DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

LOL at this sad sack sports town (I work in suburban DC and am surrounded by Skins fans).   Always ready to go all in for the next savior Snyder buys up, thinking one good player is going to make a difference, falling for this shit every time.  Everybody in DC loved RG3 (shit, there was a car in my parking lot with a fucking "RGIII" vanity plate) until they didn't, then they were all about Cousins due to the sole qualification of "well, he's not RGIII."  Now that Cousins has proven to be laughably average, it's Alex Smith time. 

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

No word on if Snyder actually defecated on Kirk Cousins' front porch as well.

I am 100% on board with Alex Smith Getting His Money, especially if it's at the expense of Daniel Snyder's rube ass.

Fleece that fucker, Alex!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

FOX was awarded the Thursday night game package.

They paid $100 million more ($550 million total) than what NBC/CBS paid jointly for the last deal.

This is why the Thursday games are never going away

Actually, ESPN is saying Fox is paying $660/year million for 11 games.  $60 million/game.

The NBC/CBS deal that just ended worked out to $45 million per game.

That should (but won't) put an end to all those "the NFL sky is falling" articles.

Also, FOX sold their production studio, so they need all the content they can get. And they are gonna have all that sweet sweet Disney cash...

The Redskins/Cousins thing would be hard to work out. If they put the exclusive tag on him, they couldn't trade him until he signed it, and if he refused to sign it then it would just be a staring contest until either he signed it or they removed it. The risk for Cousins if they did tag him and he didn't sign it, the tag can be removed at any time if it isn't signed. So say if its August and Cousins hasn't signed it, they could remove it and Cousins would have to scramble to find a team that still has the desire/cap space to sign him to a big deal.  The risk for the Redskins is if he signed it, they'd be the hook for the money if they couldn't find a trade partner and they'd have two expensive QBs next year. Sounds interesting.

There is no way they can franchise him and trade him because no team would want him because the tag would put him at cap hit that no one is going to pay

(Keim is the ESPN Skins beat reporter)

I mean, theoretically a team could trade for him with the intention of working out a new deal but it appears Cousins wouldn't do that.

Technically the Browns and maybe the Jets could actually afford that hit if they were really confident they could get him to re-sign next year. Cleveland does have over $100 million in cap room.

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The Redskins/Cousins thing would be hard to work out. If they put the exclusive tag on him, they couldn't trade him until he signed it, and if he refused to sign it then it would just be a staring contest until either he signed it or they removed it. The risk for Cousins if they did tag him and he didn't sign it, the tag can be removed at any time if it isn't signed. So say if its August and Cousins hasn't signed it, they could remove it and Cousins would have to scramble to find a team that still has the desire/cap space to sign him to a big deal.  The risk for the Redskins is if he signed it, they'd be the hook for the money if they couldn't find a trade partner and they'd have two expensive QBs next year. Sounds interesting.

Yeah, if he signs it, between that and the rumored extension that they were going to give Alex Smith, they'd have about $60 million tied up in the quarterback position, and nobody's trading for Cousins if he's at $34 million.

It's just mind-blowing that Washington would even contemplate it, and might be part of the reason why you don't announce trades like the Alex Smith deal in January.

6 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Yeah, if he signs it, between that and the rumored extension that they were going to give Alex Smith, they'd have about $60 million tied up in the quarterback position, and nobody's trading for Cousins if he's at $34 million.

It's just mind-blowing that Washington would even contemplate it, and might be part of the reason why you don't announce trades like the Alex Smith deal in January.

I'm not an expert in it but I'd assume if a team traded for Cousins, as long as it was before July 15th they'd then have a chance to sign him to a long term deal so they wouldn't have to pay him $34 for the first year. But its still risky, since teams will know the Redskins are just bluffing and will remove the tag eventually, so they could just wait. And Cousins could just not sign it before that deadline.  I don't blame the Redskins for at least looking into it but it just sounds like it would take the perfect storm for it to work out for them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I reckon they'll wait until Wentz is ready to go before they make any decisions as financially I'm sure they can keep both, at least for the upcoming season.

I was being semi-facetious.  There's roughly zero chance they keep both, especially because any one of the following will probably make an overwhelming offer for Foles (OR Wentz): Jacksonville, Denver, New York, Buffalo, and Cleveland.  

Foles is an ~$8M cap hit next season and just won a god damned Super Bowl MVP.  To put it mildly, the market for him will be decently high.