DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Damn, they finished The Predator last June. Also, I had no idea Shane Black was Hawkins in the OG Predator. 

The best part of the story is that Black wasn't brought on for his acting skills.  The script was either unfinished or needed polish, and Black had some writing credits, so the producers hired him under the guise of it being an acting role, hoping he'd just kind of pitch in on the script while he was there.

• Like 3

THE PARTY

Starring Patricia Clarkson, Timothy Spall, Cillian Murphy, Kristin Scott Thomas

Opens today and has an 88% on RT, so if you're locked out of Black Panther,  you could do worse. 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, GojiColin said:

Does @Neil Koch still do that HK Films website? Maybe he knows who the new hotness is?

Sorry for the late response.

There really aren't any great young action stars in Hong Kong.  The methods that produced the stars of the 70s - 90s are long gone now (like the studio system and borderline child abuse kung fu/opera training) and local audiences prefer US blockbusters anyway (except for the propagandistic stuff like Wolf Warrior 2) so most of the young actors gravitate towards comedy or romance.  The industry is a shell of its former self and anything that gets produced nowadays is beholden to Mainland censorship, so any Sleeping Dogs movie is probably going to very watered down, because Mainland films can't show the cops in a bad light at all.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Just when you thought that Skyscraper was going to be the best absurd, dumb, and awesome guilty pleasure movie of the summer.

Here comes The Hurricane Heist

Yes.   Here it comes.

THE HURRICANE HEIST

Starring Toby Kebbell, Maggie Grace, Ryan Kwanten 
Directed By: Rob Cohen (The Fast and The Furious, XXX)

I'm not sure why this is getting a March release.  Some studios just can't behind good projects.  I guess we'll have to hope the Academy remembers.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There is a difference between a Rock movie and a Maggie Grace movie

Maggie is not playing an amputee even though Kim Mills ran like a cripple in the first Taken movie?

My theater put that Hurricane Heist movie in front of Black Panther. My wife and I legit thought it was a joke. We just kept expecting it to turn into a commercial for Coke or Cinemark.

We then wondered how a movie like that makes it into theaters, but something equally crappy like the Cloverfield Paradox doesn't. 

• Like 1