DVDVR Message Board

WWE ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 (Jan 28, 2018)

RIPPA

I generally like the idea of two brands but it sure does kill the Royal Rumble's importance. Way too many winners have been featured in the midcard or undercard of Wrestlemania. 

I'll mostly be watching for schadenfreude. Can't wait for the crowd to turn on the men's match. I don't think Ronda not being there will turn the crowd but they'll probably be disappointed if she's not 30.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I'll mostly be watching for schadenfreude. Can't wait for the crowd to turn on the men's match. I don't think Ronda not being there will turn the crowd but they'll probably be disappointed if she's not 30.

What is so funny to me about this is that this is all the fans own creation.

At least with the Bryan thing you could say that the WWE has teased a bunch of things of Bryan wrestling again (I mean I don't agree with  it but at least you can make a case there). But outside of Rousey showing up at the MYC and her posting that she was training - there has been nothing on the WWE front.

But clearly they will have "screwed" the fans if she isn't in it.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

At least with the Bryan thing you could say that the WWE has teased a bunch of things of Bryan wrestling again (I mean I don't agree with  it but at least you can make a case there). But outside of Rousey showing up at the MYC and her posting that she was training - there has been nothing on the WWE front.

When have they teased Bryan wrestling again?

I have two New Japan shows from this weekend to watch. You think I need to see the two hour pre-show?

Even if I am rusty on the last few months of WWE, surely they'll do plenty of verbal and video recapping of anything important during the show itself. 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You would hope that Paige coming back in bad shape and being injured makes Bryan think twice about coming back but I doubt it.  They are clearly building to some sort of Shane/Bryan match which is a bad thing because Shane is not exactly the best worker.  

They deserve everything they get when D-Bry isn't in the match and the crowd hijacks the show again. They have hinted forever that Bryan will be back. If he's actually in the match or having a WWE sanctioned comeback, good on them for long-term booking but that's so unlikely at this stage.

As long as Roman FUCKING Reigns doesn’t win. If we all thought his 2015 Philly win with interference from The Rock was poorly received. This year the crowd might start a riot or at least throw shit into thing. Have Nakamura win and give us AJ vs Nakamura or do something crazy like Kofi and give Kofi a run finally. Or even Bitter Dolph although I think Dolph is going to be Bobby Roodes mystery opponent on the kick off show. They have the Elimination Chamber in Vegas come February to set up Reigns vs Brock and honestly that would be the better way to do it. Have a EC Match where the winner faces Brock for the Universal Championship at Mania. The local ad is making it seem like Reigns, Miz, Joe, Wyatt and Cena will be in the Chamber Match, throw in Braun and you got yourself one hell of an EC.

1 minute ago, paintedbynumbers said:

so steph on commentary basically means she will be in the match right? Can Steph take an over the top bump?   Also Lawler said he is doing commentary for the mens match. I thought this was odd, does this mean he or Booker are in the actual Rumble?  Waste of an entry if you ask me

I doubt it since they already ran the gimmick of all the announcers entering the match in 2012 (including Booker and Lawler)

Considering how many guys on the roster still aren't officially doing anything - them cramming random comedy people into the match would be disappointing (much like 2012 again)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I doubt it since they already ran the gimmick of all the announcers entering the match in 2012 (including Booker and Lawler)

Considering how many guys on the roster still aren't officially doing anything - them cramming random comedy people into the match would be disappointing (much like 2012 again)

I could be wrong but I was at the Pittsburgh Rumble and I think we got JBL in that one. It's an overused spot. I also agree they have a ton of guys not doing nothing. It's one of the first rumbles in a while where I am going to  be surprised with the ending.  Hopefully Philly and the rest of us aren't trolled

Everyone in Philly/South Jersey is in a great mood, which means they'll be super polite to each other and enter the building in an orderly fashion before doing Eagles chants during boring spots and shitting down the throat of whoever's pointing at the sign by the end of the night. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

They’re in Philly, I’d love to see The Sandman. They’ll never do it but Sandman swinging that cane around would be awesome.

It's going to be someone ECW, surely. Sandman would be coolest. Sabu would be fun, if he can still walk? 

It'll probably be Dreamer or RVD, though. What are those guys up to these days? 

How awesome would it be if the ECW surprise was actually Beulah in the women's rumble, though? 

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

Everyone in Philly/South Jersey is in a great mood, which means they'll be super polite to each other and enter the building in an orderly fashion before doing Eagles chants during boring spots and shitting down the the throat of whoever's pointing at the sign by the end of the night. 

And eviscerate whichever heels comes out wearing a Pats jersey.

10 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

It's going to be someone ECW, surely. Sandman would be coolest. Sabu would be fun, if he can still walk? 

It'll probably be Dreamer or RVD, though. What are those guys up to these days? 

How awesome would it be if the ECW surprise was actually Beulah in the women's rumble, though? 

Natural Born KIllers starts playing and the place erupts.

48 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

This year the crowd might start a riot or at least throw shit into thing.

Normally I roll my eyes about pearl-clutching predictions regarding shitty fan behaviour because we've seen so many threats of riots which never materialized. 

But right now, shitty Philly fans are enjoyed the spotlight during this Eagles' run. A few scumbags there may feel compelled to maintain their city's rep. Not a riot, but maybe some trash. 

But I maintain Reigns won't win, so it's not a real concern. 

36 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Last I looked they only had like 18 spots announced, so who the hell knows who might be in this 

The "unassigned" people at the moment are:

Bludgeon Brothers

Curt Hawkins

Dolph Ziggler

The Colons

Breezango

Ascension

Goldust

Heath Slater

Rhyno

Jinder Mahal

Mike Kanellis

Mojo Rawley

Sin Cara

Zack Ryder

Bo Dallas

Curtis Axel

Thats not including 205 Live guys and hurt guys who maybe return (Cass, Show, etc...)

I could have sworn Breezango declared but they aren't on the official list.

But still - at least 6 of those guys are getting in. Probably closer to 8. And don't forget if they allow someone who doesn't win a match into the Rumble (example, Reigns last year)

On the announced list - they actually have split it evenly

9 from SDL

8 from Raw

With Cena being the FA

who knows if they will try and keep that balance in the actual match