DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 1/18/18 & Genesis 1/25/18

This is still from the last set of tapings, just separating this to its own topic since they taped enough to stretch out over one more week than it originally looked like.

EDIT: actually stretched to two more weeks so just gonna put them both here.

Impact Wrestling:- Airing January 18, 2018 from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

*Taiji Ishimori(c) def. Dezmond Xavier to retain the X Division Championship

*Kongo Kong (w/ Jimmy Jacobs) def. Chandler Park (w/ Joseph Park) after a powerslam. After the match, Kongo hits the top rope splash on Chandler.

*(Aired from Border City Wrestling in Detroit): Eli Drake vs. Johnny Impact vs. Alberto el Patron went to a no contest when they beat up the refs and the match was thrown out.

*Rosemary def. KC Spinelli. After the match, Hania the Howling Huntress debuted and took out Rosemary.

*The Latin American Xchange (Ortiz, Santana, & Homicide w/ Konnan) def. oVe (Dave Crist, Jake Crist, & Sami Callihan) in a Barbed Wire Massacre when Santana pinned Jake after a superplex off a ladder through a table with barbed wire on it.

Impact Wrestling: Genesis - Airing January 25, 2018 from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

*Matt Sydal def. Ethan Carter III(c) to win the Impact Grand Championship

*Laurel Van Ness(c) def. Allie to retain the knockouts championship.

*Moose def. Lashley after failed interference from American Top Team. After the match, Lashley turns on ATT and spears Dan Lambert through a table.

*(Aired joined in progress from Pro Wrestling NOAH in Japan): Taiji Ishimori(c) def. Andrew Everett to retain the X Division Championship

*Eli Drake(c) (w/ Chris Adonis) def. Johnny Impact & Alberto el Patron in a Steel Cage match to retain the Global Heavyweight Championship via escape. Johnny looked to escape as well but Adonis caught him, allowing Eli to escape first and retain.

Ishimori/Dezmond was an awesome match. Dezmond's best showing yet I thought, the crowd dive was insane. Barbed Wire Massacre was a pretty fun spectacle and a great way to end the feud. Rosemary/KC was shorter than hoped but still decent. I hope they go back and sign KC, she shined huge every week she was on. So much filler elsewhere, but some of the feud videos were really well done at making next week's show feel like a big event at least.

It wasn't on the show but I thought this would be the best place to write this.

I watched Barbed Wire Massacre 3 on Twitch. I think this is the first time since they left Spike, that I have watched contemporary TNA. I might have watched an Impact when they first went to Destination American,but it's been 3 years at least.

It's very unTNA to have only done 3 Barbed Wire Massacres in a 12 year span, I'd of thought they'd be on their 25th by now.

This match was shown on the internet I would have liked if they didn't censor they middle fingers or the time Homicide yelled "fuck you" defiantly at Sami Callihan. 

I liked that both teams wore Bunkhouse Brawl gear for this match. This is the kind of wild match stip that you wear jeans, T shirts and cowboy boots. Also speaking of gear I'd wear a Wu-Tang Style Homicide shirt.

There was some crazy spots, and a lot of use of the barbed wire and other weaponry. The unprotected chair shots were vicious, a tad foolish but vicious. It was violent but obscure cable wrestling violent. I was expecting a lot of barbed wire spots and a tons of blood, being pulled from TV and all. I thought there was gonna be a ton of blood or someone tangled up like ridiculous but there was nothing in this match that you couldn't have shown on TV.  

• Like 2

If you just live in the TNA bubble that was a very vicious and brutal match but given that we have to wait 2 months for this damn thing almost it was just okay.   It also doesn't help the Twitch channel showed the first 2 barbed wired massacre matches which while not flashy in moves was pretty damn bloody.    I am sorry but you don't wear a white outfit without trying to get some blood on it.  That is hardcore wrestling 101 right there   and as someone who has dealt with Masada using skewers in CZW for about 5 years that spot on the top of the dollar while gruesome for Orlando fans isn't much to me.   

I did think Homicide put on his best performance in many years in that match.  

• Like 1

Solid all action episode tonight with big time matches getting a good amount of time. Sydal/EC3 was good stuff. Lashley's still the man, dug the match with Moose and post-match. Laurel's stuff lately has been her best to date. Only wish we got more of Ishimori/Everett as what was shown looked great after last week's classic with Dezmond. Good to finally see Everett again. Fun cage match main event. I've loved the Eli/Johnny/Alberto saga and all of Eli's title reign, him and Adonis remain a great act.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I was flipping through Pluto as I do on occasion and The Lashley-Moose match was just starting. I dug this match a lot. It was slow to start but picked up. As I was watching this I was thinking for two guys not known for their technical prowess or for being ring generals they really had a hell of a match. They turned Lashley face in this as he was bickering with Dan Lambert and KM over not wanting to cheat during the match. I guess they wanted to make Lashley a face right before he left for the WWE. It only makes sense, part of the reason why Lashley was resigned (same with McIntyre) was his work on Impact. There was a ladder visible in the background when they were brawling on the outside I couldn’t help to notice it, never fails you can dress TNA up under a new name but it’s still gonna TNA.  Moose’s Powerbomb counter with Lashley mid air was sick as fuck. Moose picks up the win. Using Lashley’s bickering to his advantage. Dan Lambert took a spear through a table after that match. It looked gnarly.

