DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Is it bad I've already accepted Bioware is dead, it just doesn't know it yet? They are making a game that is specifically marketed to a style of game that is having MAJOR backlash. The time to make an Anthem style game was a year or two ago. Any way they set up to make money of a Destiny style of game at this point involving micro transactions is going to get major backlash. It's a game style BioWare has 0 experience in. They are moving away from all of their strengths because EA wants that sweet Destiny money. Everything about this project, with the direction the gaming industry is going (AKA, general unrest with this add on bullshit) screams major problems.

So yeah, there are 2 ways this goes: It's either an incredible game, or it has major problems because BioWare has problems with the Frostbite engine, it's a style of game that is going majorly out of style, and because there are gonna be a ton of people pissed EA has sacrificed one of the best RPG studios of all time to develop a game that isn't really their style cause that money.

Its more sad than anything else.

The "live game" model is definitely not going out of style any time soon.  Its the future of the business (for the near-term, at least).  Every major publisher is putting their emphasis on those types of games.  What you're seeing right now isn't the death of gaming model but rather the growing pains of a relatively new model that big companies haven't quite figured out yet.  I supposed it's probable that they never will, that there is no method of monetizing these games that keeps them profitable while keeping gamers happy, but it's way too early to tell.

Yeah, I know more people that have switched over to the Division or Rainbow Six Siege than I do people still playing Destiny. It's why I bought Siege and why I'll probably wind up getting the Division if I see my friends sticking to it. It's crazy for how much the Division and Siege turned things around. Both seem to be saying to hell with sequels and going with seasons or yearly updates instead.

Division 2 has been in development for a little while now.  Which might be a good thing for that franchise.  I borrowed a copy and tried to give it a shot during the holidays but found it almost impenetrable as a new player.  The menus are horrible, the map is inscrutable, and there's just a general lack of direction from the game as to what you're supposed to be doing at any time.

The game also weirdly disincentivizes new players who are trying to get help from current players, as the moment a low-level character joins up with a high-level character, the difficult automatically jumps up to match the highest level player.  The low level guy can do virtually no damage to enemies and gets OHK in return, basically meaning he has to go hide in a corner while the other guy carries him through missions.  It's anti-fun, and the exact opposite of how welcoming Destiny is.

I can see how there are some good things going on with the Division right now, but I am WAY more likely to jump into Division 2 than I am to slog through leveling up in this game.

• Like 1

So, the personnel swap that killed ME:A's DLC did not help Anthem meet the projected 2018 release date.

I am really glad I am not near any breakables right now.

I suppose that gives me a year to simmer down and see if I can even remotely try to forgive Bioware. 

Forgiveness does not mean that I have to buy Anthem or a future Dragon Age game, though.  I am still nurturing a seething hatred for EA.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:47 PM, Death From Above said:

To the surprise of absolutely no one: 

Apparently this is where I'm supposed to deposit my FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK EA/BIOWARE for flushing one of the great video game series of all time down the toilet for this pile of shit.

And no, I don't care how awesome it allegedly is. It's a pile of shit.

• Like 1

After that game drops, the current administration will ask to bring sanctions against the French government.

If you account for the future tariffs, the next Assassin's Creed and Just Dance games will retail for about three thousand dollars in the US.

The review of FarCry5 will consist of four words:  very very  bad game.

• Haha 2

To be fair, they probably started that game before Disney bought Marvel and SW, so it's understandable.

KH3 however, is a game I'll believe it's coming out when it's on a store shelf.

• Like 1