DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES TALK (2018 & Beyond)

RIPPA

In a shocking twist,  Nippon Ichi Software America has postponed the PC release of Ys VIII indefinitely and  provided links for people who pre-ordered on Steam to get refunds. This is not to be confused with the last time NISA postponed Ys VIII for the PC, or the poor  translation they did for the Playstation release of the game.

Considering how upset Nihon Falcom was at the last delays (admittedly due to western fans bitching so loudly that Japanese game blogs picked up on the story), I wonder what happens next.  Also if you're Axys games you've got to be smiling, since supposedly they lost the bid for Ys VIII due to NISA's promise of a simultaneous PC and Playstation release.

On 1/20/2018 at 6:27 AM, EVA said:

I really liked I AM SETSUNA, so I've been stoked for this.  That said, the lack of advance reviews concerns me, as I remember them getting way out ahead of SETSUNA to create strong word of mouth.

Reviews look pretty average.

• Like 1

Just now, EVA said:

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed.  Was looking forward to picking it up on Switch, but no way I'm paying full price for it now.

It sounds like it'll be worth a look on the cheap perhaps. I'm going to wait for the inevitable price drop in the long run.

Here’s another interesting article from Jason Schreier on what’s going on with BioWare right now: https://kotaku.com/bioware-doubles-down-on-anthem-as-pressure-mounts-1822380989

TL;DR: BioWare has basically thrown their whole workforce behind Anthem to get it out the door by March 2019, leaving skeleton crews to manage their existing games and develop the next Dragon Age game.  Basically, the future of the company is riding on Anthem.  Which I think we all kinda figured after the Andromeda fiasco, but this pretty much confirms.

I know there is a lot of ill will over Andromeda, and I get it. But I will be genuinely fucking sad if Bioware somehow ends up getting sunk over Anthem. To have a major video game developer with a big office in my hometown always seemed like the coolest thing to me when I was younger, and the vast majority of ex-BioWare employees speak very highly of it as a work environment. If I could actually pick a semi-corporate place in the world to work, it would probably be BioWare Edmonton.

16 hours ago, EVA said:

Here’s another interesting article from Jason Schreier on what’s going on with BioWare right now: https://kotaku.com/bioware-doubles-down-on-anthem-as-pressure-mounts-1822380989

TL;DR: BioWare has basically thrown their whole workforce behind Anthem to get it out the door by March 2019, leaving skeleton crews to manage their existing games and develop the next Dragon Age game.  Basically, the future of the company is riding on Anthem.  Which I think we all kinda figured after the Andromeda fiasco, but this pretty much confirms.

EA is riding them hard, screaming that they have to make them their Destiny clone and damn whatever else breaks or dies. It's... not a good feeling.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well now I’m gonna have to force JT to buy Anthem just so I can maybe play Mass Effect again sometime in my life

I have discovered from playing Destiny 2 that while I still hate Bungie, I don't hate them quite as much as I thought I did.

I totally fucking hate EA right now, so it will take a lot for me to buy a copy of Anthem. 

The Codex bullshit and lingering quest bugs from Origins and the general unplayability of DA2 guaranteed that I would give zero fucks about the future of that franchise.

Is it bad I've already accepted Bioware is dead, it just doesn't know it yet? They are making a game that is specifically marketed to a style of game that is having MAJOR backlash. The time to make an Anthem style game was a year or two ago. Any way they set up to make money of a Destiny style of game at this point involving micro transactions is going to get major backlash. It's a game style BioWare has 0 experience in. They are moving away from all of their strengths because EA wants that sweet Destiny money. Everything about this project, with the direction the gaming industry is going (AKA, general unrest with this add on bullshit) screams major problems.

So yeah, there are 2 ways this goes: It's either an incredible game, or it has major problems because BioWare has problems with the Frostbite engine, it's a style of game that is going majorly out of style, and because there are gonna be a ton of people pissed EA has sacrificed one of the best RPG studios of all time to develop a game that isn't really their style cause that money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

It's a damn shame EA's fuckery is going to take down TOR.

EA and Bioware have shown by the example of TOR that neither of those companies has a clue about how to run an MMO-ish franchise so I have no idea why they are doubling down on Anthem. 

They will end up running it into the ground and it will go the way of The Division in no time flat.

The Division is quietly doing fine now thanks to pouring hours and hours into patches.

Which is again why I was so infuriated with giving up on Andromeda after like a fucking week

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Division is quietly doing fine now thanks to pouring hours and hours into patches.

Quietly doing fine is not good enough.

I don't want to be that guy that buys a copy of The Division and brings the North American player base count up to a whopping five players.

I got plenty of that shit while struggling to find Hacking Invasion victims while playing Watch Dogs 2.  I kept repeating "Please let this guy be dumb and not find my hiding place," to myself when I finally unlocked the Troll'r achievement.

Well of course when you eventually buy it - there will be 5 players since it will be 2032

But I assure you it is easier to play a game in The Division right now than a MP match in Andromeda (to stick with that theme)

Yeah, The Division is on an upswing right now.  A lot of people suffering from Destiny Angst are gravitating toward games like that and Warframe to fill the Destiny void.  The PvE aspect anyway.  All the PvPers went to play PUBG and Fortnite like everybody else in the world.

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, The Division is on an upswing right now.  A lot of people suffering from Destiny Angst are gravitating toward games like that and Warframe to fill the Destiny void.  The PvE aspect anyway.  All the PvPers went to play PUBG and Fortnite like everybody else in the world.

I think I'd rather sink my time into Elite Dangerous: Beyond.  My OCD would embrace it like a long lost friend.