DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Freddie's "AIDS period" (and fucking yuck to that phrasing, btw) started WELL before his 1987 diagnosis of AIDS. 

The way the disease works is this:  you get HIV however you get it (sex, needles, transfusion, being born to an HIV+ mother), have it for a while -- years -- usually asymptomatically, and then when the virus starts attacking your white blood cells, that's when you get diagnosed with AIDS.   If the disease has progressed to the point you get diagnosed with AIDS, especially in 1987 -- you will die soon. AIDS kills you by allowing any disease that your body normally would fight off easily can kill you. You don't die of AIDS, you die with AIDS.

There were rumors of Mercury being HIV+ since the early 80's.  And if you aren't aware, literally not figuratively literally hundreds of thousands of people died in the 1980's to the "Gay Man's Plague".  This story has the ability to show one of the most talented, influential musical legends and how his life paralleled that of a hedonistic generation of gay men in Europe, Australia, & America, and tell a larger story of what it meant to have this disease that carried not only a death sentence, but a social stigma, that left thousands orphaned from any kind of basic human treatment (on top of being gay or pansexual or however Mercury chose to identify).  

He held fear in his heart about what his diagnosis meant for his career and his fame, until the week of his death.  

He was an icon.  He could have been a hero.  A beacon of light to a generation of INCREDIBLY talented men and women we lost to a horrible, horrible, horrible disease.   

But he wasn't.  

That's Freddy Mercury's legacy.  And THAT is the story they should have made.  Not Brian May trying to fucking figure out why Freddie wanted to add god damned orchestral pieces to a 6 minute song. 

Queen is my favorite band of all time, still is, and has been for a very very long time.

I agree with every single word Dolfan  wrote here.

Freddie Mercury's legacy is that he is on the Mt. Rushmore of rock frontmen and that's it. A gay rock star with AIDS would have been commericial death in the 1980's. He was a fucking rock star, but just that, and thinking he should have been more is just wishful thinking. It can reflect poorly on his character if you wish, but he was what he was. Now, that is a completely different argument as to whether AIDS should have been in this movie, because of course it should have. 

The Happytime Murders

It is a Red Bad Trailer (I mean it ends with a puppet ejaculating for roughly 20 seconds)

It also looks horrible so yeah... don't watch this shit.

Thank God it is dead last on my Box Office list

5 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

LOL

I'm so glad I included it in the pool.

If that trailer had come out before I submitted my entry - I would have put it dead last on my RT list too

Though fucking Sausage Party got a 82% fresh so what the fuck do I know?

I mean, on paper, Avenue Q should not work.  At all.   But it does (or honestly, did, because it's super dated now) and was fucking hilarious, because it told a larger story than "LOL puppets doing human stuff like sex."  That's clearly where Happytime Murders is aiming. 

That being said, the last twenty seconds was a puppet ejaculating silly string.  So, unless it's above a 90 on RT, it's a hard pass for me. 

Yeah, this really seems like Brian Henson trying to give the Muppets an edge, but it comes off exactly like Brian Henson trying to give the Muppets an edge.  Meaning Brian Henson is a super square.  A cop, to those extremely online.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

If that trailer had come out before I submitted my entry - I would have put it dead last on my RT list too

I had no idea what the fuck it was, so I left it completely off my ballot.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I saw someone had it fourth on their RT list last night. That's incredibly bold.

Oh hey that's me. I was hoping (and I guess AM hoping) that it gets a boost from the same kind of "VULGARITY IN A FRANCHISE ASSOCIATED WITH CHILDREN'S ENTERTAINMENT HOW FRESH HOW NOVEL" critical pop that Deadpool got. For better or worse, seasoned critics can often be influenced by 'How often have I seen this lately?'. Throw in some degree of Muppets nostalgia and I thought hey, why not. It remains to be seen if that's what sinks me but I don't really think it'll pay off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Halle Berry

Meh

Anjelica Huston

Who cares

Mark Dacascos

He's still alive?

Jason Mantzoukas

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 2
  • Haha 1