Lashley vs Moose wasn’t they main event was it? Cuz Pluto went to a break after the match Aired the Steiner Math Promo then Slammiversary 2011 aired. 

Ended up watching Slammiversary as I had never seen this show before. I wasn’t watching TNA in 2011. I also wrote up I review on it as DreamBroken is the only one who seems to read these and I don’t think he’d give a shit.

Impact posted this in full on their YouTube page 9 years ago so if anybody wants to watch it who hasn’t who wants to rewatch it here it is:

TNA World Tag Team Champions Gun Money (James Storm and Alex Shelley)Vs British Invasion (Douglas Williams and Magnus) - Solid opener. Big tag match fan and this was a perfect tag match. Crowd was into this match. The Impact Zone gets a bum rap for being dead abs they could be dead sometimes but they got excited for the shot they liked and they liked this shit. Storm and Shelley make a really good team. They win with a smooth ass double move and retained the tag titles Roode was in a sling on commentary great on commentary invested in match. This lead to Roode turning on Storm later in the year? It would make alot of sense James did have a lot of Chemistry with Bobby Roodes replacement Alex Shelley. I could see how it could lead to Jealousy on Rooses Part.

Scott Steiner Vs Matt Morgan - Crazy Steiner promo. Christy Hemme announces Steiner as a graduate of The University of Michigan in Detroit. UM is in Ann Arbor. Tenay and Taz have fun with that. Pretty by the numbers Steiner, he yells at the ref, throws some suplexes, chokes Morgan on the middle rope. Steiner was on offense a lot. Crowd was pro Morgan. Morgan starts hitting offense Crowd likes that. Parts of match I thought dragged but Morgan Electric Chair Steiner rolls into pin that was cool looking. Morgan wins with the Carbon Footprint.  

TNA X Division Champion Abyss Vs Brian Kendrick Vs Kazarian - Oh good Bischoff and Hogan wanna destroy the X Division. So Abyss Is X Division Champion. I think cuz the idea is no d of the smaller guys could beat the much larger Abyss. Abyss is calling it his Extreme Championship so I expect this to get “Extreme”. Kazarian had hair down to his shoulders. Abyss enters to a bootleg Outshined. I liked how the match is laid out, some of the execution not so much. Kaz fares well against Abyss with fast paced offense, then it’s Kendrick’s turn then they team up and get the better of Abyss for awhile then Abyss takes over and the match starts to drag. Kendrick starts to get the offense edge over Abyss but ultimately eats a choke slam. Kaz hits Movez on Abyss. We get a double team again. Double pin. Abyss kicks out. Abyss takes a powder. Kaz and Brian have a mini match against each fun while lasted. Abyss snatched Kendrick out of the ring. Pins Kaz. Match was not extreme why add that sound bite if the match was not going to be extreme in the least bit?

Crimson vs Samoa Joe - Crimson runs into the ring and they start beating the shit out of each other as the crowd chants “Joe is gonna kill you”. Joe slows it down and starts working on the knee of crimson. Crimson in the midst of an undefeated streak and Joe is known for having The TNA Winning Streak so I think that’s why they are fighting each other. Like I said after that I risk explosion in the first minute or so Joe slows it down way down. He continues to work over the Knee. There’s one guy audible who keeps chanting Joe is gonna kill you. Crimson hits a spear on Joe there’s an audible boo from the crowd. Joe was in control most the match but Crimson fought back hit a sit out power bomb and got the 3. After the match Joe and Crimson shake hands. With how this all ends a year from now what was the point of the Crimson streak ending the way it ended? What where they possibly building him towards?

Mickie James Vs Angelina Love - Ok I got a few questions about that promo between JB Winter and Angelina? What is the first question, the second am I the only one who got weird vibes from this? There were overtones of a sexual relationship or hopes of one atleast from Winter between the two? Abs what was with that catatonic stance from Anegelina then she just snapped out of it at the end?  Match starts off slow Angelina is wrestling pretty methodically but Wimter is helping her keep the advantage. Mickie is pretty much fighting 1 on 2. Mickie makes her comeback Angelina gets her leg on the rope with help from Winter. The Angelina-Wintee angle is the story of the match. It’s the bulk of it. Mickie had DDT set up Winter tries to get in knocks her off the ring apron Northern Lights Botched Jumping DDT still gets Mickie the 3. After the match Winter whips And chocked Mickie with the belt from around her waist. Shortest match on the card. Morgan Vs Ateiner was longer. Match underdelivered and it was the Winter-Angelina angle. 

