DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

TIL that movie still hasn't come out. I could swear that thing was supposed to be out at some point earlier this year.

It was supposed to be Christmas this year (Well Dec 21) but it got moved to Valentine's Day 2019

FOX is releasing the PG-13 version of Deadpool 2 in its place

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is going to make so much money. SO much. Gonna be fun to see where it comes out on everybody's lists if it's a Summer flick.

The release date right now is May 10, 2019... aka one week after Infinity War 2.

*grabs popcorn*

You legit could run a contest just in May of next year

• Avengers 4 (5/3)
  • Detective Pikachu (5/10)
  • Ugly Dolls (5/10)
  • John Wick 3 (5/17)
  • Aladdin (5/24)
  • Minecraft (5/24)
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters (5/31)
  • Rocketman (5/31)

One of those kids movies is gonna have to blink

44 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The release date right now is May 10, 2019... aka one week after Infinity War 2.

*grabs popcorn*

To be fair, WB has ran the week (or what was suppose to be the week in the case of Infinity War Part 1) after the big Marvel tentpole in May in recent year. King Arthur came out the week after GotG vol. 2 and Life of the Party was released the second week of May this year. Even prior to that, you had Hot Pursuit in 2015 after Age of Ultron. Right now, the 2019 summer slate is loaded. They would need something to drop off their calendar and have a rival studio also moved their own tentpole film, and I don't see that happening.  

So their best bet is to save themselves the trouble and just let it flop or wildly exceed critical/commercial expectations.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You legit could run a contest just in May of next year

• Avengers 4 (5/3)
  • Detective Pikachu (5/10)
  • Ugly Dolls (5/10)
  • John Wick 3 (5/17)
  • Aladdin (5/24)
  • Minecraft (5/24)
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters (5/31)
  • Rocketman (5/31)

One of those kids movies is gonna have to blink

If a kid movie blinks, I'd have to think that it would be either Ugly Dolls or Minecraft.

Aladdin and Detective Pikachu should have clear licenses to print money.

I don't know about anyone else, but I will be with Team Kaiju on May 31st.  Apologies to Benny & The Jets.

I honestly believe it would be better to stick to the normal start date for the Summer Blockbuster Pool.  Things will be more interesting if Infinity War 4 is deemed too early to include on anyone's list given that it should be a no-brainer that everyone will probably have it as their #1 BO pick and one of their Top 5 RT picks.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If a kid movie blinks, I'd have to think that it would be either Ugly Dolls or Minecraft

Minecraft simply because it never actually went into production and it's a week before another WB film (Godzilla: King of the Monsters). You can add Ad Astra to 5/24 since Fox probably spent a shitload on that.

19 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Minecraft simply because it never actually went into production and it's a week before another WB film (Godzilla: King of the Monsters). 

Last I heard it lost its director and its 2019 release date.  I just assumed that it was back on track since it was on Rippa's list.

The site I looked at still had it listed still but others don't

I also didn't include ANOTHER kid's movie in A Dog's Journey which is the sequel to A Dog's Purpose and that one made a fuckton of money. The one is slotted for May 17