DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR 2 OFF: Royal Rumble 1999

RIPPA

Now I know why I blocked everything out of my mind from this show other than the Austin/Vince parts of the Rumble, the horrific finish to the I Quit match and and the dark match.

And yea - I remember my buddy and I were blown away by that dark match.

• Like 1

I was recently discussing on here the worst Rumble match and I was adamant it was the second one that Michaels won while someone told me it was this one. I remembered this one with fondness because of Vince winning which I thought was a real awesome angle.  The I went back and watched it and...I'm man enough to admit I was wrong. This match is shit.

22 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I own this show on VHS and for some reason cannot throw it away. I keep things. Even bad things, really terrible things.

Hey DFA, on an unrelated note, was that your tweet to Ilya Bryzgalov they read on the air a week or two back?!

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I own this show on VHS and for some reason cannot throw it away. I keep things. Even bad things, really terrible things.

That's how hoarding begins; being unable to part with bad wrestling shows on VHS.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's how hoarding begins; being unable to part with bad wrestling shows on VHS.

I have the ECW fancam of a show I went to in 1999 that featured a 45 minute long Tommy Dreamer/Steve Corino "comedy" match with Spike Dudley vs. RVD as the main event. I think I need to be on Hoarders more than someone who has Royal Rumble 1999.

• Like 1

In his book, Bob Holly said that Billy Gunn was slated to win the IC title here but got super hammered the night before and showed up massively hungover the day of the show. They changed the finish to Shamrock retaining b/c of that.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

In his book, Bob Holly said that Billy Gunn was slated to win the IC title here but got super hammered the night before and showed up massively hungover the day of the show. They changed the finish to Shamrock retaining b/c of that.

I also heard while getting super hammered, Gunn was bragging that he was going to win the title.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I also heard while getting super hammered, Gunn was bragging that he was going to win the title.

I heard that too. However, I'd imagine that showing up barely being able to function and in Jannetty condition on the day you're supposed to get a title played the biggest part in him not getting the title though.

10 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I heard that too. However, I'd imagine that showing up barely being able to function and in Jannetty condition on the day you're supposed to get a title played the biggest part in him not getting the title though.

Yeah, that only works in your favor if you're Shawn Michaels.

• Like 3

The I Quit match is one of the more conflicting matches for me in WWE history. On one hand, it's a very well put together match that has all the over-the-top attitude era flair with violence and grit taken to the next level with tremendous character work (no worse than the second best individual performance of The Rock's career) and a finishing stretch that gets every bit of the gut-wrenching, visceral, uncomfortable-to-watch reaction they were looking for. On the other hand, why this was ever allowed to happen (even in 1999) is beyond me. Foley made a career off ridiculous stunt bumps, but to me, the two most insane things he ever did are the match where he let Vader potato him for 10 minutes straight and the finish for this match.

Basically, I want to call it a great match, but I feel really bad about doing it.

The Rock getting carried away and Foley agreeing to the headshots at all (then stupidly letting his kids watch it in the crowd) are one thing. Vince telling Foley, "Never do anything like that again," after Hell in a Cell and then letting that match happen is among the shittiest and most irresponsible things Vince has ever done. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I seem to recall Foley saying somewhere down the line that the Rock did more than Foley'd agreed to.

I remember him saying that too, and for about three months I would see Rock and at some point think "Man, fuck that guy."  While I don't think that now there's no way I could watch that match again seeing all the chairshots that Foley took.  And what bugs me the most about it is that it really wasn't needed at all.  Put him in handcuffs but there was other stuff that could have been done without a chairshot to the head.

I also seem to recall the Rock responding to Foley by saying something like he was doing the spots that Foley was (angrily) calling for.  

And frankly, and this may be a hot take, but I am much more inclined to believe Rocky than a guy who has trouble remembering the way to drive home.