Bully Ray Vs AJ Styles - I really liked Bully’s promo before the match. He’s intense and he’s ready to kick AJ’s ass, for whom Bully claims isn’t a man. There is also a video package explaining this feud. Bully sent AJ through a table ala Mea Young, AJ left on a stretcher, returned at Lockdown and this is the big blow off I think. I liked this. It was fucking wild. This is a Last Man Standing Match. First one to get up before the count of ten wins. They beat each other up. They bled buckets. Bully Ray got mileage out of those steel steps. AJ did a running dive off the ramp onto Bully the floor. AJ Styles is crazy as hell he had some height up on that scaffolding when he elbow dropped Bully threw a table. I didn’t like the finish with Bully tossing AJ through the staging. I think AJ should have won this. Hindsight’s 20/20 but after the poorly booked 2010 AJ endured a win over the guy that sent him to the hospital and calling him a pussy essentially would had help getting some of that stink off him. 

TNA World Heavyweight Champion Sting Vs Mr Anderson - Why was Anderson being a Jerk to JB? I love the microphone gimmick. I don’t know if I line chip on his shoulder Ken Anderson but idk it’s what got him over in TNA right? I didn’t really watch TNA at this time. Joker Sting sneaks up from behind and this starts on the stage. Sting has some sick ass gear on red singlet black scorpions. They brawl in the crowd. The crowd is excited for this. Was 2012 Sting Joker Sting or was that over by that point or had it transformed into another Sting? I ask cuz if he wasn’t Joker Sting then this is my first time seeing Joker Sting and I like it. Sting seems revitalized rejuvenated. Once the match settles down and gets into the ring it is a pretty decent wrestling match. Then Bischoff comes out cuz he doesn’t want Sting to be Champion or something. We went this long without Bischoff tonight. Anderson wins after a clear low blow in front of the ref followed by the DDT. He’s new champ. I liked this until Bischoff came out. 

Jeff Jarrett Vs Kurt Angle - Winner becomes Number One Contender for the World Title and you get Kurt Angles Gold Medals! This match was Built up the entire show. After the first match they show footage from earlier in the day of Angle and Jarrett entering Impact Zone both  looking focused and determined. After the Jeff Jarrett cuts impassioned promo backstage with JB about taking everything from Kurt and the last thing he has to take is Kurt’s Medals. Karen fuels the flames via satellite. Big fight feel for this match, JB did boxing style intros. And it should have been given such great importance this is a big feud in TNA’s history shit Slammiversary is the second biggest show in TNA. Leave it to TNA to have their SummerSlam before their Wrestlemania in the calendar year. But I digress this is a personal feud that spilled off into real life with Karen divorcing Kurt and marrying Jeff. The dude had been going on since Bound For Glory the following year that’s an entity in TNA time. Slow and methodical start but Jarrett is a slow and methodical wrestler. Once Angle warms up match gets good. He can’t keep Jarrett in an ankle lock Jeff rolls through. He rolled through leading Kurt to shoulder tackles the ref leading to a Jeff hitting a low blow and a guitar shot. Kurt kicks out there’s some hope left in humanity. Jarrett yells out what the fuck. Crowd loves when Angle is in offensive control. Jeff gets in the ankle lock as the crowd chants for angle. Kurt counters out and gets in an ankle lock of his own wrapping Jeff’s leg up and Jarrett Taps. Kurt Wins and is Number One Contender and keeps his medals!

This wasn’t a bad wrestling show.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I was flipping through Pluto as I do on occasion and The Lashley-Moose match was just starting. I dug this match a lot. It was slow to start but picked up. As I was watching this I was thinking for two guys not known for their technical prowess or for being ring generals they really had a hell of a match. They turned Lashley face in this as he was bickering with Dan Lambert and KM over not wanting to cheat during the match. I guess they wanted to make Lashley a face right before he left for the WWE. It only makes sense, part of the reason why Lashley was resigned (same with McIntyre) was his work on Impact. There was a ladder visible in the background when they were brawling on the outside I couldn’t help to notice it, never fails you can dress TNA up under a new name but it’s still gonna TNA.  Moose’s Powerbomb counter with Lashley mid air was sick as fuck. Moose picks up the win. Using Lashley’s bickering to his advantage. Dan Lambert took a spear through a table after that match. It looked gnarly.

Lashley vs Moose wasn’t they main event was it? Cuz Pluto went to a break after the match Aired the Steiner Math Promo then Slammiversary 2011 aired. 

It was not the, the main event was Eli Drake v. Johnny Impact v. Alberto in a steel cage.  

I believe the ladder was there because it was taped the same night as the LAX/oVe barbed wire massacre 

3 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

It was not the, the main event was Eli Drake v. Johnny Impact v. Alberto in a steel cage.  

I believe the ladder was there because it was taped the same night as the LAX/oVe barbed wire massacre 

Now I feel bad for teasing them.

• Haha 1