DVDVR Message Board

Merry Christmas 2017 and Happy New Year 2018 wishes!

The Natural

I wish... Kathy was just admitted to the hospital with fluid in her lungs. It's not exactly walking pneumonia but it's pretty close to that symptom-wise and I don't have enough oxygen cylinders to make the trip to the hospital and back so I can't even be with her. This just sucks. Fortunately I'm stocked up on cat food, so the little guys will be okay. Apparently they're going to load her up on antibiotics and keep her there for a couple of days (which makes little sense as she can take pills at home just as easily, but no doubt they want to run up the Medicaid bill.)

Oh well, at least I can amuse myself in the kitchen by making foods that are normally forbidden such as green eggs and ham for breakfast (one of my specialties that Kathy doesn't find to be the least bit amusing), and salt and pepper shrimp for dinner (made with ghost peppers, mmm, good, but I'm the only one that can stand the heat...) Green eggs and ham, here we go...

• Sad 10

11 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I wish... Kathy was just admitted to the hospital with fluid in her lungs. It's not exactly walking pneumonia but it's pretty close to that symptom-wise and I don't have enough oxygen cylinders to make the trip to the hospital and back so I can't even be with her. This just sucks. Fortunately I'm stocked up on cat food, so the little guys will be okay. Apparently they're going to load her up on antibiotics and keep her there for a couple of days (which makes little sense as she can take pills at home just as easily, but no doubt they want to run up the Medicaid bill.)

Oh well, at least I can amuse myself in the kitchen by making foods that are normally forbidden such as green eggs and ham for breakfast (one of my specialties that Kathy doesn't find to be the least bit amusing), and salt and pepper shrimp for dinner (made with ghost peppers, mmm, good, but I'm the only one that can stand the heat...) Green eggs and ham, here we go...

Best wishes to you and Kathy.

• Like 3

Sorry to read that, OSJ.  A friend of my wife had fluid in his lungs and he had to go to ICU.  He's out of the hospital and thankfully doing better, luckily.  But even though it's mainly antibiotics and not much worse it sucks you couldn't be with her.  Regarding oxygen tanks apparently they sell on TV one that's a lot more portable where oxygen supply isn't an issue for the tanks.  I'm blanking on the name unfortunately (quick Google search didn't show much) but if it actually works it might be an option worth checking out.

As for me I've been watching Christmas stuff with my wife and when we're both free on the weekend try to do something Christmas-related.  Past couple weekends that was mainly shopping and damn is it crazy out there.  I'm going after work today so I'm hoping it's not as painful, but I'm sure I'll need to finish up Saturday.  We had a holiday office party and a lot of darn good food was had.  The highlight was some of the best fried chicken I've had in awhile and a peppermint cheesecake which worked surprisingly well.  Damn, no wonder there's shittons of weight loss commercials this time of year, I feel like I could use all those damn products after all I'll eat the next few days.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 12:39 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

Sorry to read that, OSJ.  A friend of my wife had fluid in his lungs and he had to go to ICU.  He's out of the hospital and thankfully doing better, luckily.  But even though it's mainly antibiotics and not much worse it sucks you couldn't be with her.  Regarding oxygen tanks apparently they sell on TV one that's a lot more portable where oxygen supply isn't an issue for the tanks.  I'm blanking on the name unfortunately (quick Google search didn't show much) but if it actually works it might be an option worth checking out.

As for me I've been watching Christmas stuff with my wife and when we're both free on the weekend try to do something Christmas-related.  Past couple weekends that was mainly shopping and damn is it crazy out there.  I'm going after work today so I'm hoping it's not as painful, but I'm sure I'll need to finish up Saturday.  We had a holiday office party and a lot of darn good food was had.  The highlight was some of the best fried chicken I've had in awhile and a peppermint cheesecake which worked surprisingly well.  Damn, no wonder there's shittons of weight loss commercials this time of year, I feel like I could use all those damn products after all I'll eat the next few days.

Thanks for the good wishes, both you and @The Natural! She came home today with a bunch of antibiotics to take over the next several days and she needs to go back up there Tuesday to have an x-ray. If there's still fluid present they'll drain it, but it's an out-patient procedure hat takes "under an hour".

