever gets drafted by Cleveland #1 should pull an Eli/Elway and refuse to play for them. 

Which is especially ridiculous since the Cushman character in Jerry Maguire seemed like it was based in part on Leaf. (though in retrospect I suppose it couldn't have been: 1996 movie release, 1998 draft. Blergh.)

I bet the Chargers wish Leaf had refused to play. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Miami Dolphins have invited members of the Parkland, Florida, community to announce the team's selections on the third day of next week's NFL draft, a team spokesman told ESPN.

As of now, plans call for 18 seniors from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, as well as the family of slain assistant football coach Aaron Feis, to participate in the announcements in Rounds 4-7.

• Like 2

Apparently the Giants are telling anyone that will listen that they've made their choice for #2 overall, and it's Saquon Barkley.  

My guess is they're trying to spook Cleveland into taking Barkley at #1 so they can grab Josh Allen.  

Seeing that headline made me think of the heydays of Brian Windhorst writing fluffy bullshit about the James-led Heat teams. "How many puff pieces can I write this week? Not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7..."

That said, there's a part of me that hopes they do consider (or even take) Mayfield, and also hopes that all of these QBs turn out to be spectacular busts, just to watch it all burn. Let it go down as the 2000 NBA draft of NFL drafts. I think that would be fucking hilarious.

Well if they draft Mayfield #1 they better get another one in the later rounds.   Not sure Cleveland is the kind of place for a highstrung immature guy not used to losing

The thought is that they are trying to scare someone (mostly the Jets) into something stupid.    

On 4/24/2018 at 12:03 PM, RIPPA said:

Jeff Garcia will be announcing one of the Bucs picks - is clearly bitter about it

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/24/jeff-garcia-will-make-a-buccaneers-pick-which-he-could-care-less-about/

LOl.  I don't get it.  Is he being paid to appear or something (that seems unlikely).  If not, um, you could have said no, dude.  

It's one thing to not be that interested since you're not an active player anymore.  It's another to show up just so you can act obnoxious and tell everyone you not that interested since you're not an active player anymore.

Weird.

I could see the Browns being able to get both the QB of their choice AND Barkley. Bills trading up to get a QB seems perfectly plausible, then the Jets will select whichever one of Mayfield/Darnold/Allen is left. Assuming that happens, I wonder if someone trades up with Denver to get Chubb?

General reminder about tonight

Please don't post every single pick in the thread. We can all follow draft tracks and Twitter. We don't need a pick by pick recap.

Also - please wait till a pick is made on TV (at least for the 1st round). All of the networks have announced that there guys will not be tipping picks on social media but folks like Jason La Canfora certainly will be.

Also also - if you don't want picks spoiled, you probably shouldn't be on social media while watching the draft

• Like 1