DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Okay, I just want to say that I'm saying this out of concern for how angry people get over this stuff. I'm trying to cut those bad feelings off at the pass.

Y'all talk about development studios like they're bands and not companies in an industry with very high burnout and turnover. While I know Hudson just came back, there's a good chance that many artists, writers and programmers have already left the BioWare that you're ascribing these values to. That's how you end up in situations where, say, you loved Saints Row The Third and are utterly repulsed by Agents of Mayhem- it's because that team that made that thing you like left that company long ago. That stuff doesn't get publicized, because it shouldn't be, because these are tech companies and not bands.

Still chuckling to myself about people actually trying to sell me on Saint's Row 4: The Asset Recyclgeddon instead of Sleeping Dogs.

I cross paths with a couple people at Bioware Edmonton on social media just through our natural proximity, and although they obviously can't talk specific details of projects I still very much get the sense that internally they think Anthem is real, real good, and the overriding sense of it being a place people actually like working at least hasn't changed. I get that people come and go, and I get that people are worried that EA could fuck up making chocolate milk ("what if we sell them the squeeze syrup, then charge them again to actually put it in the glass?"), but I'd like to think they can still pull this off.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:43 PM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Okay, I just want to say that I'm saying this out of concern for how angry people get over this stuff. I'm trying to cut those bad feelings off at the pass.

Y'all talk about development studios like they're bands and not companies in an industry with very high burnout and turnover. While I know Hudson just came back, there's a good chance that many artists, writers and programmers have already left the BioWare that you're ascribing these values to. That's how you end up in situations where, say, you loved Saints Row The Third and are utterly repulsed by Agents of Mayhem- it's because that team that made that thing you like left that company long ago. That stuff doesn't get publicized, because it shouldn't be, because these are tech companies and not bands.

To be fair, a good friend of mine worked on saints row the third, he worked on 4 and agents, he's still at volition, as are many people he worked with.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:43 PM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

This is the sort of shit that makes it easier to digest that stuff like Sonic Mania was a lightning-in-a-bottle thing and not to expect the same quality in later releases. See also; any Castlevania other than CV, SCV4, Rondo, or Symphony, as well as Metal Gear post-Kojima.

4 hours ago, Super Ape said:

See also; any Castlevania other than CV, SCV4, Rondo, or Symphony

Whoa, hold up my dude. Did you ever own a Nintendo handheld? There are no bad Metroidvanias. The worst one is Harmony of Dissonance, which is *great*. Sure they might be cookie cutter but that doesn't stop them from being delicious fuckin' cookies.

30 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Whoa, hold up my dude. Did you ever own a Nintendo handheld? There are no bad Metroidvanias. The worst one is Harmony of Dissonance, which is *great*. Sure they might be cookie cutter but that doesn't stop them from being delicious fuckin' cookies.

This guy is right.

6 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Circle of the Moon is drastically inferior to Harmony of Dissonance.  It's ambitious but I feel like it neither understands the GBA's hardware (unsurprising as a third-party launch title) nor the microscopic things that made Symphony so beloved.  The run and jump physics feel off to an off-putting degree, and the soul system needed a lot of work.  I have played worse imitators of the metroidvania formula, but I just don't understand any argument that it's better than any other non-linear Castlevania ever (I can go either way on Simon's Quest depending on my mood).

Simon's Quest is not a good game, but I appreciate that it managed to at least try something pretty radically different for the time. It's the kind of game that would have been so much better and more refined 10 years later if you started with the same basic ideas. I consider it a failure, but a salute-worthy one.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, Craig H said:

Looks like the Zerg queen.

You say that like it's a bad thing. 

The Queen of Blades is still my preferred desktop wallpaper.

I am normally not a fan of survival horror games not named Resident Evil, but I may have to give The Blackout Club a try.

It is like someone made a game out of an episode of Stranger Things and used the engine from Left For Dead.

• Like 1