DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

57 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

No, you aren't tripping, they really did find some Hungarian dude that looks just like Charles Bronson to make a Death Wish ripoff

Given that Bronson's parents were from the old USSR, I've seen a bunch of Russian (and former Soviet states) boxing trainers who look just like Charles Bronson. It ain't that hard to find an old dude with a balled-up face.

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

In that case I'm surprised that nobody else (say, an enterprising Italian producer) took the opportunity to do so until now

They probably heard Robert Rodriguez was remaking Death Wish and thought there would be renewed interest in Bronson. Imagine being on Netflix and some algorithm leads you to that after watching Mr. Majestyk or Hard Times. You'll be a little freaked out at potentially undead Charles Bronson, but they now have your intrigue.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Undead Charles Bronson would probably be no less mobile than Live Charles Bronson. I can imagine the cadaver bitching "You brought me back to make ANOTHER one of these?!" though.

Plus it would make the title much more on-point. "Death Wish: No, Really"

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Another trailer for The Girl in the Spider's Web

IIRC, they will have to tinker with the antagonists a bit since the

Spoiler

elite group of cyber criminals led by Lisbeth's twin sister

all go by hacker handles pulled from Marvel Comics characters.  One guy goes by Thanos and another antagonist calls herself Wasp.

I am not even sure why I put that bit in a spoiler since the Wikipedia page burns that angle in the Casting section.

I read the book last week when I was on night shift.  It is a bit convoluted, but it is a solid espionage thriller and it has toned down cartoonish features which bogged down Larsson's final Millennium novel like Mikael Bloomqvist being Sweeden's biggest booty magnet and Lisbeth breaking into the most secure computer networks in the world by magic.

I am kinda happy that the US reboot did not survive past Dragon Tattoo because the Kicked The Hornet's Nest novel got really silly at the end and it made for a pretty ridiculous movie. 

I'm still bummed that Bloomqvist has been relegated from co main character to sidekick, but Lisbeth Salander is the face of the franchise now, so you may as well use her to sell this movie to the hardcore fans of the novels.