DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or the E3 thread.

I'm not completely sure what it's for. . .but, apparently, it's something.

I'm also not completely sure why it doesn't appear the tweet is embedding properly, though it's entirely possible that it's just my work computer.

The general talk is Fallout 3 anniversary edition for Switch. I can't see them putting this here if its something that small. I would guess either a big remaster/remake, or a spin-off by another studio like New Vegas.

So is this the place to talk about the Fallout tease?

Is this the place where I vainly hope for a New Vegas port to every current console so that I can buy it twice, once on PS4 and once on Switch?

Will I be sorely disappointed?

The answer to all these questions is YES!

I suppose part of the question could be answered by figuring out where the Chief test pattern was used. Reddit seems to think it began with FO3. I don't have a good enough recall of NV or 4 to remember if it cropped up in either of those.

4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or the E3 thread.

I'm not completely sure what it's for. . .but, apparently, it's something.

I'm also not completely sure why it doesn't appear the tweet is embedding properly, though it's entirely possible that it's just my work computer.

What I want: Either a new game announcement, or re-masters of both FO3 and New Vegas (with console mod support).

What I'll get: More dog skins and settlement crap for Creation Club

Chris Avellone doesn't work at Obsidian anymore anyway, and he (and J.E. Sawyer, I guess) are really institutions when it comes to Fallout, so Obsidian not having anything to do with it isn't too crushing (even though they're still damned great at making RPGs). 

New Pokemon games announced for Switch. Not my bag (unless it's a Pokemon game with the word "Snap" in the title), but I'm sure people here will be into this. 

• Sad 1

Checking around on reddit the Kotaku insider Jason S (I can't recall/spell his last name) says its a new Fallout and will be going in a new direction from previous games. It also looks like whatever is being announced will around 9:45 AM today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

So, basically this generation's Pokemon Snap? Fucking weak. Bummer dude. I just want a proper Pokemon game on a console.

It looks more like a Switch version of Pokemon Go (completed with intergration into the app)

That being said I already know my son wants both versions

Oh and of course pre-ordering next year's RPG

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Checking around on reddit the Kotaku insider Jason S (I can't recall/spell his last name) says its a new Fallout and will be going in a new direction from previous games. It also looks like whatever is being announced will around 9:45 AM today.

Well, I won't be leaving my personal smartphone behind when I head up to Defense Supply this morning for this meeting.

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

So, basically this generation's Pokemon Snap? Fucking weak. Bummer dude. I just want a proper Pokemon game on a console.

Watch it bruh. Pokemon Snap is a great game. 

Now you've got me mad that they still haven't made a sequel to that game again. 

Wow, Megaman 11 looks amazing. I got a major Cuphead vibe from it because of how much it looked like you're playing a cartoon. Well done.

I won't give a shit about any new Fallout game until they move to a new engine that isn't broke and busted as hell. 

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Vault 76 was supposed to be a Control Vault that emptied out only 25 years after the bombs dropped. So most likely this is the earliest Fallout game ever released.

Well, the sign on the wall mentions the 300th birthday of the U.S., which would be 2076.

According to Fallout lore, the bombs started dropping on 23 October 2077.

If the entire game isn't spent inside the vault, based on what you've said the earliest the game can take place is 2102, which would be 25 years.

Fallout 3 happens in 2277 (200 years after the bombs). New Vegas is 2281. Fallout 4 is 2287. I believe the original Fallout happened sometime in the 2160s, but I'm not totally sure.

So, yeah. . .stuff is going to be vastly different, it would appear.

Fallout 76 seems kinda like Elder Scrolls Online. Not my game at all; I only believe in single-player RPGs when it comes to Fallout. Bummed that this isn't being announced in concert with a 3/NV remaster for current gen consoles at the very least. Maybe at E3.

49 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Well, the sign on the wall mentions the 300th birthday of the U.S., which would be 2076.

According to Fallout lore, the bombs started dropping on 23 October 2077.

If the entire game isn't spent inside the vault, based on what you've said the earliest the game can take place is 2102, which would be 25 years.

Fallout 3 happens in 2277 (200 years after the bombs). New Vegas is 2281. Fallout 4 is 2287. I believe the original Fallout happened sometime in the 2160s, but I'm not totally sure.

So, yeah. . .stuff is going to be vastly different, it would appear.

There is date in that video that confirms its 2102. Right now I'm believing the online rumor. I'd rather have had it be more traditional, especially in that setting, but the setting makes an online game easier to work with. Its clear that the general plot to this one will be vault dwellers from 76 trying to reclaim/restore for their area.

Just now, Smelly McUgly said:

Fallout 76 looks like Elder Scrolls Online. Not my game at all; I only believe in single-player RPGs when it comes to Fallout. Bummed that this isn't being announced in concert with a 3/NV remaster for current gen consoles at the very least. Maybe at E3.

They were never going to announce more than one thing. There also isn't a NV remaster coming, just FO3 and probably just for the Switch.

46 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They were never going to announce more than one thing. There also isn't a NV remaster coming, just FO3 and probably just for the Switch.

Nintendo at the very least stated that a more traditional Pokemon RPG was coming for Switch when they revealed Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee yesterday, so I would have liked that much from Bethesda. 

I'm fine with a FO3 remaster, which I will absolutely buy, though I seriously doubt that it's only coming for the Switch. I hope that it sells well and they do the same for NV, which is unfortunately treated as a stepchild even though it's arguably the best Fallout game ever (it's either that or FO2, really). The West Coast Fallout games are the best; they have the best implementation of RPG elements and the best narratives. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the dumb bullshit in FO3, but what I value about Fallout the most besides the options given to the player to effectively role-play a unique character is the really good stories.