DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

On 1/24/2018 at 11:43 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I was listening to a show where Michael Jai White was a guest last week and I believe he said the movie he was working was more like a spiritual successor to Black Dynamite and in the process of finding funding. Didn't give a ton of details other than he was working on it.

So here is the trailer to follow up on what I said up above

You knew Michael was going to sneak an MMA fighter in this.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, when I saw that it was 

Reveal hidden contents

Josh Barnett

I legit cracked up. That's someone who's needed an acting role for a long time. 

Well since he is dealing with USADA and facing a long suspension most likely, he's going to have more time to act and do VO work for New Japan on AXS. Then again, UFC has allowed him to do other stuff beyond fighting before his suspension. Other fighters have done films, but Barnett took two years off to do other stuff and then went back to do wrestling. Came back to fighting where he fought three straight times in a year, which he hadn't done in years. Then, he got busted for PEDs for like the fifth or sixth time in his career.  The UFC has gone above and beyond for a guy who doesn't really give a shit about the UFC and the UFC apparently doesn't give a shit about in return. Yet, he is allowed to fight whenever he feels like in between films, TV work, and pro wrestling. Bizarre but I guess there is nothing else can you do with Josh Barnett.

In Hollywood, "Original Concept" means "not a sequel, prequel, remake, spin-off or adaptation." If it would technically be eligible for "The Academy Award for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) it's an original concept.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

In Hollywood, "Original Concept" means "not a sequel, prequel, remake, spin-off or adaptation." If it would technically be eligible for "The Academy Award for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) it's an original concept.

I've only heard the term twice, both very recently, which tells me it's a new buzzword that marketing people are trying out.  It's funny that Hollywood has gotten so risk-averse and reliant on the built-in audience the existing IP brings that there has to be a special term for something that goes outside that model. 

judy-first-image-hr-1-cropped.jpg?w=999&

Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland

Judy is the name of the movie

The movie is set in the late 1960s as Garland arrives in the British capital for a run of sell-out concerts.

As well as Zellweger in the lead role, the cast includes Jessie Buckley (“War and Peace”), Finn Wittrock (“American Horror Story”) and Michael Gambon (“Harry Potter”).

Garland’s dates at the Talk of the Town nightclub came toward the end of the icon’s long career and shortly before her death. The movie will recount her performances, with some of her best-known numbers, including “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

The film also delves into Garland’s behind-the-scenes battles with management, her relationships with musicians and fans, and the unfolding family drama that provided the backdrop to the London performances. She died in London in June 1969.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

judy-first-image-hr-1-cropped.jpg?w=999&

Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland

Judy is the name of the movie

More than anything else, I want to hear Renee drunkenly scream out SID LUFT:

Spoiler

If you haven't heard these, definitely do, they're amazing:

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Starring Jeremy Renner, Ed Helms, Rashida Jones, and Hannibal Burress.

I like how Isla Fisher and Jon Hamm are all over the trailer but clearly will be in it for less than 10 minutes