DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

28 minutes ago, DouglasC said:

I was so hoping the Browns would play the Bills in '18 just so he could 'Fuck You' the team for the Peterman crap last year. Sadly, they don't appear to beĀ on the schedule.

I highly doubt it would have gone that way, if any defense knows how to play against Tyrod, it is the Bills.

I like Tyrod but the writing was on the wall for this one for over a year. I'm actually really happy they got a high 3rd round pick for him because I thought they were just going to cut him anyway, and I was afraid that Tyrod's playoff performance would hurt his trade value. Now they have another decent pick they can bundle to trade up into the Top 5 (the Bills have 2 1st, 2 2nd, and 2 3rd round picks this year) which I assume is their intention. I'm not thrilled to see Tyrod go like some, he is a solid player and always had a good attitude, but I watched every snap of the Bills' last year and I understand why the Bills are looking to move in a different direction.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I highly doubt it would have gone that way, if any defense knows how to play against Tyrod, it is the Bills.

I like Tyrod but the writing was on the wall for this one for over a year. I'm actually really happy they got a high 3rd round pick for him because I thought they were just going to cut him anyway, and I was afraid that Tyrod's playoff performance would hurt his trade value. Now they have another decent pick they can bundle to trade up into the Top 5 (the Bills have 2 1st, 2 2nd, and 2 3rd round picks this year) which I assume is their intention. I'm not thrilled to see Tyrod go like some, he is a solid player and always had a good attitude, but I watched every snap of the Bills' last year and I understand why the Bills are looking to move in a different direction.

Now I'm laughing my ass off imagining then bundling this with a few other picks to get a top five selection from.... The Cleveland Browns!

I like the move for Cleveland here. They bring him as a bridge to whoever they draft, and hopefully they actually get a few wins in the process. If the O line doesn't get him killed, and everyone stays healthy and unsuspended, they've got weapons to scare any D coordinator. Taylor doesn't have to be great, just his usual low turnover self and get the ball in their hands, etc etc.

This is the Browns though, so I'm mostly just waiting to see what form the hilarious failure takes.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Now I'm laughing my ass off imagining then bundling this with a few other picks to get a top five selection from.... The Cleveland Browns!

I like the move for Cleveland here. They bring him as a bridge to whoever they draft, and hopefully they actually get a few wins in the process. If the O line doesn't get him killed, and everyone stays healthy and unsuspended, they've got weapons to scare any D coordinator. Taylor doesn't have to be great, just his usual low turnover self and get the ball in their hands, etc etc.

This is the Browns though, so I'm mostly just waiting to see what form the hilarious failure takes.

Its quite possible, I assumed the Bills would be looking to go somewhere between the 3rd and 7th, depending on their QB of choice, since the #1 pick is generally stupid expensive.

I don't necessarily think its a bad trade for the Browns, some trades help both teams, but from the Bills perspective considering they already had decided to move on from Tyrod it was a best-case scenario to get that high of a pick and before he was due his roster bonus next week. I hope he does well there.

I find it both smart (they clearly don't want Tyrod) and really fucking stupid (everything with Tyrod over the last couple years) on their part.

But they definitely can't go into next year trying to sell you guys solely on Peterman, right?

I get that it's the Browns so one guy will probably blow his knee, another will get a DUI or something, and they'll fuck it all up. But I really like what they're trying to do here. Shit, at least they are taking a shot at improving and not just meandering around in the wasteland.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I find it both smart (they clearly don't want Tyrod) and really fucking stupid (everything with Tyrod over the last couple years) on their part.

But they definitely can't go into next year trying to sell you guys solely on Peterman, right?

Nah, moving Tyrod cleared up 10 mil in cap space, I still expect them to get a mid-tier vet in free agency and draft a QB. It may just depend on how high they trade up (if they do) if the rookie will be the starter or unknown veteran. I just hope its not Yates again.

If I had my way they'd get a free agentĀ that is start-ready and not trade five picks to move up to get a QB as the Bills have plenty of other holes to fill. Maybe still draft a QB, just not mortgage the entire draft for one.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If I had my way they'd get a free agentĀ that is start-ready and not trade five picks to move up to get a QB as the Bills have plenty of other holes to fill. Maybe still draft a QB, just not mortgage the entire draft for one.

But getting a "franchise" QB fixes everything!

Curious what would be a better place for a free agent QB to go to: the Jets or the Bills?Ā  Ā Kind of a push although I mean the Bills were a playoff team albeit a terrible playoff team.Ā  I guess it depends on how good McCoy still is.Ā  Ā Plus there is less pressure than playing for the Bills.Ā 

Ā Unless they trade up I don't see them getting a top 3 QB in the draft.Ā  Maybe they can get Mayfield if there are videos popping up with him passed out on a flotation device or with dollar bills in the bathroom.Ā Ā 

Specifically regarding the Bills trading up

It seemed likely in December that the Browns and Giants would take quarterbacks with the first two selections in April, but that's not clear anymore. At the very least, it seems like there's a chance that Saquon Barkley and Bradley Chubb are the first two picks of the draft. Suddenly, the Colts at No. 3 could be kingmakers with an entire quarterback class still on the board, and the Bills have the assets to move up. If Buffalo packages its two first-round picks (Nos. 21 and 22), its own second-round pick (No. 53) and the third-rounder it just got from the Browns, the Bills would amass 2,215 points of trade capital on the Jimmy Johnson chart. That's nearly a perfect match for the third overall pick, which is valued at 2,200 points.

That's from Barnwell's excellent article breaking down the trades from all sides

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22706747/making-sense-2018-cleveland-browns-nfl-trades-tyrod-taylor-jarvis-landry

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Richard Sherman has signed with the Niners

Ā 

I eagerly await all the 49er fans who have shit talked him for years praising him now that he's on their team. Good for Sherman though, I've always liked the guy.Ā 

• Like 1

The Browns figured out if youĀ stockpile picks and clear cap space for 20 years it gives them a fighting a chance.Ā  They were working us.Ā Ā 

I like this Sherman deal.Ā  I've never liked him obviously but now he's ourĀ obnoxious corner so here we go.Ā  Sounds like it's loaded with incentive stuff.Ā 

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Browns figured out if youĀ stockpile picks and clear cap space for 20 years it gives them a fighting a chance.Ā  They were working us.Ā Ā 

I like this Sherman deal.Ā  I've never liked him obviously but now he's ourĀ obnoxious corner so here we go.Ā  Sounds like it's loaded with incentive stuff.Ā 

If he can come back to even 90% of what he was before the injury, you're gonna be a very happy fan.Ā