DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The list is acceptable if you assume they're gonna make more than one of these through the years.

Can't see that happening unless they use this next (below) and shrink it and use dual shock controls.

PSone-Console-Set-NoLCD.jpg?v=1515622928

18 hours ago, Player One said:

PS1 was great for puzzler's.   I would probably have picked No One Can Stop Mr. Domino or Devil Dice, though.

Oh man, if they included Devil Dice...Holy shit. Wasn't that one of those Dragonball GT Final Bout super expensive games on the secondary market? Having Super Puzzle Fighter is awesome though.

That list is actually pretty shitty the more I think about it. Destruction Derby instead of Destruction Derby 2, Twisted Metal instead of Twisted Metal 2, Ridge Racer instead of Rage Racer, Rainbow Six (fucking really? Rainbow Six?), and ANOTHER port of FF7. Battle Arena Toshinden might be one of those "oh man, I played this a ton back in the day" but if you play it now it's garbage. Having Tenchu would have been awesome. I would have gone with Front Mission 3, Vagrant Story, or Parasite Eve would have been nice to see from an RPG perspective. Or, if you just want to focus on "classics," how do you not include Parappa? Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 would have been the shit on this and would have been way better than the shit port of it from last year or a couple years ago. Not a single Wipeout game?! 

When you compare this list of "classics" to what was included on the NES or SNES Classic, this list really comes up short.

• Like 1

Yeah, this list of games is really unimpressive.  And the duplication of games is weird - Battle Arena Toshinden AND Tekken 3?  Why?  I mean, BAT was interesting as a launch title but it wasn't even that good back then.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, this list of games is really unimpressive.  And the duplication of games is weird - Battle Arena Toshinden AND Tekken 3?  Why?  I mean, BAT was interesting as a launch title but it wasn't even that good back then.

I can understand them wanting to represent both series, since both were real important to the PS in the first couple years, and they're different enough (pseudo-realistic martial arts vs  Street Fighter nonsense).  However, they picked the best PS1 Tekken but not the best TSD (which is definitely 2, which rises to the level of "it's okay I guess"). The pattern I see looking at these is that Sony went with first-game-in-series for 1P stuff (I know TSD was only 1P here and was published by Takara elsewhere, but Takara's been out of the games business for decades and Sony probably had in-perpetuity rights to those 2 games), while Namco et al. threw in superior sequels and revisions (Tekken 3, Ridge Racer 4, RE DC).   Cool Boarders 2 is the only thing Sony could be arsed to give us in that area. 

Tetris Effect demo is out.  I don't want to oversell it or be meat for the hype machine or anything, but it's pretty jaw dropping. It takes a little work to get the right rhythm to build up zone meter, but it's gorgeous and the music is utterly enthralling and I am even more excited than I was after the reveal trailer.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per my XBOX home screen - Crackdown 3 is coming out on 2/15/19 

How fortunate for them that other than Kingdom Hearts 3, Anthem, Metro: Exodues, the Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5, and The Division 2, there is absolutely no competition within a month of release, so this game will do Very Well.

(I'm only interested in like 2 of those games but goddamn, the video game industry is 100% trying to eat itself here.)

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

:(

Damn.  Just Cause 4 appears to be shifting back to the goofy xXx:  Return of Xander Cage shit from Just Cause 2 that I totally hated.  I also didn't care for Just Cause 3 because it was a bit too serious.

I was sorta hoping that JC4 would find a middle ground sweet spot, but this trailer does not look like the game I was hoping it would be.

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Sony is clearly big enough to just do their own. I mean shit, if Blizzard can do it with like 4 products...

I really wonder what kind of a long-term shelf life E3 has.

Well they technically do with PSX... well technically did since they announced earlier this year that they aren't doing PSX this year either.

Basically - everyone thinks they are saving everything because they are going to announce the PS5 sometime next year

On 10/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, Raziel said:

I'm not quite sure how many more times companies want me to buy FFVII and MGS.

This is me but Resident Evil 4. I mean, it's my favourite game, but do I really need to have bought it four times on four consoles? Surely I should've just been gifted it on PS4!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I really wonder what kind of a long-term shelf life E3 has.

E3 will have some relevance because it's the best way to get all nerds in one spot, but the decision to limit who gets to attend the show was a bad one. 

Now that some gaming companies are either big enough to have their own self contained trade shows or are small and use social media to cut down expenses when breaking their product news, no one really cares about E3 that much anymore.

E3 used to be the pseudo holiday that the nerd calendar revolved around, but it has been replaced by SDCC.

• Like 2