DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL Draft

Gonzo

Its a fair trade but not great for the Bills since the Colts were the most obvious team in the top 5 willing to trade down. Can't blame the Colts for trading with a team that also gets them the #6 pick. Not sure the easiest way for the Bills to get into the top six or so without over-paying for it, they may now wait until draft day to see if non-QBs are drafted early and a trade into the later Top 10 will get them whoever they want.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts move down again and add a couple of additional picks, maybe with a team like Buffalo.  They need more talent across the board, they aren't one player away from everything being ok.

On 3/17/2018 at 8:42 AM, Kuetsar said:

Seems like a bunch to give up to move up three spots. . . 

I'm sure keeping a division rival (Buffalo) from being able to move ahead of them was a motivating factor. 

On 3/18/2018 at 3:30 PM, BrianS81177 said:

I'm sure keeping a division rival (Buffalo) from being able to move ahead of them was a motivating factor. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo offered both of their firsts to leapfrog up to #2.

I sure hope not. I hope they stay pat(at least until draft day and they see how things shake out). With their draft stash they can bring in a bunch of premium talent, and get better faster. Of course fast forward to me bitching about AJ in the fall. . . .

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Apparently the current offer to the Giants is both Bills 1's, next year's 1, and a 2 from this or next year, depending on who you believe. 

That seems like... a lot. 

Well, it's the same price that the Skins gave up when they traded for the Rams pick in 2012 to get RG3, and that was only to move up from #6 to #2.

Buffalo would be moving up from #12 to #2, so it'd be a better deal than that one, FWIW...

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

Well, it's the same price that the Skins gave up when they traded for the Rams pick in 2012 to get RG3, and that was only to move up from #6 to #2.

Buffalo would be moving up from #12 to #2, so it'd be a better deal than that one, FWIW...

A couple of years ago when the Eagles moved from #8 to #2, the deal looked like this:

Browns receive: 2016 first-round pick (#8), 2016 third-round pick, 2016 fourth-round pick, 2017 first-round pick, 2018 second-round pick

Eagles receive: 2016 first-round pick (#2), 2017 fourth-round pick

If you go by the "Jimmy Johnson chart" rule that says a second-round pick this year is the same as a #1 the next year, that would mean the Bills are, essentially, giving up four #1 picks to move up ten spots.

Through that lens, that seems fucking insane.

• Like 1

The more pass happy the NFL gets, the more valuable a franchise quarterback becomes. If you see a guy that you think will be THE MAN for the next decade out there, I say pay whatever you can to get him. Then, you pay whatever you can to protect him. The Colts forgot about that part with Luck.

• Like 1

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/21/espn-not-conceding-the-nfl-draft-to-fox-without-a-fight/amp/

So the draft is going to be on ESPN, Fox abd the NFL Network all three days, and on ESPN2 the first two days and ABC the third day? 

Yeah that makes logic

21 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

lol ABC really hitting the homerun with that day three coverage

I assume that will just turn into "let's talk about the first round for 4 hours".

Well they aren't going to give up prime time during the week to be the fourth network broadcasting this.

My new favorite scenario I've seen like 10 mock drafts for is The New York Football Giants somehow getting outwitted by the Browns and trading OBJ and the #2 overall to go up to #1 to take Sam Darnold. 

With the Browns "settling" for Josh Allen and Saquon at 4. 

At that point, I think *I* might have to review SuperBrawl 2000 or something. 

While I don't think the Wonderlic is particularly important, especially for some positions, it is still interesting to look at for quarterbacks since its generally the position that requires the most advanced thinking. So that last score if true isn't ideal. Although I am still surprised they have players take it though since I've never seen it have any impact on draft status.

Wonderlic scores for 2018 QBs

Josh Allen: 37

Josh Rosen: 29

Sam Darnold: 28

Baker Mayfield: 25

Lamar Jackson: 13

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

While I don't think the Wonderlic is particularly important, especially for some positions, it is still interesting to look at for quarterbacks since its generally the position that requires the most advanced thinking. So that last score if true isn't ideal. Although I am still surprised they have players take it though since I've never seen it have any impact on draft status.

Wonderlic scores for 2018 QBs

Josh Allen: 37

Josh Rosen: 29

Sam Darnold: 28

Baker Mayfield: 25

Lamar Jackson: 13

I don't know how much advanced thinking it takes to play quarterback.  It isn't calculus or some advanced economic idea, it's looking where people are lined up and deciding where to throw a ball.  I think it is more about being quick and decisive, not actually being any more or less intelligent than anyone else.  For instance, if any of these quarterbacks are prone to do incredibly dumb things on the field, Josh Allen seems to be the most likely.  He scored the highest, but the biggest knock on him is if things don't go exactly right, he's prone to mistakes.  Never forget, Peyton Manning's mom had to hang diagrams in his closet so he knew how to dress himself.  Intelligence is relative, and on top of that, it is not a indicator for success in football or life.  

Yeah, I think there was some Madden version or another (perhaps 07 - that's the last one I can remember picking up used on Gamecube) where you're supposed to create a character and go through the process of drafting and all that for their career. I recall doing the Wonderlic and getting 48s or perfect scores and thinking, "Holy shit, if this is what they're testing, then hey, big news story: EVERY QB is dumber than a box of rocks!" It was...Tuesday trivia night stuff at its most difficult. The only challenging bit was simply getting through 50 questions in 12 minutes, which does get back to the point about quick decision-making and little else.