DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Well this is finally happening...

THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE

Starring Jonathan Pryce and Adam Driver

Directed by Terry Gillam 

This movie has been in production for almost 20 years(!), and it's finally getting its premiere at this year's Cannes (thus the French subtitles)  Here's a good write-up of the insanity that's happened: https://www.vox.com/2018/5/1/17272342/don-quixote-man-who-killed-terry-gilliam-paulo-brasco-cannes-lawsuit

On 5/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Directed by Terry Gillam 

This movie has been in production for almost 20 years(!), and it's finally getting its premiere at this year's Cannes (thus the French subtitles)  Here's a good write-up of the insanity that's happened: https://www.vox.com/2018/5/1/17272342/don-quixote-man-who-killed-terry-gilliam-paulo-brasco-cannes-lawsuit

I get a kick out of the idea that when this started pre-production in 98, Depp was in the Driver role and they were pretty close to the same age. I look forward to Pirates 10 in 2038 with Driver as Jack Sparrow.

I don't know, this could be good. They did the right thing by having Taron Egerton be Robin Hood. That dude is pretty likable and charismatic. I do kinda wish they didn't reveal he's Robin Hood until the movie actually comes out. Make everyone think he's the sheriff of Nottingham.

I mean, this is basically Kingsman, but Robin Hood. I suppose I'll be fine with that whenever this hits Netflix.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, RIPPA said:

Why does England look like Westeros?

Why are the Merry Men dressed like the Hashishin from Assassin's Creed?

Did we learn nothing from shitty shitty shitty King Arthur:  The Legend Of The Sword?

I started to say that I might be more accepting of it if it was billed as a reboot of Prince of Thieves. I then realized that no one could come close to Alan Rickman and then I got sad that Alan Rickman was dead

• Sad 5

There will be a sequel to The Hitman's Bodyguard entitled The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard

Beyond that - nothing else has been confirmed yet

As happy as I am to see that news, I was sorta hoping for an Bill / Ted reunion in John Wick 3.

Just like how we got the Neo / Morpheus reunion in John Wick 2.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Directed by Terry Gillam 

Oh, no...

Amazon is poised to pull out of distributing Terry Gilliam’s “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” in the United States, Variety has confirmed.

The film has been embroiled in an ongoing legal dispute over its ownership. A court decision on whether it can be screened at this year’s Cannes Film Festival is expected Wednesday.

“The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” has had a tortured production history. Gilliam started shooting the picture in 1998 with Jean Rochefort as Quixote and Johnny Depp playing a marketing executive who is sent back in time. However, shooting stopped after Rochefort became ill and the film was plagued with financial difficulties and insurance problems.