Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

WWE ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 (Jan 28, 2018)


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'd love to see the Twitter meltdown of "oh my God Punk is coming back" if AJ Lee was a surprise in it (this won't be happening, I'm pretty damn sure)

Especially if then Punk continued to not return.

I'm waiting til they realize they got nothing for Roman past Brock and throw a bunch of money and the Mania 35 main event at Punk. Then we'll see if he's really "Johnny and Moz refusing to reunite" stubborn or just working...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Rousey wins it,  Apparently, several of the women on the roster think she (Rousey) will be in it.  Meltzer threw out the idea that Asuka wins the RAW Women's Title from Alexa to set up Asuka vs. Rousey.  For some reason, they've been having Asuka finish matches with the armbar instead of the Asuka Lock.

It makes sense.  If Rousey is in it, I can't see Vince jobbing her out and missing that mainstream attention he craves.  And it gets Rousey on WWE TV while still giving her a couple months to train before a singles match.  She can  be protected in a battle royal.

I think they probably should take the title off Bliss before WM.  She's treading water and has been for awhile.  There's not really an opponent out there that's going to excite anyone.  And she's still not particularly good in the ring, so putting her in the title match probably nets them a bad match. I don't want to see her trade strikes with Asuka or Rousey, and almost everything matchup with her has been done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I think Rousey wins it,  Apparently, several of the women on the roster think she (Rousey) will be in it.  Meltzer threw out the idea that Asuka wins the RAW Women's Title from Alexa to set up Asuka vs. Rousey.  For some reason, they've been having Asuka finish matches with the armbar instead of the Asuka Lock.

It makes sense.  If Rousey is in it, I can't see Vince jobbing her out and missing that mainstream attention he craves.  And it gets Rousey on WWE TV while still giving her a couple months to train before a singles match.  She can  be protected in a battle royal.

I think they probably should take the title off Bliss before WM.  She's treading water and has been for awhile.  There's not really an opponent out there that's going to excite anyone.  And she's still not particularly good in the ring, so putting her in the title match probably nets them a bad match. I don't want to see her trade strikes with Asuka or Rousey, and almost everything matchup with her has been done.

Asuka is already in the Rumble. She announced it on Raw and immediately followed up by removing Alexa's head from her shoulders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not like there isn't a number of RAWs in between the Rumble and WrestleMania. And Elimination Chamber is a RAW PPV, so it's possible it happens.

Also, Rousey has already been training for months. All of the 4 Horsewomen of MMA have been at the WWE Performance Center training.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I'm waiting til they realize they got nothing for Roman past Brock and throw a bunch of money and the Mania 35 main event at Punk. Then we'll see if he's really "Johnny and Moz refusing to reunite" stubborn or just working...

On one hand, I like Punk, that could be cool, etc etc

On the other, I ready enjoy watching people cry over Punk being gone and my idea should get more fanboy tears

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They might have, I don't recall reading anything about them leaving. Last I saw when Meltzer mentioned it was that all of them were there training. I think the plan has shifted from the Horsewomen vs Horsewomen match at WrestleMania, though. Sounds like they're leaving that on the table for SummerSlam or Survivor Series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

On one hand, I like Punk, that could be cool, etc etc

On the other, I ready enjoy watching people cry over Punk being gone and my idea should get more fanboy tears

I'd be fine if Punk never came back outside accepting going into the HoF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not expecting it, but a Punk return in Philly would be the next best thing to him returning in Chicago. It was in Philly's ROH where Punk starting making his name on the east coast, so the pop would be huge. I'm thinking almost rivaling Bryan Danielson YESing on the top of the steel cage on Raw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I thought the other two both left/stopped training.

Yes - in the most recent WON, it was stated that the two who aren't Rousey and Baszler stopped training.

It appears that the Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen is off so Rousey doing Rumble seems more likely. Let me find the exact bit

Quote

The only thing we do know is that Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir are no longer training for pro wrestling at this time, and were until not too long ago. That would seem to indicate the Four Horsewoman vs. Four Horsewoman idea for Rousey’s debut has been changed. Another indication is that Shayna Baszler is being pushed as a major debut in NXT, for a regular spot, and if they were doing that program, they should debut on television with an association together like originally happened at the Mae Young Classic tapings.

Rousey has been training for a long enough period of time that she’s got to be a lock for WrestleMania this year unless something unforeseen happens or some type of entertainment offer comes up to delay it. Between the unbeaten streak and switching to an armbar finish from the Asuka lock or the head kick, Asuka seems like she’s the one being groomed. Asuka is also the best female worker, and when she’s on, is right near the top, male or female, even if she hasn’t shown it as much in the last six months. But the idea of Rousey vs. Charlotte Flair, the daughter of Ric Flair, has the most mainstream marquee value, and Rousey is all about two things. The first is bringing in curiosity seekers and her fighting fan base to follow her into WWE, and using her name value to in some form give the rub to someone in WWE who can be the face of the female division. A lot depends on how long she’s committed because a long-term deal should end with a loss to the right person, and she shouldn’t be losing early. A one-time deal changes the dynamic.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Godfrey said:

All I ask for is a Rumble ‘91 style painting/poster for the women’s Rumble. I would pay up to and including $20 for one.

Now I want a sequence of portraits for every participant over the old timey Royal Rumble theme while Stephanie McMahon screams every name with maximum excitement.

(okay I actually want Vince to do it but I'll allow Stephanie)

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Somebody actually did a mock up of one for the 2015 Rumble, unfortunately his Vince voice is predictably lacking but his attention to detail on the graphics oozes nerd love

And just whets my appetite for a modern rumble with an authentic flashback intro

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yes - in the most recent WON, it was stated that the two who aren't Rousey and Baszler stopped training.

It appears that the Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen is off so Rousey doing Rumble seems more likely. Let me find the exact bit

 

Ah, I read that, but it wasn't the full quote on SquaredCircle, just the bit about her training for months now and the blurb about WrestleMania being likely unless something unforeseen happens. Dave is now saying that Rousey is filming a movie in Columbia this month, so the Rumble (while possible) would be difficult for her to make.

And this talk of "Stephanie will win the Rumble or face Rousey at WrestleMania" is fucking ridiculous. She hasn't been in a program with a female superstar that led to a match since, what, 2015? For all intents and purposes, while she's still the GM or commissioner or whatever, she's to the women's division what Kurt Angle is to the rest of the roster. Makes the big important matches and whatnot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...