DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

That was when they were ran by incompetent people. Now Microsoft is paying there bills. That is a BIIIIIG difference.

The difference being that Activision used to pay for their fuck ups and now it's Microsoft's turn?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

That was when they were ran by incompetent people. Now Microsoft is paying there bills. That is a BIIIIIG difference.

Yes, because if there's something that Microsoft has NEVER EVER done, it's fuck something up.

• Haha 1

Just now, J.T. said:

The difference being that Activision used to pay for their fuck ups and now it's Microsoft's turn?

Figuring Activision was cheap as shit for most of there developments, yeah.

Also, why are we using old argumentss against a company whose last 4 games were Stick of Truth (which is great), Pillars of Eternity (Which is one of the best true RPG's of the last decade), Tyranny (Which was also fun as fuck), and Pillars of Eternity 2 (Which, once more, also great)

The last game they came out that has a reputation for being super buggy was New Vegas, which also has a reputation of being one of the best video games of this century.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I figure I have 5 years to finally finish that DLC

Oh goodie, I'm not alone in this. I couldn't get the DLC on PS3 so I never really finished the game despite beating the base game. I've owned it on PS4 for at least two years now, but have been distracted by other shit. Now I have to decide whether to just beat the DLC with my transferred character or redo the game with my original hopeful main character as intended so many years ago.

I want to like Anthem but it's never really recovered for me from that awful 20 minute gameplay video they showed at E3 during the height of the Warframe surge, where all I could think was "this is basically Warframe but at like one third speed, seemingly little of the cool ninja movement, and with zero chance of having 25% as many weapons to play with". Also the boss fight in that video was basically a really cool looking giant insect... standing there doing nothing.

I want it to be good, but I don't have any faith that it is.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, El Dragon said:

The last game they came out that has a reputation for being super buggy was New Vegas, which also has a reputation of being one of the best video games of this century.

Nearly every review of New Vegas damns it with faint praise.

From the Wikipedia article:

IGN's Keza MacDonald praised the game's script, but criticized the character models and facial animation as "wooden and unbelievable".

Eurogamer commented that "Obsidian has created a totally compelling world and its frustrations pale into insignificance compared to the immersive, obsessive experience on offer. Just like the scorched scenery that provides its epic backdrop, New Vegas is huge and sprawling, sometimes gaudy, even downright ugly at times – but always effortlessly, shamelessly entertaining."

According to GameSpot's Kevin VanOrd, the game's "familiar rhythm will delight fans of the series, and the huge world, expansive quests, and hidden pleasures will have [the players] itching to see what other joys you might uncover. However, as time wears on, the constant glitches invade almost every element of the game and eventually grow wearisome.

Best game of the century, my ass.

It astonished me how people think that an Obsidian made original IP is automatically going to be good.  It's like no one remembers the dreck that was Alpha Protocol and there will always be a horribly bug ridden game that people will love no matter what.  

For me, that game was Vampire:  The Masquerate - Bloodlines.

Also using Tyranny and PoE as examples of how Outer Worlds will be awesome is apples to oranges as the quality of isometric games has no bearing on how well they will do creating a fully rendered 3D action game. 

If anything, KOTOR2, New Vegas, and Alpha Protocol are better examples of how likely they are to fuck Outer Worlds up.  Just like those titles, Outer Worlds will be a bright and beautiful game that will have more bugs in it than a first floor studio apartment in Lower Manhattan.

I am not sure that Microsoft ownership[ will improve things, but they are more likely to throw money at Outer Worlds until it works.  You are correct in your believe that Activision is rife with cheap bastards with unreasonable expectations looking for immediate gratification.

• Haha 1

TEW 2020 has been announced with a potential release date of Christmas 2019. It's so far away because Adam Ryland is re-writing code from the bottom up (using the same old language sadly) but it means stuff like playing as a child company can now work. 

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic