DVDVR Message Board

The LaVar Ball Memorial Off-Court Thread

Dolfan in NYC

You know, with the dumbness that is the Ball family, and with there not seeming to be an thread for off-court issues (like Mark correctly pointed out):

Let's open this up.  

Last week, LaVar Ball announced that BOTH his sons, LiAngelo and LaMelo have signed to play professional basketball for Vytautas Prienai–Birštonas of the Lithuanian pro league. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sorry to break up the Stormfront vibe of this thread but I support Lavar wholeheartedly on the basis of people like this

All those people earning those degrees and parlaying them into...um...uh...

My biggest problem with this type of thinking is that they act like if you don't go to college right now you can't ever go.  My mom is 58 and is working on a 3rd Masters and a PhD.  You can go to college at any time.  There isn't a time limit, and age limit, or any other reason these guys couldn't go to school at any point during or after they play basketball.  That league is clearly for players who will make it to the NBA, and those guys usually don't stay in school long enough to graduate.  If they don't make it, guess what they can go to school like anyone else.  

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

My biggest problem with this type of thinking is that they act like if you don't go to college right now you can't ever go.  My mom is 58 and is working on a 3rd Masters and a PhD.  You can go to college at any time.  There isn't a time limit, and age limit, or any other reason these guys couldn't go to school at any point during or after they play basketball.  That league is clearly for players who will make it to the NBA, and those guys usually don't stay in school long enough to graduate.  If they don't make it, guess what they can go to school like anyone else.  

As someone who struggled for like multiple years to find a job and was a decent enough student, I'm hard pressed to find a place that will pay you 5k a month WITH a college degree that's entry level and with or w/o the connections (maybe a STEM major). If I had a chance to play hoops for a year or two and get paid BEFORE entering the NBA or playing overseas potentially, I'm doing that shit. My mom can't eat a college degree. Sorry guys, I'm going over here to play hoops.

Yeah, a non college option for guys to play that year is a great idea.

I'm not convinced that Ball is the right guy to get people to fund it and watch it (he's pretty stunningly disliked) but I'd like it to succeed because it's a needed thing.

34 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not convinced that Ball is the right guy to get people to fund it and watch it (he's pretty stunningly disliked) but I'd like it to succeed because it's a needed thing.

Bob Arum and Dana White are more universally disliked than LaVar Ball. One has been running an organization since the 70s and the other since 2001. They've also said stuff incredibly more crude and brazen things that will get you fired for any other job. Being disliked ain't stopped their hustle yet. Hell, I would say LaVar is a better business mind than Dana. Dana had to get his billionaire buddies from high school to help him and give him a job.  

Plus, I don't see him running the day-to-day operations anyway. 

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to 2021 Azerbaijani Basketball League MVP, Lonzo Ball.

In reality I think this is LaVar Ball just saying things.  Otherwise he doesn't actually know how the draft or NBA free agency works.

As difficult as it will be for him to do Lonzo has to go to his dad and flat out tell him to knock off his bullshit. If he doesn't there's a very good chance he doesn't have a future in the league because he's nowhere near good enough for teams to be willing to tolerate the nonsense. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Co-Owner of the Sixers Joshua Harris is named in a NY Times article which never says out loud, but strongly implies that Mr. Harris (through his company) gave Jared Kushner's company $184 Million in exchange for a White House job and/or access to the President.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/jared-kushner-apollo-citigroup-loans.html

• 2 weeks later...

Ice Cube fired Roger Mason Jr as commissioner of the Big 3 for allegedly conspiring with Qatari investors to embezzle millions of dollars from the league.  He's been replaced by Clyde Drexler.

Imagine trying to explain that sentence to someone 10 years ago.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Ice Cube fired Roger Mason Jr as commissioner of the Big 3 for allegedly conspiring with Qatari investors to embezzle millions of dollars from the league.  He's been replaced by Clyde Drexler.

Imagine trying to explain that sentence to someone 10 years ago.

Try to explain Ice Cube post 1995 to anyone before 1993.  

• Like 3

Say what you will about LaVar, but his performance of The Bird on Lip Synch Battle was tremendous.

Lonzo had a really good strategy. He performed a Migos track and all you need to do is keep your mouth moving with the tempo of the beat and make big hand gestures since there aren't too many human beings that actually know all of the words to a Migos track