DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR 2 OFF: Royal Rumble 1999

RIPPA

See you guys are proving my point!

Here is Foley talking about it on Austin's podcast what appears a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-vSWRNCqFc

Basically Foley describes it as "it just got out of hand"

Agreed upon number of shots was 5 (Austin must have said that like 3 or 4 times along with saying "This was agreed upon")

It seems like over time Foley has accepted he had more of a role in it than just laying it all at the feet of the Rock. (The big part being that Foley should have been moving the spots along from the first shot but it's clear he had a concussion after the first one but Rock was clearly going with what the vet was calling and no one at that time properly having any clue how to work around brain trauma.)

• Like 3

Remember in the one book, Mick talking about how he was angry for months that Rock didn't apologize/check on him after the match?

Yeah, if you watch Beyond the Mat, you see Rock checking on him after the match.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Remember in the one book, Mick talking about how he was angry for months that Rock didn't apologize/check on him after the match?

Yeah, if you watch Beyond the Mat, you see Rock checking on him after the match.

I just watched the Rock/Foley parts of this recently and I don't recall that happening, perhaps I just missed it?

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think Foley played that shit up for another feud with Rock down the line. They played on that stuff in late 99.

As for the match, its always going to sadden me that the guy who worked a classic with Shawn with minimal sick bumps while in a goofy gimmick couldn't do the same with Rock.

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I haven't seen it in years but didn't he go through a table head first in that? Or am I thinking of some other match?

Probably another match or misremembering

It's mainly Foley taking a back bump through the table with Michaels riding him down

3 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

As for the match, its always going to sadden me that the guy who worked a classic with Shawn with minimal sick bumps while in a goofy gimmick couldn't do the same with Rock.

Well to be fair - as mentioned in the clip with Foley and Austin - the point of the Rock match was to get over that Rock had a vicious side so it was booked to be nasty. (Kinda how Foley then had the same "job" in the matches with HHH, Edge and Orton)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well to be fair - as mentioned in the clip with Foley and Austin - the point of the Rock match was to get over that Rock had a vicious side so it was booked to be nasty. (Kinda how Foley then had the same "job" in the matches with HHH, Edge and Orton)

I get your point, but there's ways of doing it without literally killing your self. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, gotta be some other match. I remember a bump from something where he went headfirst through a table covered in like white cloth. They used to show that clip all the time. 

The headfirst table bump was against Taker at IYH: Revenge of Taker. Mick was on the apron and Taker charged him with the steps. Mick got nailed, went flying and bumped so that he went headfirst through the table.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

That hesitation by Vader os tearjerking. You just know the guy was hoping Foley would back out and change the spot last minute. 

What's crazy is that they did that just about as "safely" as you could hope. Vader followed through and released him low. 

On 12/28/2017 at 6:00 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Foley took some swipes at Rock on the Mat DVD commentary too so he clearly wasn't happy at the time.

I don't buy the "Rock lost control" excuse at all.  As much as this match is vilified (and rightfully so), Foley was once handcuffed and took 11 chair shots to the head against Shane Douglas in ECW at CyberSlam 96.  This angle was clearly a copy of it and I think Mick wanted to top it.  Foley would have been pissed if the match ended after a fifth chair shot.  Him saying that was the plan feels like revisionist history.