DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

20 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

I'm sure this will work out well and have no reprocussions at all.

I kinda imagine SF ending up with salary cap issues, trying to pay the offensive line $10 and a gift card to 7-11, and Jimmy G. spends a lot of his fall Sundays on his back admiring the birds as they fly overhead.

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

It's always struck me as weird that the NFL has so many more players per team and doesn't have an individual salary cap, while the NBA does and is just as affected (if not moreso) by a single player's presence on a team.

Well NBA also has totally guaranteed contracts and a soft cap.

It's only gonna get worse. Matt Ryan's contract is up after this season. If Jimmy G is worth 27.5 a year for having started a grand total of 7 games you know Ryan's camp is gonna be shooting to top that. And then after Ryan gets paid, Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are both gonna be due. 

7 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Apparenly Jimmy G's contract is massively front-loaded because of how much cap space the 49ers have right now and he's getting like $40+ million out of the first season, which even after taxes is... *checks math* a large sum of money.

Still only enough for a studio apartment in SF. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 2/9/2018 at 2:39 PM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I kinda imagine SF ending up with salary cap issues, trying to pay the offensive line $10 and a gift card to 7-11, and Jimmy G. spends a lot of his fall Sundays on his back admiring the birds as they fly overhead.

Yeah, but 7-11 does have Bring Your Own Cup Day.

Just have to find a way to make it fit through the hole.

12 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22393490/kevin-stefanski-minnesota-vikings-not-allowed-interview-new-york-giants

There must be something beneath the surface, but not a good look for the Vikings, why would a coach go there if they couldn't move up?

Because the NFL rule about assistant coach interviews is dumb.

For whatever reason, they consider a move to any position that isn't a head coaching job a "lateral move," and can therefore be blocked by the team. Stefanski is still under contract, so they exercised that option.

I'm assuming that part of it is that they're expecting John DeFilippo to be a head coaching candidate next year, and if that happens they might have a "wink wink" agreement with him to bump him to the OC position.

Still, it's stupid. It's a clear promotion, and teams shouldn't be able to prevent that. As things stand now, however, them's the rules.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22393490/kevin-stefanski-minnesota-vikings-not-allowed-interview-new-york-giants

There must be something beneath the surface, but not a good look for the Vikings, why would a coach go there if they couldn't move up?

I have no problem with this. You already took one coach, they don't have to give you two. 

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

I have no problem with this. You already took one coach, they don't have to give you two. 

Fair point, and a contract is a contract. But I wouldn't go there if I had a choice as an assistant either.. . . 

On 2/11/2018 at 6:47 PM, Kuetsar said:

Fair point, and a contract is a contract. But I wouldn't go there if I had a choice as an assistant either.. . . 

I don't see this having even the slightest effect on their hiring of assistants.