DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

At least this trailer showed Cena more.

After the first Bumblebee trailer - I was positive it was one of those movies where Meltzer makes a big deal about a wrestler being in it and then they are in the movie for less than 10 minutes

At least they're finally rolling back to the better G1 Designs for everyone.  Honestly, there's the backbone of a good TF story overarching all the movies.  They just needed a better person to actually tell that story.  I mean, we're never getting a Marvel or IDW based story, but I mean, a reboot starting here "could" work.

Not sure if anyone else has picked up on this vibe, but the background music, or at least the "beat" to it, keeps reminding me of Phil Collins' "Take Me Home." I wouldn't be opposed to that being used in the movie somewhere.

I am really eager for Kevin Hart's new movie to be released.

Mostly so they stop running the trailer.

I like Hart well enough and Tiffany Haddish seems to be getting a lot of work, but there are probably about 4,005 unpleasant things I'd prefer to do rather than see Night School.  Get bit by a poisonous snake, spend four hours at the DMV, tell my wife how much I secretly dislike her sister (been married 26 years and never admitted that one), go see the new Predator movie instead. etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Player One said:

I am really eager for Kevin Hart's new movie to be released.

Mostly so they stop running the trailer.

I like Hart well enough and Tiffany Haddish seems to be getting a lot of work, but there are probably about 4,005 unpleasant things I'd prefer to do rather than see Night School.  Get bit by a poisonous snake, spend four hours at the DMV, tell my wife how much I secretly dislike her sister (been married 26 years and never admitted that one), go see the new Predator movie instead. etc.

A

FUCKING

MEN.

Does he have a divorce settlement or something he's paying off, with all the work he's doing? I cannot wait for that guy to be put on ice for awhile, he is so irritating and he is EVERYWHERE.

Hate to say it but Gibson is right in the wheelhouse of an old-school, alcoholic, probably racist/sexist guy like Peckinpah. It might turn out just right. Too bad the Coens already tread that ground with remaking True Grit though, because them getting ahold of Wild Bunch would've been even better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Does he have a divorce settlement or something he's paying off, with all the work he's doing?

Well, he did have a divorce settlement with his first wife (Torrei) about five years ago but it was for $175,000. Considering how big he got after they split, he made off like a bandit in the state of California.

I remember when Torrei tried comedy when she was still married to Kevin. Didn't exactly go well.

But yeah, I'm not sure Night School is my speed especially in the wake of the Katt Williams and Kevin Hart/Tiffany Haddish beef. Katt has done a lot of crazy shit (fighting kids, getting into fights at concerts, and basically fighting everyone and anybody period), but I think he has many salient points about Kevin. Based on Kevin's interview on the Breakfast Club (w/ Tiffany) recently, it's starting to get under his skin that Katt calls him a Hollywood puppet and has been for the last few years. Kevin was babbling a lot and trying to make it seem like Katt was on drugs (sounds familiar, huh?) and that he (Kevin) is trying to create opportunities for other black people. Besides the Plastic Cup Boyz, I can't really name a bunch of people. Lil Rel Howery had that comedy special before Get Out that Kevin hooked up for him, but Get Out (and the Carmichael Show) is what got him the show on Fox that's coming out this week. Also, I don't think those Comedy Central specials mean a whole bunch now in an era where Netflix can drop seven dozen specials on one day. Once Kevin tried to make it a case of reverse racism in Hollywood, I don't know if I can rock with Kevin.

You can't really blame a person for getting blackballed who recently got un-blacklisted and won an Emmy when all your answers clearly are filtered so you yourself don't get blackballed. Black people are siding with Katt because Katt's career has survived for mostly saying and doing what he wants and Kevin is trying to present this image of himself that doesn't really line up with who he actually is. That and a good amount don't like his comedy but comedy is subjective so hey. Everyone who has followed Kevin since before he got famous knows too much about Kevin for him to make it seem like he is the new MC Hammer and just giving everyone jobs. After he did the Breakfast Club interview, Leslie Jones called him out for never taking female comics on the road. 

I don't fault Kevin for responding, but he's not going to win this black street credibility war with Katt Williams. Katt has never been the one to mince words, and Kevin is going to make sure all his words don't piss off anyone in Hollywood. Moreover, Kevin is not going to be able to refute anything Katt says about him. I will say this...Katt basically said what he been saying for the last four or five years to get Kevin triggered and didn't even bring up Kevin cheating on his current wife Eniko who was pregnant at the time or the whole Kevin getting extorted by one of his best friends in the process. Considering how well Katt can play the dozens (see the Wanda Smith interview that went viral recently), he could have utterly destroyed Kevin in the eyes of black folks based off that. Kevin went to Katt being on drugs and basically didn't address anything Katt actually said. So who went high and who went low? That's why not I'm seeing Night School, personally. Kevin tried to save face but it was see-through. 

On 9/19/2018 at 12:27 AM, J.T. said:

IIRC, they will have to tinker with the antagonists a bit since the

Reveal hidden contents

elite group of cyber criminals led by Lisbeth's twin sister

all go by hacker handles pulled from Marvel Comics characters.  One guy goes by Thanos and another antagonist calls herself Wasp.

I am not even sure why I put that bit in a spoiler since the Wikipedia page burns that angle in the Casting section.

I read the book last week when I was on night shift.  It is a bit convoluted, but it is a solid espionage thriller and it has toned down cartoonish features which bogged down Larsson's final Millennium novel like Mikael Bloomqvist being Sweeden's biggest booty magnet and Lisbeth breaking into the most secure computer networks in the world by magic.

I am kinda happy that the US reboot did not survive past Dragon Tattoo because the Kicked The Hornet's Nest novel got really silly at the end and it made for a pretty ridiculous movie. 

I'm still bummed that Bloomqvist has been relegated from co main character to sidekick, but Lisbeth Salander is the face of the franchise now, so you may as well use her to sell this movie to the hardcore fans of the novels.

I just finished the novel in question, and frankly I thought it was pretty mediocre. Salander was barely in it for most of it, and I got pretty sick of Bloomqvist. It needed a major rewrite to make a movie out of it, I thought. I remember reading the originals a few years ago, but can only remember the first one. . . .

Technically should go in the Horror thread but I am here

Specifically for @J.T. and @Elsalvajeloco

Deadline reports that a competitive bidding war is currently happening between major Hollywood studios for the rights package to an American remake of the 2016 hit Korean zombie film Train to Busan. Among those bidding for the film are New Line Cinema, Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Lionsgate Films and Screen Gems. Following the commercial success of The Nun,Gary Dauberman is set to write the horror remake’s script with James Wan producing.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Galveston

Ben Forster, Elle Fanning

I saw the title and really hoped this was a biopic on Isaac Cline.  The guy who in 1900 correctly predicted the Galveston hurricane after having lobbied to the city to not build a seawall years before.   If you're a weather nerd, this would be a dream film.  

---

Also, unrelated, since the horror thread is like 5 people talking about how cool Pumpkinhead is for 50 pages, here's some news:

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Galveston

Ben Forster, Elle Fanning

YIkes.  Some production company was about 4 years too late jumping on the Pizzolatto gravy train.

I read this book after season 1 of True D, and let's jus say Nicky wasn't especially kind to Fanning's character.  I'm actually kinda interested to see if having a female director might change some of that.

Yeah it's funny. The story I got the trailer from was all FROM THE PERSON WHO WROTE TRUE DETECTIVE!!!! and I was like "Man - that would have been a lot more impactful like 30 months ago."