DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Looking at that picture of the Rock jumping the only way my mind can make sense of it is if he's just falling straight down, having jumped out a helicopter and horribly missed both of his potential targets.

He is screaming what sounds like the letter "O" but it's really the last part of the word "No" held out for a long time.

• Like 1

If it makes the poll, it will probably be my number two BO movie behind Infinity War and in the middle of my RT list.

It will make a shit ton of money and no way will the critics universally pan a movie where the Rock plays a superhuman amputee hero.

11 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

New Cloverfield on Netflix after the game 

13% on RT right now.  I'm sure they're doing fantastic in terms of revenue and all, but as far as critical opinion on their original movies, Netflix really can't catch a break.

6 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

13% on RT right now.  I'm sure they're doing fantastic in terms of revenue and all, but as far as critical opinion on their original movies, Netflix really can't catch a break.

This probably isn't the best place for this discussion but I have heard a few people say that critics are shitting on Netflix movies just because they are on Netflix. The argument basically being that since it is immediately on Netflix, the consumer can just watch it on a whim without worrying about the idea of sunken cost (movie ticket, concessions, etc..) so critics feel as if their jobs are in danger.

David Mackenzie's Outlaw King is going to be a big litmus test. Another giant budget and it's likely going to be everywhere in terms on marketing and promotion. Mackenzie's batting average is also indefinitely better than David Ayer, Julius Onah, and other folks who have done a Netflix film save for the likes of Cary Fukunaga and Dee Rees who were working with tiny budgets.

Cloverfield Paradox is just someone cutting their losses on a film they rushed through trying to develop and trying to capitalize on having a black/"PoC" director (Julius Onah probably isn't even the best director in his family). They couldn't salvage it and just put it on Netflix. If there is a Netflix vs. critics beef, I don't think this one is the best piece of evidence. I mean they could have let it languish in theaters and made some money despite the negative buzz. However, if the film industry turns the rap game where people drop albums and mixtapes at random times, I don't see how that changes the film industry at all. I mean it's not like it stopped people from tearing this film apart anyway. You just don't have X days to do it before everyone else does. Basically, it's a theatrical wide release that wasn't screened with the critics. Business as usual.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

That’s as dumb as theory that “DC fans” are giving Black Panther bad RT scores as opposed to racist trolls. 

FWIW, they say they are going to go after Infinity War as well, also because of "Marvel buying off critics"

Donnie Yen posted an image to his Instagram that indicates a Sleeping Dogs movie may actually be happening.  I'm not sure who I want him to be in the story, but I hope like fuck he isn't Wei Shen because no matter how great he is, he'll never be 30 again and I'm not okay with Shen being in his 50s.  I can also already taste the opening night menu at Alamo Drafthouse.  Pork buns, roast duck, ice cream...

7 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Donnie Yen posted an image to his Instagram that indicates a Sleeping Dogs movie may actually be happening.  I'm not sure who I want him to be in the story, but I hope like fuck he isn't Wei Shen because no matter how great he is, he'll never be 30 again and I'm not okay with Shen being in his 50s. 

If he ends up playing Wei, the timeline will start off after the ending of the game.  I haven't kept up with the HK action scene in a while, so I have no idea who the brand new hotness is.

Everyone seems to be focusing their Pan-Asia action movie attention on whatever comes out of Indonesia these days.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

If he ends up playing Wei, the timeline will start off after the ending of the game.  I haven't kept up with the HK action scene in a while, so I have no idea who the brand new hotness is.

Everyone seems to be focusing their Pan-Asia action movie attention on whatever comes out of Indonesia these days.

Ricky's right there for Yen,

But I'd take Donnie playing Wei in a sequel movie, since we're sadly never getting a second game.

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

Does @Neil Koch still do that HK Films website? Maybe he knows who the new hotness is?

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

20th Century Fox has delayed Alita and The Predator.

It goes from a Summer Blockbuster to a Christmas release

December 21, 2018 is its new date (it was dated for July 20)

By it, you mean Alita: Battle Angel.

The Predator goes from August 3 to September 14.