DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Pretty happy about this signing.

Younger, cheaper version of Stewart

The history of Broncos RBs after leaving Denver is not pretty.

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

CJ Anderson to Carolina.  No terms disclosed. 

Apparently a big part of Anderson signing was a call from J Stew talking him into it.

I assume it went something like "Dude!  They'll just keep giving you tons of money no matter how many running backs they have!  Do it!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really had no idea where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread: is there a good reason there are like 37 different arena football leagues???

No worries @JLSigman

Ben Navarro - who was leading the group trying to get Peyton - has pulled out of the bidding.

All signs point to the team being sold to David Tepper (who is currently a minority owner of the Steelers)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hey - at least you know he has money

And apparently a giant set of brass balls...

Tepper has a pair of brass testicles. Cartoonishly huge and grotesquely veiny, they are affixed to a plaque inscribed with the words THE MOST VALUABLE SET OF ALL TIME and are not at all out of place in Appaloosa’s offices, which resemble a high-end sports bar—all polished mahogany and flat-screen TVs and black-and-gold Steelers paraphernalia—or a wealthy frat house. (“We had this client, they make breast implants,” says a former employee. “He loved to keep them on the desk, he’d love to throw them around.”) Appaloosa is staffed almost entirely by men.

http://nymag.com/news/features/establishments/68513/index3.html

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, sabremike said:

I really had no idea where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread: is there a good reason there are like 37 different arena football leagues???

Money. A lot of the AFL teams were losing money because of all the travel. Some stopped operating, some joined local arena leagues. Cost of players and travel goes down, chance to turn profits goes up. The OG AFL is down to just four teams this season, two of them owned by the same person.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Money. A lot of the AFL teams were losing money because of all the travel. Some stopped operating, some joined local arena leagues. Cost of players and travel goes down, chance to turn profits goes up. The OG AFL is down to just four teams this season, two of them owned by the same person.

It just sucks that it's like a football version of "How many divisions does the Pope have?". AFL is Philly, Baltimore, DC and Albany right? Basically it's a bogus league at this point which makes me sad.

On 5/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, hammerva said:

So apparently Peyton Manning is trying to be a part-owner of the Panthers.  

Also the new Lions head coach is trying to convince people he didn't sexually assault someone in 1996

With the resources an NFL club has at it's disposal, how the hell do you miss that?  Patricia wasn't just accused, he was indicted but the case never went to trial after the alleged victim stopped cooperating.  It seems she didn't want to go through a trial.  So, yeah, that was out there for people to find.

The whole thing makes me queasy.  The alleged version of events I heard is that Patricia and a friend burst/broke into the woman's room during Spring Break and took turns assaulting her.  I'm assuming that means "raping" 'her.  Patricia says he is innocent and never got his day in court.  Fair enough.  But I've heard a number of sports radio takes saying that the woman needs to come forward and "defend her honor" (someone actually said that) and prove that this attack took place.  

Um, no she doesn't.  She didn't dredge this up and urge the Lions to fire Patricia.  She filed a police report 20-whatever years ago, decided she didn't want to testify, and that was the end of that.  It's not on her to prove anything because the media got hold of an old story.

Also, too many of the hot takes seem to be subtly siding with Patricia because,.... reasons.  The idea that the (alleged) victim "needs" to come forward and prove this event took place smacks of blaming the victim.  Again, she didn't bring this up by making a fresh accusation.  The idea that the woman has to step out into the public eye and prove something probably unprovable took place 20 years ago, solely because the accused has become a public figure, is wacky and smacks of blaming the victim.  Sure, maybe it was all a case of mistaken identity, or she sobered up the next morning and regretted consensual sex.  I dunno.  i wasn't there and those things happen.  However, the wife and i have worked with or volunteered for a number of shelters and domestic abuse services over the years and my general impression is that false accusations happen a lot less often than people (lol, men) want to believe.  Generally, if a woman is willing to file a police report, testify in court, be outed and possibly harassed publicly, etc., there's a good reason.  Not too many women want to be branded as a victim if they don't need to be.

(I have no idea what the stats for false accusations are.  I'm just stating my opinion based on the wife and my experiences.)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

(I have no idea what the stats for false accusations are.  I'm just stating my opinion based on the wife and my experiences.)

Somewhere between 3% - 5% is what I usually see.

1 in 12 (8%) is what the FBI says. That's provably false claims. There's also false, but can't be proven as such, on top of that. 

Far as I'm concerned, Patricia doesn't have to convince anybody. Innocent until proven guilty. Being indicted means nothing. Indictments are very easy to obtain. And, yes, I'd say the same thing if he was the coach of the Bears. 

Pittsburgh Steelers minority owner David Tepper is expected to sign the deal Tuesday to buy the Panthers and keep them in Carolina, a league source told ESPN's Seth Wickersham and Adam Schefter.

A source confirmed to ESPN that the Panthers will be sold for $2.2 billion. That will set a record for the highest sale price for an NFL team, surpassing the $1.4 billion that the Buffalo Bills were sold for in 2014. The NBA's Houston Rockets also sold for $2.2 billion in 2017.

The Charlotte Observer first reported the Panthers' sale price.

The deal would be expected to be approved at the owners meetings in Atlanta on May 22. The purchase needs to get approval from the NFL financial committee and then three-fourths approval from the 32 owners.

Tepper, the founder of global hedge fund Appaloosa Management, has a net worth of $11 billion, according to Forbes, and is committed to keeping the team in Charlotte. Under league rules, Tepper must put up at least 30 percent of the selling price.

Because Tepper, 60, is a minority owner of the Steelers, he has already passed the league's vetting process. He currently owns 5 percent of the Steelers and would have to sell that interest before completing the Panthers purchase.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23509278/david-tepper-sign-carolina-panthers-purchase-deal

Per reports - Arizona will host Super Bowl LVII and New Orleans will host LVIII

The list of awarded Super Bowls becomes

• 2019 (LIII) - Atlanta
  • 2020 (LIV) - Miami
  • 2021 (LV) - Tampa Bay
  • 2022 (LVI) - LA
  • 2023 (LVII) - Arizona
  • 2024 (LVIII) - New Orleans

The recent Supreme Court ruling probably means that the NFL will put 2025 in Vegas once they stop faking that they are upset

• Haha 2