DVDVR Message Board

The LaVar Ball Memorial Off-Court Thread

Dolfan in NYC

From what I understand, it's a junior staffer with the Celtics.

The Reddit fanbase is aghast that it could be a season long suspension, calling it "a season-long suspension for having a work wife" and "I hope they were doing it on company time". It feels like Mad Men level thinking, as they don't see the fucked up power dynamics of such a relationship and the amount of legal liability that could occure..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

From what I understand, it's a junior staffer with the Celtics.

The Reddit fanbase is aghast that it could be a season long suspension, calling it "a season-long suspension for having a work wife" and "I hope they were doing it on company time". It feels like Mad Men level thinking, as they don't see the fucked up power dynamics of such a relationship and the amount of legal liability that could occure..

These are the people who don't have to sit through mandatory training at work

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

This, the Gallo injury, and Robert Williams getting knee surgery gotta knock some of that post-finals shine off for Celtics fans.

Damn, sucks to suck.

Edited by Jiji
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Woj sez it'll be a full season suspension:

This, the Gallo injury, and Robert Williams getting knee surgery gotta knock some of that post-finals shine off for Celtics fans.

It's official.  Udoka has been suspended for the entire season.  

For the record, if Jimmy had hit that three, I'd wager dollars to donuts Udoka would be fired.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

This might be the most WTF suspension ever. A whole year? Why not just fire him? 

I would bet that either a) they are still investigating but the story leaking forced their hand on the suspension or b) it's cheaper for them if they fire him after the season.

And now further reporting is suggesting that maybe everything wasn't quite as consensual as initially reported. The woman reportedly accused him of "unwanted comments."

Celtics did say a decision about his future after this season will be decided later (which likely means either that they are still investigating, they are waiting to see if they perform reasonably similarly without him, or both.)

Given that it's coming from Shams, it's reasonable to assume that this is Udoka/his agent's framing of the story.  If so: Yikes. 

Yikes either way, I guess.  Now I think he'll be gone pretty quickly.

The independent law firm probe into Boston Celtics coach Ime Udoka found that he used crude language in his dialogue with a female subordinate prior to the start of an improper workplace relationship with the woman, an element that significantly factored into the severity of his one-year suspension, sources told ESPN.

Those investigative findings -- which described verbiage on Udoka's part that was deemed especially concerning coming from a workplace superior -- contribute to what is likely a difficult pathway back to his reinstatement as Celtics coach in 2023, sources told ESPN.

The power dynamic associated with a superior's improper relationship with a staff member was the primary finding and policy violation cited in the law firm's report, which was commissioned by the Celtics and completed early last week, sources said.

At a news conference last week, Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck said the suspension -- which extends through June 30, 2023 -- was a product of multiple violations of team policies, and sources told ESPN the Celtics won't stand in Udoka's way should he have the chance to become a coaching candidate elsewhere. There are teams that have tried to gather a preliminary understanding of the full explanation for Udoka's suspension in preparation for possibly evaluating him for future coaching employment, sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34697560/sources-investigation-found-boston-celtics-coach-ime-udoka-used-crude-language-dialogue-female-subordinate-prior-start-improper-relationship

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Britney Griner lost her appeal in a Russian court today.  Her sentence is still 9 years. 

The US government is still trying to work out a prisoner swap for her, but the Russians apparently keep demanding more. 

This is an important lesson in why you don't mortgage your teams future for tinfoil hat Stephon Marbury that absolutely none of the owners will take to heart.

E: Jesus christ, I hadn't seen his press conference from last night when I posted this.  That man's career is cooked.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

E: Jesus christ, I hadn't seen his press conference from last night when I posted this.  That man's career is cooked.

No its not because the Nets are more than willing to keep employing him

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

No its not because the Nets are more than willing to keep employing him

But they weren't willing to extend him, even before this bullshit.  Free agency is going to be very unkind to him.

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

But they weren't willing to extend him, even before this bullshit.  Free agency is going to be very unkind to him.

Lakers might still want him.

Though if they bid against themselves.

Kyrie is from my hometown in North Jersey. I know people who knew him and as his dad when he was growing up. He went to the same public school system I did until it was time for high school.

There are a lot Jewish people in my hometown. I think about 25% of my graduating class was Jewish. A lot of my closest friends from high school are Jewish. Kyrie had Jewish friends growing up. 

A think a lot of people don't know about Kyrie is that he was not some elite level recruit until very much the end of high school. After 8th grade, Kyrie's dad sent him to a tony prep school that's more known for lacrosse (five kids from the Duke lacrosse scandal were alum) than any other sport. My town's high school does not have the best reputation so a lot of people with the means send their kids to private school. Kyrie went there because the school has a good academic reputation and a bunch of his closest friends went there, and I know a few of them are Jewish. Kyrie lit up at that school and ended up doing AAU stuff and transferred to one of the basketball powers (St. Pat's) because his dad realized how good he was and he wasn't going to get big level looks at his first high school. 

Also, Kyrie still is around our hometown a good amount. I think he might live there. He's at his old middle school a good amount. He had his signing with the Nets ceremony in the middle school gym. He's at a lot of school plays and things like that. He's friends with the principal (one of his old teachers) and a few other old teachers. Things may have changed the past few years but that was the case for a really long time. And that school has a lot of Jewish kids. 

Like... this stuff with him is so friggin' dumb. I have no idea if he's mentally ill or just trying to shock people or what. But the latest stuff is absolutely grotesque because I know his background a little bit. He absolutely should know better.