DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I came pretty close to buying Paradise for PS4, but then I realized I have a Steam copy I never downloaded and a Steam Link, so "wanting to play it without hooking up my PS3 again" wasn't really an excuse.  I hope you have as much fun as I did; I've probably sunk more time into it than I have all other racing games combined back to Atari days.

• Like 1

Retro game shops in middle-sized towns are still the best place in the world to be - grabbed a handful of promising-looking Xbox and PS2 games at one of the many lovely Just Press Play locations in the York and Lancaster, PA area. Stuff I remember nabbing good reviews in the publications I came across.

The Taito Legends pack is like a lot of the other arcade compilations I've picked up - I know and enjoy a a few of the games, I know and would rather avoid a few more, and then the rest is some weird shit that an inevitable gem or three will be hidden among. Tube It!, AKA Cachat, is basically a falling-block version of Pipe Mania and it's friggin' brutal. The girlfriend got all the way up to level 7 after a good hour or two of it. Also really enjoyed Greatest Swordsman, a fencing/kendo/gladiator from the early eighties that's got a real addictive quality to it (and a great bonus stage). Plus there's two versions of Qix I've never ever heard of.

Grabbed a copy of Sega Soccer Slam for three bucks cause I remember it getting a good review in EGM when I was in middle school or something. Also picked up Ace Combat: Shattered Skies because I remember seeing it *everywhere* but never realized it was an original story set in an alternate world, not just the same ol' war sim. I promised my younger self I'd chip away at this stuff and it usually ends up being worth it. I have no regrets not knowing what Fortnite even is - I'm good at Metal Slug, man.

• Like 2

SEGA Soccer Slam is one of the best arcade sports games ever made. It is so fucking good. The single-player game has quite a lot of unlockables, there is some minor upgrading via extra gear to wear, and it has the best representation of character stereotypes this side of Punch-Out!! The Australian character is named Boomer and yells "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oye! Oye! Oye!" after scoring a goalin the most delightfully animated way.

That's not even getting to the gameplay, which is utterly satisfying, especially chipping the goalkeeper. By that, I mean that every time the keeper saves a power shot, it chips his armor that he's wearing and he becomes easier to score on. 

That game is dope as fuck. Probably put a couple hundred hours into it on OG Xbox between single player and local multiplayer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Retro game shops in middle-sized towns are still the best place in the world to be 

This.  Our college town has quite a few retro game stores - probably too many for an area this size.  I was kinda gutted when a couple of good ones closed last year - probably put out of business by a new retro game store that - gasp - is actually organized and run intelligently.  One of the closures was part of a chain, so there are still stores in the same chain within driving distance.  The other one is a loss - a weird, unorganized retro game store/vhs-dvd-vinyl/pinball machines and arcade games/anime/whatever store that was run by a couple of burnt-out hippy types.  Always fun to drop by and see what goofy rare stuff they had on the shelves that week.  They were terrible businessmen, though.  I'm kinda surprised they had an official closing complete with going out-of-business sale.  KInda thought they'd just stop paying rent, clean out the store at 3 AM on a Sunday morning, and disappear.

Also, I bought Taito Legends a few weeks back for the sole purpose of getting Elevator Action.  Love that game.

I'm so deep in PS2 games, I may never get around to PS4 games.  Currently playing Pride of the Dragon Peace (never released in the US) and a cute platformer called Klonoa 2.

• Like 1

Sea of Thieves is out and you can try it for free for two weeks if you haven't already used the Xbox game pass trial. If anybody is down my gamer tag is Dellamorte1985 (fuck paying $10 to change that shit). I'm on pc but it's got seamless crossplay for you xboners out there. 

Game pass is a pretty great deal with SoT out now and State of Decay 2 dropping in May. 

Previously stated "It's never getting DLC because we just let some devs fuck around and make a cool game" Sonic Mania...  Is getting a DLC upgrade and rerelease this summer.

The demo is extremely limited especially with the 35GB size.  Most of the city is blocked off and none of the side activities are available besides a few restaurants.  Basically you can just walk around and get into fights.  You can level up some stats and carry that over to the full game, but apparently any trophies triggered won't.

With the Japanese version, the demo basically existed to show off the new engine and how much better everything looked.  This is basically that- I had to have it download overnight last night since it's so fucking huge so I won't get a chance to play it until today, but one thing for everyone to try is get in a fight and then run into a restaurant; in the full game you can fight inside the restaurant and then you get banned from eating there for a while.

At the Yakuza art show over the weekend they announced we're getting Kiwami 2 in the states later this year.

I doubt we'll ever get the Fist of the North Star Yakuza game over here but I want it so bad that I might import.

New Cyberpunk 2077 info

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd-projekt-shares-new-cyberpunk-2077-info.31241/

Highlights:

• Game will seemingly be at E3, with what they’re showing at E3 being announced just before. Said they didn’t want to confirm yet.
  • The campaign is singleplayer and very expansive, and will be the first thing they show.
  • It sounds like the multiplayer might be added post launch, but they don’t want to talk about it yet. Everything is on the table in regards to it, including Battle Royale modes. This makes sense as they did a lot of the multiplayer staff hiring more recently, so they might need more time to finish that.
  • To be clear about the above, an investor asked if the multiplayer would be a Battle Royale mode, and they said anything and everything was on the table, so you shouldn’t necessarily assume it’s a Battle Royale mode. They’re probably still deciding what all the components are, but judging by their job postings, half the multiplayer design team was just hired (which seems to be led by Krakow, who did the DLC for The Witcher 3).
  • The game has a character creator and you still can pick your class, despite rumors.
  • The studio can’t officially comment on next-gen as its not announced, but assured investors their game will scale to it.
  • No microtransactions for the singleplayer mode.
  • No current plans for a Switch version.

I'm so jonesing for what they will do with multi-player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

No Switch release is honestly not a big surprise given how long this project has already existed, they were probably already a fair way into basic development before they could have had a look at the hardware.

Yeah, understandable since they mainly demographic is PC. Switch version of any of their stuff would require a whole new division.

I have been trying out Slay the Spire today, it's still early access but I can see why it has so much hype. It's one of those deckbuilder games where you figure out the basics in a few minutes then it slowly starts to reveal itself. Chill game, seems like a great singleplayer deckbuilder. No bullshit where you have to pay for more cards or whatever. It really has the feel of a game that if you played it on tabletop none of the rules would change, but it plays so much better and faster as a PC game since you don't have to keep track of tokens and whatnot. I am curious to see how things go, as so far it has had weekly updates. Really decent game from what I saw of it so far. (like 2 hours) I might put it aside for a while until full release though, like I am with Dead Cells. That one is supposed to be really close to release now.

It's funny how when Early Access on Steam started everyone was hyped, then there was a time people really started to sour on it because too many projects went nowhere, but now in the last few months and going forward there appear to be a lot of really strong games that are success stories that will make a full "release". Early Access is good again (well, it was always a good idea, at least in the right hands).

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Far Cry 5 hot takes are already insufferable

On the one hand, it sure sounds like they screwed up the story.  On the other, why would you expect anything else from a Far Cry game?

Gameplay still sounds dope and i'll pick it up when it's under $25.

The gameplay is fun as fuck.  It also seems harder than the previous games, or I'm really rusty, because HOLY SHIT I DIE A LOT.  It's always fair though - I get that "yeah, I fucked up and deserved that" feeling more than "FUCK THIS FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT GAME ARGGGGGGGGGGH"

Hot takes are whatever, man.  I'm convinced half of those "serious game journalism" sites are a work.  If you expect deep exploration of social issues in a Far Cry game you should have played the other Far Cry games first.