DVDVR Message Board

Raw Goes 2 Sleep - 12/18/2017

Dolfan in NYC

I don't want Steph in the Rumble match itself but it is a lot better then her joining the announcing team and calling it because of the history of the match. 

Also Shayna Baszler being in the match would make sense since she could interaction with Becky or Sasha or Bayley to plant seeds for the possible WrestleMania match. 

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Not including current champions Alexa Bliss and Charlotte, there are 19 women on the main roster. The Bellas take it to 21, with the Icons making it 23. That leaves only 7 spots to fill, easily done with 2-3 legends and a couple more NXT callups. Capping it at 20 is highly unlikely.

I am calling that Ronda Rousey is debuting at the Rumble.

So the Jason Jordan vs Seth Rollins match was the typical weekly Jason Jordan match which is something I was not expecting to say at all this year. I mean I like the guy well enough and I get the story that he is supposed to be this overly eager dude with a chip on his shoulder that it is too big that it is obviously affecting his brain or something, but this formula that they have for him as well as his acting ain't doing him favors. He comes off as forced and I appreciate that the WWE is not giving up on him because aside from the shitty angle of being Angle's son, I do think Jason Jordan is talented if anything else. The match was good just like all Jason Jordan matches, but it is killed because of his character no one likes if that makes sense. He is like X-Pac in a way. Good worker, shitty persona. Also, Seth's finisher has always been shitty. Dude is super athletic. He can do better than that. I mean I've seen Matt Riddle do that rip cord flying knee better because he actually does a flying knee. I get that he can't do  that Small Package Driver he used to do in ROH because there is no heat that be created with the movie since it is like an automatic pinfall, but come on. It is such an anti-climatic way to cap off matches.

I'm glad Hideo made it to the made show finally.  He put in the work. Maybe he can generate some more heat. as already stated, I wished he attacked Finn after the match since they literally have nothing with Finn. He has no real rivalries until the Miz returns and honestly, I don't see why Miz is even feuding with him since he appears to have issues with Roman since roman took the title from him. WWE just drop Finn in the cruiserweight division. Like just do it.

Speaking of which, Enzo needs to shut the fuck up on commentary. This was probably the longest work level match of the night and has been being built up for three weeks sans Enzo. 2 of the previous matches were arguable matches of their respective nights and have been getting the biggest pops only for the lead up to be drowned out by whatever garbage Enzo was spewing tonight on commentary. Combined with Booker T's clueless remarks, this was absolutely terrible. Corey and Cole had to literally drag Enzo to focus on the match and shut up his rambling. It also hurt that the camera insisted that whatever Enzo was doing was more important than the fucking match that they have been building for three weeks. Are you fucking serious? This si why I liked the Miz. Miz frequently did commentary and yet never took away from the match. In fact, a lot of times he added input that was insightful and contributed to the psychology of the match or paid notice to it for the viewer and most of the times he was on commentary, it was a match involving one of his rivals. He wasn't obstructive, but he was in-character. It didn't bury the match. God, I wish I was watching the foreign table announcing because that was bullshit.

I actually thought Dean was hurt. Dude sold that injury like a champ. I never really liked Dean, but got to give him kudos for him even making me concerned for him.

Where the hell was Roman? 

Good show overall.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Unless the plan is for Asuka vs. Charlotte, it seems kind of odd to not have Asuka going into WM as champ.

I don't see any reason not to just keep it in Alexa until Mania and Auska. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They could also have a couple celebrity appearances.  Ronda Rousey or Maria from Access Hollywood. 

Maria Menounos is battling brain cancer - she isn't gonna be in this.

Between this and someone thinking a 7 month pregnant Maria Kanellis could be in it - maybe stop suggesting people named Maria

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One thing that was really fucking stupid.  All the women are completely fed up with Absolution.  So they are all brawling and it's this blood feud and shit but then Steph's music hits and they all stop like the fucking high school principal just showed up and threatened suspension.  

