DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Donnie Yen has been cast as Commander Tung in Disney's live action version of Mulan

This makes me happy, but I will make my decision on whether or not to watch this once they announce who will play Shan Yu.

Benedict Wong should totally play Yao.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, he'd be no more out of place than Matt Damon. 

Disney has seen huge profit from culture conformation this year, so I honestly think that they'll do their best to go with all Chinese or Chinese-Americans in the cast of Mulan if only for the critical acclaim and huge profit that is potentially in store for going that route..

They may even be anal enough to talent search a Mongolian for the role of Shen Yu.

I'm not sure how well casting a Japanese or Japanese-American actor in one of those roles would go over these days, but no one seemed to get too bent out of shape when Tadanobu Asano played Drizzt Do'urden...

9200000018268469.jpg

umm... Genghis Khan in Mongol back in 2007. 

Mongol was well received and won quite a few awards.

36 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

No need for CGI. John Wayne's not dead. He's frozen.

Anyway, I want wacky Jim Carrey back.

Dark Crimes

Director: Alexandros Avranas

Starring: Jim Carrey, Marton Csokas, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Agata Kulesza, Kati Outinen and Zbigniew Zamachowski

This will probably be more like The Number 23 than Eternal Sunshine or The Truman Show, but that trailer is mildly intriguing.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Disney has seen huge profit from culture conformation this year, so I honestly think that they'll do their best to go with all Chinese or Chinese-Americans in the cast of Mulan if only for the critical acclaim and huge profit that is potentially in store for going that route..

They caught flack for the live action Aladdin casting (in addition to adding a character) but they really didn't make any changes like what happened with the new Hellboy film. Nobody got replaced.

I remember watching The Man in the High Castle and being stunned that Joel de la Fuente is everything but Japanese. The De la Fuente is a dead giveaway that he is at least Filipino. Louis Ozawa Changchien is also on the show, and he usually plays every Asian character under the sun. My point being that character actors seem to have more flexibility. 

However, how many folks have the courage to start the dialogue on stuff like this like Samuel L. Jackson did with Get Out and the choice to cast a British person to play an African-American character? Granted it was after the fact, but the argument was still valid.

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

If you've never read about the case Dark Crimes is based on buckle up because it's insane. 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/02/11/true-crime

The movie has been on the shelf for at least two years, so it's probably pretty bad, but I'll check it out.

The trailer accomplishes two things at once:

- It makes the movie seem far more interesting than the characters it's based upon, and 

- Also makes it more glaringly similar to Basic Instinct.

As for the actual guy who did this crap...what a moron. Smart enough to con people his whole life, too stupid to use a VPN or a burner.

But a restrained Jim Carrey role could be interesting. Bill Murray doing the blase bit he's done since Rushmore always came off like he was phoning it in to varying degrees. Carrey is such a wild overactor that pulling back on the reins this much seems like a Herculean task on his part.

39 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

The trailer accomplishes two things at once:

- It makes the movie seem far more interesting than the characters it's based upon, and 

- Also makes it more glaringly similar to Basic Instinct.

As for the actual guy who did this crap...what a moron. Smart enough to con people his whole life, too stupid to use a VPN or a burner.

But a restrained Jim Carrey role could be interesting. Bill Murray doing the blase bit he's done since Rushmore always came off like he was phoning it in to varying degrees. Carrey is such a wild overactor that pulling back on the reins this much seems like a Herculean task on his part.

They're definitely going for broke selling it as an erotic thriller. It's funny that the guy seemed to fancy himself a Hannibal Lecteresque super criminal, but it was mostly a matter of dumb luck that the police took so long to establish what was ultimately a very clear and mundane motive. 

Carrey doing Nordic Noir is certainly intriguing. 

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

UPGRADE 

Highly NSFW and not for the squeamish. I am going to see it as soon as humanly possible. This is gonna be a blast. 

EDIT: If I had to describe it, I'd say... Cyberpunk meets Splatterpunk. So if either of those float your boat...

Curt hates my posts.

Yes, that looks fucking sick. 

Yes, I will go see it no matter how stupid it is.

That looks okay, but I'd probably watch Gothic again before I'd check it out. At least it looks like they're exploring how Shelley's work was informed by losing her baby. I had to write a paper in college about Frankenstein and the best angle I could come up with was that the novel was a metaphor for postpartum depression. 

32 minutes ago, (BP) said:

That looks okay, but I'd probably watch Gothic again before I'd check it out. At least it looks like they're exploring how Shelley's work was informed by losing her baby. I had to write a paper in college about Frankenstein and the best angle I could come up with was that the novel was a metaphor for postpartum depression. 

I can see how you might think that, but IMO the story really does follow the Modern Prometheus subtext that was removed from the book's title.

Frankenstein flirts with the laws of nature and brings a creation that he really doesn't care about into the world and then he is punished by his creation for his hubris. 

The Monster's lack of a sense or purpose begin with Victor not even bothering to give the creature a name and then shit just mushrooms from there.

I think they will tie some of the central themes of Frankenstein (lack of purpose, marginalization by general society) and try to imply that Mary Shelly wrote the book out of some sort of veiled feminist ideology that she may or may not have had.

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I can see how you might think that, but IMO the story really does follow the Modern Prometheus subtext that was removed from the book's title.

Frankenstein flirts with the laws of nature and brings a creation that he really doesn't care about into the world and then he is punished by his creation for his hubris. 

The Monster's lack of a sense or purpose begin with Victor not even bothering to give the creature a name and then shit just mushrooms from there.

I think they will tie some of the central themes of Frankenstein (lack of purpose, marginalization by general society) and try to imply that Mary Shelly wrote the book out of some sort of veiled feminist ideology that she may or may not have had.

I agree. It was more that the entire class had to present the same paper and I was trying to figure out a different way in than most of the other students were taking. I will say that the passage where Victor is immediately horrified by something he personally spent months laboring into being always jumped out to me as Shelley putting words to something that really had no definition yet and wouldn't for over a century.