DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

I will say that the passage where Victor is immediately horrified by something he personally spent months laboring into being always jumped out to me as Shelley putting words to something that really had no definition yet and wouldn't for over a century. 

Oh, I'm not saying you weren't on the right track. 

The fact that Victor takes no pleasure or pride in what he's created speaks volumes to your hypothesis about Frankenstein being Shelly's vehicle to discuss post partum depression, and Victor always refers to the process of building his creation as "painful labor."

My British Lit professor in college also shared your hypothesis.  As he so aptly put it, "The monster has a face only a mother could love but he doesn't have one in the story, so Mary Shelly assumes that role by being his advocate and making sure his side of the story is told.."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

I agree. It was more that the entire class had to present the same paper and I was trying to figure out a different way in than most of the other students were taking. I will say that the passage where Victor is immediately horrified by something he personally spent months laboring into being always jumped out to me as Shelley putting words to something that really had no definition yet and wouldn't for over a century. 

I would quite honestly love to read this paper.  It seems like an amazing take and I love, love, love the implications here.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

I would quite honestly love to read this paper.  It seems like an amazing take and I love, love, love the implications here.

Talking about it made me curious if I still have it. I should since I'm normally a pack rat when it comes to things I wrote when I was younger. 

On 4/12/2018 at 8:30 AM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

No need for CGI. John Wayne's not dead. He's frozen.

And as soon as we find a cure for cancer, we're gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know why? Have you ever taken a cold shower? Well multiply that by 15 million times that's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Someone at Paramount obviously reads this board.

It's game on for F. Gary Gray and Hasbro's M.A.S.K. property.

The Fate of the Furious filmmaker will direct the project for Paramount, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

No writer is yet attached to the project, based on the 1980s property created by the now-defunct toy company Kenner. The premise, which revolves around the task force M.A.S.K. (which stands for Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and its battle against the evil V.E.N.O.M. (Vicious Evil Network of Mayhem), has spawned a cartoon series and comics in addition to a number of toys. Gray is producing the film along with Hasbro.

I would go see the MASK movie a million billion times.

DVDVR Films will be talking to its legal staff and will launch an investigation into the theft of our idea for our first tentpole franchise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A final trailer was released for Jurassic World 2. I'm not even posting it. That movie looks like total dogshit. One part rescue mission for a raptor they think everyone remembers and gives a shit about and one part MOAR LOST WORLD with dinosaurs messing up the mainland. It looks worse than Jurassic World.

I fully expect it to rake at the box office.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

A final trailer was released for Jurassic World 2. I'm not even posting it. That movie looks like total dogshit. One part rescue mission for a raptor they think everyone remembers and gives a shit about and one part MOAR LOST WORLD with dinosaurs messing up the mainland. It looks worse than Jurassic World.

It should be one of the easier movies to place for the pool as far as position on your ballot goes (High BO / Low RT).

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Someone at Paramount obviously reads this board.

I would go see the MASK movie a million billion times.

DVDVR Films will be talking to its legal staff and will launch an investigation into the theft of our idea for our first tentpole franchise.

MASK is the reason I write about cars for a living... even though every one I've driven since has been a disappointment due to not converting into rockets or battering rams.

One weird thing though: I don't remember ever watching the cartoon, or it ever being on in my house, yet I had loads of the toys *shrug*

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

One weird thing though: I don't remember ever watching the cartoon, or it ever being on in my house, yet I had loads of the toys *shrug*

I had no toys but I watched so much of the cartoon that I knew the theme by heart.

The only thing that will bug me is if they include T-Bob, the robot scooter companion for the MASK commander's son.

I am not sure why every cartoon since the early 80's needed a cute robot as comedy relief.  I blame Star Wars.

We ruined perfectly good episodes of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman by renaming it to Battle of the Planets and putting an R2D2 clone named 7-Zark-7 into the storylines.  God bless the USA.

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

THE EQUALIZER 2

Starring Denzel Washington, and... bad guys getting shot dead or murdered with home improvement equipment.

I'm already there. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am not sure why every cartoon since the early 80's needed a cute robot as comedy relief.  I blame Star Wars.

Shit, not just cute robots, cute little comedy relief characters period. Don't forget Orko in He-Man and Snarf in Thundercats, or even the much loathed Scrappy Doo.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit, not just cute robots, cute little comedy relief characters period. Don't forget Orko in He-Man and Snarf in Thundercats, or even the much loathed Scrappy Doo.

Fair warning... You will be banned for bagging on Snarf.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I had no toys but I watched so much of the cartoon that I knew the theme by heart.

The only thing that will bug me is if they include T-Bob, the robot scooter companion for the MASK commander's son.

We ruined perfectly good episodes of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman by renaming it to Battle of the Planets and putting an R2D2 clone named 7-Zark-7 into the storylines.  God bless the USA.

At least it's a cool theme, although how the bad guys are from "beyond space" always confused me, even as a kid. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Scrappy doo should not be legal to say in the English language. . ..  .