Yeah, there's definitely a portable oxygen generator available (made famous by Piney Winston on Sons of Anarchy), thing is there's a catch, (isn't there always?) Medicaid will pay for either the rather large "portable" home generator system and supplementary cylinders . It's "portable" in the sense that it has wheels and should I be low on thirty foot hoses I can actually drag the damn thing from room to room. The really portable system that you've seen on tv is possibly the better way to go, but here's the thing, Medicaid will pay for one system only; and no, you don't get to try one out for thirty days to see how you like it, you decide which one you're going to use for a year. With the more portable system, I have to check and make sure there aren't any hidden costs such as batteries not being covered as the batteries for the thing are a unique type that are totally useless or anything else, and cost $180.00 (yeah, there's no collusion and price gouging going on here, perish the thought.) 

Since my machine failed yesterday, I'm very receptive to the idea of making a change, I just need  to make sure what the out of pocket costs will actually be and that I'll have cylinders as a back-up. Yeah, my machine just shut off yesterday for no apparent reason and since I don't drive and our driver is in the hospital I was how you say, FUCKED.  I called the med supply company and was told by the perky young thing that answered the phone that she'd put in a work order, I asked what did that mean in terms of response time and was told perkily, "We almost always clear our work orders in 24 hours!" I replied "I don't think you quite grasp the situation, you see this machine produces oxygen, which I need to breathe, a window of much over an hour and the response time becomes somewhat moot as I can't answer the door when I'm dead. Now I could call an ambulance and have them send y'all the bill as our contract stipulates that I pay you guys on time and you guys will service my machine as needed, as it isn't working at all, I would have to say "as needed" would be right now." The truck was there in ten minutes, in the meantime I kicked the thing, I mean why the hell not, (it wasn't going to hurt anything ) and wouldn't you know it, that sumbitch fired right up. The service guys who came with a brand new machine mumbled something about not being sure what to do now that the machine was working again ... I said, "Well, let's think this thing thru... You can fill out the work order stating that you swapped out a new machine for the obviously defective one or you can write up "left customer with defective machine and instructions to kick it if it shut down again." Which will be looked at more favorably when you get your quarterly review? "Where would you like your new machine plugged in, is this outlet okay?" "Why yes, that will be just fine..."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Remember when you were younger and if a relative bought you socks they were the worst human being that ever lived?

I know I'm getting fucking old because I'm half way excited by new socks. That new sock feeling when you first put your feet in them is so fucking good though.

Fuck, don't hate me, I'm so fucking old.

Buy me Scalextric or Subbuteo next year.

• Like 5

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 12:44 PM, OSJ said:

Love and prayers go out to Kathy, my brother from another mother.

Keep me posted.

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, Zimbra said:

Underwear, socks, and work clothes are all top-tier gifts when you're an adult.

It was fucking frigid on Christmas Day.

I received five pairs of thermal underwear and five pairs of thermal socks as a present.  I nearly that dance around that box that the dude does around that SUV in that fucking Lexus commercial.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, Death From Above said:

Useful gifts are the real, not the jabroni.

My head wanted a copy of Destiny 2 for XB1.

My heart wanted a new drill.  I have two curtain rods to install this weekend and I really really could use a new fucking drill.

My old drill is a piece of shit.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Love and prayers go out to Kathy, my brother from another mother.

Keep me posted.

Is all good. She's tearing around the house bucket of cleaning supplies in tow griping about what a mess I and the cats made... Yesterday she had me remove the dressing from where they drained a bunch of nasty stuff out of her lungs, after meticulously laying out rolls of gauze, scissors, reminding me about putting direct pressure on a wound to stop bleeding (uh, yeah, and who was it that taught you that? Just sayin').  Anyway after all these preparations as she was sure blood would be spraying everywhere like the climax of a good Hammer film, I removed the bandage... Nothing, zip, nada, nil. With a magnifying glass I can see the needle mark where it was inserted, but I figure that will disappear in a couple of days. I just sat there laughing, she was less amused. We didn't really do anything about Xmas or New Years, but we rarely do.

Thanks for the good wishes, my brother from different parents. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My head wanted a copy of Destiny 2 for XB1.

My heart wanted a new drill.  I have two curtain rods to install this weekend and I really really could use a new fucking drill.

We have one you could use, there is that distance thing, though...