DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Final Fantasy VII being on the list really highlights how ridiculous the SNES Mini lineup not having one of Final Fantasy IV, VI, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle, or Tales of Phantasia is. Secret of Mana? Come on man that's some b team shit. I will grant you that the b team of JRPG's on that system is actually really strong, but still. You had the dream team and ya blew it.

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Final Fantasy VII being on the list really highlights how ridiculous the SNES Mini lineup not having one of Final Fantasy IV, VI, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle, or Tales of Phantasia is. Secret of Mana? Come on man that's some b team shit. I will grant you that the b team of JRPG's on that system is actually really strong, but still. You had the dream team and ya blew it.

SNES Mini definitely has FFVI on it.

Given Square's issues with source code retention on every game pre-FFX, requiring that they need whole teams to recode whole sections of the game every time they want to port it, that they're still charging $15 for 30 year old games isn't suprising.

On 9/21/2018 at 3:20 PM, Raziel said:

Given Square's issues with source code retention on every game pre-FFX, requiring that they need whole teams to recode whole sections of the game every time they want to port it, that they're still charging $15 for 30 year old games isn't suprising.

This is strange considering that they started with re-releases already in the PSX era. So you would assume that they were aware of the worth of that property over 20 years ago (e.g. FF IV was released on PSX in Japan in 1997).

• Like 1

Likely because it's easier to reconstruct the code from SNES than all the sections on a multi-disc PSX game where all the assets were compressed to shit and the originals discarded.  FF7 PC was largely done from scratch,  9 is impossible to upscale the backgrounds, and 8bis just a clusterfuck of missing code and the whole theme song rights problem.  It's why they did the mobile ports to Steam, because they pretty much recoded all of them with the upgraded sprites, and mobile hid the compressed background.  And that work cost money.

The ports of the classics happened after 8, and 8 was around the last game they discarded code and assets from the servers when finished.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Raziel said:

The ports of the classics happened after 8, and 8 was around the last game they discarded code and assets from the servers when finished.

The timeline does not completely match, as IV came out on PSX in 97 while VIII came out in 99. Though probably that's a thing where one department was not aware of what the other one was doing (the PSX and GBA ports were outsourced to Tose after all).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

If there's been an announcement I totally missed it, but Zen Pinball FX is getting the Williams Classics removed from Pinball Arcade with v1 landing on 10/9.  Fish Tales will be a freebie, with Getaway: High Speed 2, Medieval Madness and Junk Yard as a $10 pack.  

They've also said to expact another pack of tables before the end of 2018.

I've been playing the beta versions of these tables since the day it was announced and they are fabulous.  Big-time improvement over what Farsight was doing.  5 years ago, after much frustration with Farsight, I was saying, "Man, please give me real pinball games done with Zen polish and skill".  Well, that's what we're getting now and it's awesome.

Each table will also have a "remastered" mode that can be toggled with the touch of a button.  That "Zen-ifies" the table.  You get 3d animated characters, Zen physics (instead of realistic), wall art, and lots of graphic flourishes.  The toggle is really fast and it works great.  The differences between the two versions are very apparent immediately.

Along with these tables being better than their Farsight versions, we should also get access to more licensed tables than what Farsight could do.  Zen already has an extensive history with the biggest licenses in the world - Star Wars, Universal films, Marvel, South Park, etc.  There's no reason to believe that Indiana Jones, the SImpsons, and other expensive licenses would be out of reach for Farsight.`

I am super-pumped for this development and can't wait to see what we get from Zen.  Having listened to the Zen guys on podcasts, they are really dedicated and are listening to what people what.  They actively monitored the DIgitalPinballFans forum closely and feedback on there went directly into updates on the beta versions of the Williams tables.

34 minutes ago, Tabe said:

They've also said to expact another pack of tables before the end of 2018.

I've been playing the beta versions of these tables since the day it was announced and they are fabulous.  Big-time improvement over what Farsight was doing.  5 years ago, after much frustration with Farsight, I was saying, "Man, please give me real pinball games done with Zen polish and skill".  Well, that's what we're getting now and it's awesome.

Each table will also have a "remastered" mode that can be toggled with the touch of a button.  That "Zen-ifies" the table.  You get 3d animated characters, Zen physics (instead of realistic), wall art, and lots of graphic flourishes.  The toggle is really fast and it works great.  The differences between the two versions are very apparent immediately.

Along with these tables being better than their Farsight versions, we should also get access to more licensed tables than what Farsight could do.  Zen already has an extensive history with the biggest licenses in the world - Star Wars, Universal films, Marvel, South Park, etc.  There's no reason to believe that Indiana Jones, the SImpsons, and other expensive licenses would be out of reach for Farsight.`

I am super-pumped for this development and can't wait to see what we get from Zen.  Having listened to the Zen guys on podcasts, they are really dedicated and are listening to what people what.  They actively monitored the DIgitalPinballFans forum closely and feedback on there went directly into updates on the beta versions of the Williams tables.

My one worry is that Zen will avoid the 60s-70s tables in favor of stuff more in line with what they make on their own.  I know maybe ten people give a shit about anything older than Gorgar, but I have a lot of nostalgia for those old tables because of the shitty bowling alley my dad used to take me to to play Space Invaders.

• Like 1

I was watching that earlier.  Everyone who runs a Mario game was losing their shit today for someone finally breaking 4:56.  Everyone thought that Any% record was never going to be broken.  And watching that run, I'm not sure how much more time you could squeeze out of it.

• Like 1

Shit I thought I was in the general discussion thread not the upcoming.

Anyway, apparently he made one flub on the pipe to the water part of 8-4 (according to him and others who really know the speedrunning game) that could've saved him a bit more time. AFAIK, the best theoretical time, barring the discovery of new glitches/exploits is 4:54.3 so there's not much room to drop, and it's debatable whether or not that is humanly possible.

According to the article I read,  they're the PC Engine and PSX versions upscaled for HD with trophy and leaderboard support.  As long as it's the PSX version of SotN and not the shitty PSP version, we're good.

It's also currently $15 for preorder if you're PS+.