DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Sacks is the stat lots of people use to look at d-linemen. It's the one that gets talked about the most and is the one that is tracked the easiest, linemen on both sides of the ball are hard to accurately judge without watching a lot of games with the players. Talking heads and news reports will talk about guys getting a lot of sacks but will ignore guys who disrupt the game in other ways such as taking double teams to free up linebackers, closing lanes or even QB hurries don't get enough attention.

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Get drafted #1 overall

It feels like more than that though.  Are we out here complaining about Eric Fisher?  Andrew Luck is more injury prone than Clowney, and he tends to get a pass.  People give Sam Bradford all the chances in the world for some reason.  I don't even think Jameis gets all that much nitpicky stuff.  Clowney is the best out of all of those dudes, but people point out his flaws way more than they celebrate his success.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Eric Ebron will now be dropping passes for the Colts

I was so scared that the Lions were going to re-sign him because he played well the last month or so of the season.

22 hours ago, supremebve said:

I have no idea what Clowney has done to make so many people nitpick him, but he's been pretty incredible over the last couple of years.  He's legitimately one of the most destructive defensive players in the league.  People expect him to be a 15 sack pass rusher, but that's not really what he's asked to do.  He's the guy who destroys running lanes, rampages through your entire screen pass game, and makes everything harder for the offense just by being an unblockable tasmanian devil.  

I live where he went to college, and there were a lot of times when he would get himself into trouble for stupid shit, decide he didn't want to practice because he didn't want to, etc. Yeah, he got that one massive hit, but he was inconsistent.

On one hand (I didn't intend the pun when writing it but when I saw it I was like Dammit - I am keeping it)...

Okay - on one hand - this really seems like the Gettleman I know in passing from the Panthers days.

But on the other - the Giants are switching to a 3-4 so JPP probably didn't fit as well anymore and it gives them cap room (in theory)

2 hours ago, Josh Mann said:

Suh rumor du jour is the Rams making a play for him. 

Suh and Aaron Donald side by side is potentially terrifying.

How the hell would you block them? God damn

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

How the hell would you block them? God damn

The only potential problem I see is that both of them should probably be playing next to a nose tackle.  If they are both ends, and you have a massive block eating nose tackle between them, they could be completely unblockable.  I don't know how it would work if either of those guys had to play nose, or if they put a sub par nose tackle between them.  I think the biggest problem would be that their linebackers kind of suck and you can try to double team both of those guys and get away with it.  If they get Suh to go along with Talib and Peters...that pass defense could be ferocious.

2 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Say the scouts about the guy dwarfed by cameramen and journalists, let alone his own linemen. 

Look, if someone signs a woman beating, cocaine addicted quarterback, who has never even average, before they sign a dude who took a knee for racial equality...I don't know how much more time I have for this sport.

• Like 1