DVDVR Message Board

The LaVar Ball Memorial Off-Court Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not sure what it is with NBA players and Circuit City

because I remember Delonte West applied to work there during the last lockout before he started delivering appliances and pouring concrete for his uncle.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read:

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, Zimbra said:

Christ, what an asshole.

I agree, but I'll take Wiggins more or less quietly deciding to not get vaccinated vs. Kyrie Irving periodically appearing on my media outlet of choice after creating a commotion then going to media to remind us that he doesn't want to create a commotion and, oh, by the way, he has lots of issues that more important to him than basketball.  Y'know what, Kyrie, most of us have issues that are near and dear to us, but somehow we manage to get through the workday without telling our bosses and co-workers how little the job matters.  The vaccination thing is ridiculous.  If he genuinely isn't planning to get vaccinated, then the logical thing to do seems to be to admit he can't do his job, recognize that he will be a constant distraction, and move on.  Or at least return half hid salary since he seems destined to play 41 games or less.

I used to be a bit of a fan, but his current heel character has worn out its welcome.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few dozen anti-vaccine protesters were outside Barclays during the Nets-Hornets game today. They were there chanting, "Let Kyrie play."  They apparently broke through the enclosure the police set up for them and stormed the front gates of the arena.  They did not make it in, but did cause a lockdown of the arena.

I will bet you $10,000 that not a single one of those protesters could pick out Kyrie out of a lineup. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/25/2019 at 12:52 PM, Zimbra said:

Former NBA player Lorenzen Wright's ex-wife, Sherra Wright, pled guilty to his murder today in Memphis and was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

What a terrible, sad story.

Pulling this back up because another conviction in the case has happened, finally. Billy Ray Turner was found guilty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33565942/jury-convicts-billy-ray-turner-slaying-former-nba-player-lorenzen-wright%3fplatform=amp

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 12:58 PM, Tabe said:

TIL I learned former Pistons guard is worth $400m as the owner of a billion dollar auto parts company. He's also involved in a lawsuit because his company lost designation as a "minority" company, which could cost them billions. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/nba-star-risks-billions-for-failing-to-diversify-executive-ranks/ar-AALwTnM?li=BBnb7Kz

BTW, this apparently got moved forward last month with them keeping their minority certification at least for now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/9379414002

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Former Michigan State standout and 1st round pick for Atlanta Adreian Payne was killed in a shooting last night.  

He was 31. 

Payne is perhaps best remembered for developing a close friendship with 8-year old Lacey Holsworth, a cancer patient, when MSU was visiting a children's hospital in Lansing.  Lacey passed away in 2014, not long after helping cut down the nets after MSU won the B1G title.  Payne dealt with a lot of tragedy in his life - his mom died in his arms from asthma as he searched for her inhaler, his grandmother later died from similar causes.  

Payne's killer stayed at the scene and has been arrested and charged with 1st degree murder.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/adreian-payne-former-msu-standout-and-hawks-1st-round-pick-dies-at-31-after-shooting/ar-AAX51c2?li=BBnb7Kz

Ashley Bachelor, the mother of Rajon Rondo's children, has filed for an emergency protection order against him. He allegedly trashed her house and then left to get a gun, returning to threaten to kill her. Ugly, ugly stuff. 

https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/16/rajon-rondo-allegedly-pulled-gun-wife-children-emergency-protective-order-death-threat/

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte Hornets forward Montrezl Harrell is facing a felony drug charge after authorities said they found vacuum-sealed bags of marijuana in his car during a traffic stop.

Harrell, 28, was pulled over in Richmond, Kentucky, by a state trooper May 12 for driving behind a vehicle too closely, news outlets reported Monday, citing court records. The trooper said he smelled marijuana and, after a search, discovered three pounds of marijuana in vacuum-sealed bags inside a backpack in the backseat.

Harrell has been charged with trafficking less than five pounds of marijuana. If convicted on that count, he could face up to five years in prison. He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on July 13 in Madison County District Court.

• Sad 1

What the hell was Harrell doing in Richmond, KY?

Harrell once ruined an easy-money extra day of work for me.  My tv station asked if I'd want to go shoot the Louisville/Western KY game on a Saturday afternoon in Bowling Green.  Sure.  It's about a two hour drive, so I'm getting paid for four hours in the car and the rest is shooting a basketball game that'll probably be a blowout.  No problem.  Except, Harrell decided to punch a dude in the first half.  And, I had the best shot of it out of all the media there.  I had got to the game a little late and had to sit on the opposite end of most of the tv cameras.  When he punched the guy, it was directly in front of me and his back was to the rest of the cameras.  My station called me freaking out wanting the footage immediately and I had to scramble to get it to them.  So much for my easy day.

Anyway, marijuana arrests are bullshit.  I hope this doesn't fuck him too bad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Miles Bridges has been arrested for felony domestic violence for beating up his wife, Mychelle Johnson. She put some pretty damning photos on her Instagram along with a video of her young son talking about her being attacked. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10040473-hornets-miles-bridges-arrested-on-felony-domestic-violence-charge.amp.html