Terrible. 

This is far worse (the pic not the post)

Yay!!!! Totally ignore we beat you up a couple of weeks ago Alicia! WINNERS R WE~!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't see any reason not to just keep it in Alexa until Mania and Auska. 

Really? I don't really see Alexa as a good lead for a big Mania match at all. I mean I really see no argument for why Asuka shouldn't kill Alexa dead in under five minutes in actual match. We already saw Alexa going longer with Charlotte, and it looked kind of ridiculous. I'd be surprised if Alexa lasted that long as champ anyways if only because of the recent stuff with Absolution.

See, now, I actually liked Alexa/Charlotte* quite a bit, and Auska isn't nearly so tall as to make holds look kinda absurd like they did in that match.

*I'm also a complete hypocrite, because how ridiculous Almas's offense looked on Drew due to the height difference was one of my biggest problems with that match. But I thought it worked somewhat better for the women. 

Anyway, I like Alexa in-ring, love her on the mic/her character, and I think the belt needs stability and and that saving the big win for Mania makes sense. Absolution will be in the Rumble, and then there's only EC to get through before the build to Mania. Stabilize the belt, give Auska the old school RR - Road to - WrestleMania title win they used to give the new top guy. Done and done.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Additionally, there's this lady who's allegedly been training to debut.   Rhonda something or other...

I’m surprised it took this long to bring her up.  If they’re doing the Horsewomen match at Mania, it seems like a lock she’d be involved, perhaps Bazler too.

I'm so here for the women's Rumble. But I agree that segment was just strange. All of the women are kicking each other's asses and then transition to high fives and hugs once Steph makes the announcement lol Either way, this should be fun and a long time coming. 

Asuka is probably the most clear cut winner especially if Mania is gonna have the Four Horsewomen/Four Horsewomen match. If that's the plan I don't see any reason not to keep the belt on Alexa and have Asuka take it at Mania in a squash. Alexa is a good enough character worker to survive it. Asuka/Sasha is a Mania match but if Sasha is already penciled in for the tag match than Asuka's Mania should be about winning the title.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Maria Menounos is battling brain cancer - she isn't gonna be in this.

Between this and someone thinking a 7 month pregnant Maria Kanellis could be in it - maybe stop suggesting people named Maria

Wait, does she have cancer now? She was diagnosed with having a benign tumor and that was removed around mid year I thought. Did something else happen? Maybe a mixup with her mom having brain cancer?

Okay - just for the sake of clarity since folks have come up with different numbers

Here are the women wrestlers listed on WWE.com as of this morning (alpha by 1st name since that is how they do it)

• Alexa Bliss
  • Alicia Fox
  • Bayley
  • Becky Lynch
  • Brie Bella
  • Carmella
  • Charlotte Flair
  • Dana Brooke
  • Lana
  • Liv Morgan
  • Maria Kanellis
  • Maryse
  • Mickie James
  • Naomi
  • Natalya
  • Nia Jax
  • Nikki Bella
  • Paige
  • Ruby Riott
  • Sarah Logan
  • Sasha Banks
  • Stephanie McMahon
  • Tamina

Eliminate 2 current champs (at the moment Alexa Bliss and Charlotte) and eliminate 2 women who will be in their third trimester when the PPV happens (Maria and Maryse).

That is 19 but that is counting Steph and both Bellas returning. (I am assuming Becky will be back from shooting the movie before Rumble) Realistically you are starting from 17.

13 "surprises" is a fucking lot. 

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wait, does she have cancer now? She was diagnosed with having a benign tumor and that was removed around mid year I thought. Did something else happen? Maybe a mixup with her mom having brain cancer?

We are both sorta correct

I conflated her brain tumor with her mom having cancer.

She had the tumor removed but suffered post surgery issues (she said they are physical side effects)

Either way - there is no way since will be the Rumble