DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

On 12/22/2018 at 3:16 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I remember watching Shaft on TBS, and watching a scene between Bale, and Wright. I was thinking the whole time that this was great dialogue. Almost felt like I was watching a Tarantino film. Then it turned to a scene with Sam Jackson’s Shaft, and I was like “wooooah”. I couldn’t believe that this remake/sequel of a Blaxploitation film wasn’t just some quick cash grab. They really put a lot of workmanship into making it a respectable film.

To that point, I went back and watched the Dollars trilogy. The first two movies were made for a combined $800k. Juxtapose that with Django Unchained, Cowboys & Aliens, The Magnificent Seven from 2016, and The Lone Ranger where all the budgets were $100 million or more. Besides maybe Django, how much did you really get for your time watching those movies? 

At least with spaghetti westerns, it was cheap reusing sets and basically hiring a bunch of Spanish and Italian extras and no name European actors and then redubbing their parts after the fact. The reason I can't really get behind something like the Superfly film is if you're going to be bad, at least be State Property bad or try to make an earnest film. Those State Property movies or some of those Master P films (the Lockdown film with Gary Busey and Clifton Powell is gold) that aired on BET were the new blaxploitation film. I liked Belly, but that's my limit for a film shot like a music video. I am not trying to sit through a two hour music video with bad acting made for 10x a classic blaxploitation film was shot for. I think that's why Superfly bombed so hard. You can't be marketing that to black people because the folks old enough to remember blaxploitation film ain't about sit through that and the young black folks gullible enough to go see it isn't a big enough crowd to make a difference at the box office. You can't replace Ron O'Neal and Curtis Mayfield with some random dude and Future, and Future is one of the rappers from the current crop I can actually listen to.

I think that Shaft film is basically a good film, but at the same time, you can rename that film and lead protagonist anything because Richard Roundtree is still the person most synonymous with the character of John Shaft. It doesn't have anything to do with Sam's performance as much as the original Shaft films were actually blaxploitation.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

US

Starring Lupita Nyongo 

Directed by Jordan Peele

I know this should be in the horror thread. I don't care.  This looks amazing. 

As resident horror forum fascist of the DVDVR, I fully support the posting of this trailer in as many places on this board as humanly possible.

I AM STOKED~!

Now after the movie has come out and we've all seen it, take your lazy, cross pollinating, asses to the Horror thread to talk abut it.

• Like 1

There is not enough love in this thread for the sinister theatrical deconstruction of I Got 5 On It by Luniz for the Us trailer.  

I have been a fan of those sorts of instrumental reinterpretations since the symphonic version of Filter's Hey Man, Nice Shot in the X-Men:  Apocalypse trailer tricked me into thinking it was going to be a good movie.

As a Hampton University alumnus, I take partial offense to Winston Duke wearing that other HU sweatshirt in the trailer.

Fuck the Bison.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 7:26 AM, RIPPA said:

Men In Black: International

Yes I am amused that I get to post this after the Will Smith talk (no he is not in this)

I really want to like a movie that has Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson and Liam Neeson in it, but something about this trailer just does not resonate with me. 

• RIPPA locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic