DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Far Cry 5 hot takes are already insufferable

I'm self-insulated from hot takes of pretty much all varieties, so I'm curious here.  Is it just garden variety gamer bitching or more related to the choice of villian?

50 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I'm self-insulated from hot takes of pretty much all varieties, so I'm curious here.  Is it just garden variety gamer bitching or more related to the choice of villian?

Mostly it boils down to the game trying to avoid making any kind of commentary on its own subject matter and having an aggressively dumb ending.

• Haha 1

The bad guys are a cartoony Wyatt Family clone instead of the serious commentary some people wanted.

It's a valid criticism of the story but when sites like Polygon say it everyone gets mad.

I disagree and think games can just be fucking fun and not need to try to be art and make a statement.  Doesn't make the criticism less valid just because I personally think it's bullshit, but the internet doesn't think that rationally.

42 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

Did none of these reviewers play the previous games?  Because the story and villains are always cartoony as fuck.

Part of the beef is that Ubi PR was pushing that this game would really have something to say, which was not borne out by the actual game.

No Man Sky is going to come the XBONE this summer will all the updates (including a new one that will be hitting the game)

Must fight back to resist my urge to rant about Andromeda again

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No Man Sky is going to come the XBONE this summer will all the updates (including a new one that will be hitting the game)

Must fight back to resist my urge to rant about Andromeda again

They've patched NMS into being a really enjoyable game, especially if you like exploration/survival stuff.

Red Faction Guerilla is getting an HD re-Mars-tered (their bad pub, not mine) edition for PC, PS4, and XBone.  The PC version will be free for owners of the original game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Part of the beef is that Ubi PR was pushing that this game would really have something to say, which was not borne out by the actual game.

Ha!  Figures.  I was just watching videos of people blowing stuff up and bears mauling people and wasn't privy to this PR (mostly because I don't read the emails Ubisoft sends me)

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

Ha!  Figures.  I was just watching videos of people blowing stuff up and bears mauling people and wasn't privy to this PR (mostly because I don't read the emails Ubisoft sends me)

I'm pretty sure by now that if you know anything about Ubisoft, it's to ignore their PR because it's 99% full of shit.

• Like 1

Ubisoft at least has a track record of sticking with their games no matter how bad the launch is and gradually unfucking them for the audience that stays aboard. The turnaround of Siege from loathed to beloved is a really uncommon story for a game's lifespan.

but yeah the whole thing with FC5's reveal was "we have spent a lot of care addressing this heavy subject matter" and then the next trailer was like "WOOHOO MURDER STUNTZ" so them not committing to anything was at least telegraphed

Looking to Farcry 5 to be some sort of socio-political commentary would be like looking to the Tom Clancy games to say something about the second amendment. Just let the fucking games be what they are. They don't need to say anything. Unless you unplug, you're inundated by all the shit 24/7. Like Troma said, just let games be fun. The thing I want to know more than anything else about Farcry 5 is if it's fun and good to play. I already know you're fighting against a doomsday cult or something to that effect.

If I never played a Farcry game before, would 5 be a decent jumping off point?

I have similar question about the Yakuza games, but I feel like that series is even more confusing.

Okay so for Farcry, none of the games are connected directly other than a few recurring bit joke characters, so you can start with 5 no problem.

For Yakuza, you can start with 0, which I would because that game is fucking awesome, and you can play Kiwami, which is a remake of Yakuza 1.  Yakuza 6 is coming out soon, followed by Kiwami 2, a remake of 2.

6 starts with a fuckton of story stuff but you can figure out what was going on.  It also has recaps and stuff.  It can be your starting point, but I just can't pass on recommending Yakuza 0.  Kiwami  uses the same engine, but has a lot less shit to do and isn't anywhere near as fun.

• Thanks 1

I have never gotten into the series but what I have seen from Far Cry 5 actually seems like a pretty good game so far. I get that it's Ubisoft so like Assassin's Creed there's probably a lot of repetition that has worn out for some people, but out of context it seems like a AAA game that actually justifies the price?  I dunno, it seems like a pretty neat sandbox if you just want to blow shit up and run around with a dog companion.

the Far Cry series in particular is weird to me because (HERE COMES THE LEAST SURPRISING REVEAL EVER) as much as I loved 2, it feels like every Far Cry that came after it is like some hilarious misunderstanding of what made FC2 good/interesting.

"The world is super immersive, the only time you're doing something out of the context of the world is in the save menu" became "YOUR TECH TREE IS LIKE A TRIBAL TAT OR SOMETHING"
"It actually acknowledges the inherent immorality of everything you're about to do" became "HOW MANY ITERATIONS OF THE JOKER CAN WE HAVE IN ONE GAME"
"You can have allies, but they're just as impermanent as anything" became "OKAY WHAT IF WE NAMED A GUY HURK AND HE WAS JUST LIKE KENNY POWERS BUT GUNS"
"It's fun to just hang out around zebras and relax" became "WHEN YOU SHOOT ENOUGH WOLVES YOU CAN HAVE A BIGGER WALLET"
"You're beholden to a malady outside of your own control, limiting the power fantasy" became "WE'RE GOING TO CAPTURE YOU AND DO LIKE FIFTEEN DRUG SEQUENCES"

So yeah. As far as a starting point goes, the thing you actually need to decide rn is if you're going to play Far Cry 2 or not. If you're not, you can play pretty much any of them and have a good time. If you do, it's basically just going to be an exercise in trying to figure out what went wrong.

Craig, I look at the Far Cry series like I look at the Persona series.  I played the games and enjoyed them before part 3 at the time they came out, but would only ever recommend part 3 onward to anyone new (and you can skip to whichever one you want).

Frontier has announced that the upcoming video game Jurassic World Evolution will be released digitally first on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on June 12, with a physical release for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on July 3.Players who pre-order before launch will receive a platform-exclusive helicopter skin and ranger vehicle skin.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm going to be putting a lot of time into that game. It looks stunning and the gameplay is definitely what I'm into. 

It's even cheaper than the standard full-priced game.

• Like 1

A shot of the upcoming cover of Edge Magazine has the text "FIST OF THE NORTH STAR" on the cover.

I think this means we're getting Hokuto Ga Gotoku in English, you guys.

FUCK YEAH SON

It's Fist of the North Star in the Yakuza engine

• Like 1

I've gotten absolutely no Trumpy/political vibe off of Far Cry 5 - if anything, it's a religious cult.  They just happen to be in Montana and have easy access to guns.

I grew up in Spokane, Washington, only a stone's throw from a ton of gun nuts in Idaho, so maybe that's why - none of it surprises me.