DVDVR Message Board

Disney buys Fox confirmed.

The Natural

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

WWE being the only major player in town helped tremendously. 

ROH, NWA, LU, and New Japan wouldn't be upping their game to compete for audience share  if the WWE juggernaut weren't around to provide a sterling example of what not to do.

I don't agree with this at all.   Do you remember the early 2000s? It was a dark age.  ROH was spectacular but you had to buy the DVDs or take the 8 hours to download a single match.  None of this stuff was easy accessible and only New Japan can really maintain a certain level of success.   

Ring of Honor has been gutted several times.  They used to get by on developing new talent and booking.  This is no longer the case. The well is dry and you can't actually watch ROH in most markets. You have to pay for their service.  Lucha Underground is not going to be around long.  They don't make money.  I'm not sure what you mean by NWA. 

The point is Disney now controls even more of the movie market and that is going to stump creativity. There's no way for it not to stump creativity because the decisions to green light projects are now being handled by FEWER PEOPLE. 

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Honest question: why was ABC paying to air something that Fox made like This is Us?

There are always exceptions to any rule, but most of any network's slate these days is made up of shows they own.  I think I saw today where, of the 20-22 scripted shows Fox is airing this year, 18 of them came from Fox's studios.  They can carry a few shows they're taking a loss on if they see some other value in it, but they're not going to take it on the chin paying for 20 shows that cratering ad rates won't pay for.

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't agree with this at all.   Do you remember the early 2000s? It was a dark age.  ROH was spectacular but you had to buy the DVDs or take the 8 hours to download a single match.  None of this stuff was easy accessible and only New Japan can really maintain a certain level of success.   

Ring of Honor has been gutted several times.  They used to get by on developing new talent and booking.  This is no longer the case. The well is dry and you can't actually watch ROH in most markets. You have to pay for their service.  Lucha Underground is not going to be around long.  They don't make money.  I'm not sure what you mean by NWA. 

The point is Disney now controls even more of the movie market and that is going to stump creativity. There's no way for it not to stump creativity because the decisions to green light projects are now being handled by FEWER PEOPLE. 

I get what you're saying here but in the early 2000s, you couldn't watch CWF Mid Atlantic on youtube. CMLL wasn't streaming three live shows from Mexico A WEEK. There's that whole NJPW service. Etc. 

54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Marvel fans will applaud this because they really want all of the licenses under one umbrella and they only trust Disney to do the material justice.  That part is pretty good news.

Which is idiotic because Deadpool and Logan would have not been green lit by Disney.  And a few of the other X-Men movies were pretty darn good.  You can even look at Spider-Man over at SONY.  Spider-Man Homecoming was cool but was it better than Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2?  I don't think so.  It was better than the previous two from the rebooted series but that wasn't hard to accomplish.  

Marvel Studios has way more hits than misses but they've also produced some pretty generic shit too.  

• Like 1

Yeah, but none of that has anything to do with a WWE monopoly being good for wrestling.  The indie/foreign/retro explosion going on right now is happening because of advancements in technology, specifically streaming video making it easier than ever for these companies to reach audiences.  I'm pretty sure WWE didn't invent Youtube.

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Which is idiotic because Deadpool and Logan would have not been green lit by Disney. 

You make it sound like there is no such thing as Touchstone Pictures that could handle the not so family friendly distribution stuff for Marvel.

You also make it sound like Disney does not like to make money.

Just now, EVA said:

Yeah, but none of that has anything to do with a WWE monopoly being good for wrestling.  The indie/foreign/retro explosion going on right now is happening because of advancements in technology, specifically streaming video making it easier than ever for these companies to reach audiences.  I'm pretty sure WWE didn't invent Youtube.

Things are certainly better now than they were in 1999. That technology isn't going away. It applies to other media was well. Good products can reach people more easily now, even without major distribution houses?

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

WWE Monopoly is good for wrestling because it forced everyone who was tired of their product to get off of our asses and seek out other shit.

Technology helped facilitate this.  We're not sitting by the mailbox waiting for the monthly care package of duped tapes anymore. 

ROH and NJPW wouldn't be on US television if someone didn't take notice and try to cash in on the new wrestling boom and still be cost effective.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I get what you're saying here but in the early 2000s, you couldn't watch CWF Mid Atlantic on youtube. CMLL wasn't streaming three live shows from Mexico A WEEK. There's that whole NJPW service. Etc. 

One major thing that I hate about what's happening though is that WWE is wasting talent. Not in the traditional "why aren't they pushing this guy?"  I mean they are literally wasting people like a Gran Metalik or even guys like Cedric and Gallagher who I'd much rather see go be a big fish in a small pond somewhere..    I'm veering off topic but I think this kind of thing is going to happen with Disney too.  What becomes of Alien, Planet of the Apes,  the smaller studios and smaller budget projects that might have seen the light of day over at FOX?  I think there's absolutely going to be fewer movies produced. 

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

The regional sports networks have the rights to show a combined 44 sports team across the NBA, MLB and NHL. So they get to dip into that. The theory I've read is that it bolsters their eventual launch of ESPN Plus. I've read some other ideas but nothing that shows hard numbers that make it a worthwhile decision.

This is a huge win for ESPN. Live sports streaming is the key next step for a bunch of these companies and ESPN needs to build their lead up as much as possible before Netflix, Facebook and Amazon are competing for NFL rights and shit like that.

As a cord cutter and big time sports guy, it's a huge win for me as well. Sign me up for an ESPN standalone service showing multiple NBA games every night.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You make it sound like there is no such thing as Touchstone Pictures that could handle the not so family friendly distribution stuff for Marvel.

You also make it sound like Disney does not like to make money.

They like to make money but they don't like to take a lot of risks with these properties. I do not for one second believe Disney was ever going to put Deadpool/Logan type superhero movies out.  Instead we would have gotten some PG-13 produced for mass consumption crap that would probably have made the same amount of money but only because it's the only game in town.  

A restaurant can fuck up a steak and you go to another restaurant who won't fuck up your steak.  But if you live in a town where there's one restaurant maybe that shit steak starts to look a little better. 

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I do not for one second believe Disney was ever going to put Deadpool/Logan type superhero movies out. 

This explains the existence of The Punisher and Runaways how? 

Someone at Disney / Marvel thought it was a good idea to allow Netflix and Hulu to run with those shows and they are both far from being kid friendly.

It might've taken longer than it should have, but Logan and Deadpool would've eventually seen the light of day as soon as Disney figured out how much revenue those projects would bring in.... and they'd both be released as Marvel / Touchstone Pictures movies.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Things are certainly better now than they were in 1999. That technology isn't going away. It applies to other media was well. Good products can reach people more easily now, even without major distribution houses?

I get what you are saying here and I agree with some of it but WWE is still wasting talented performers who could have flourished elsewhere and I don't know who is going to be distributing and financing these smaller or even mid-budget films that FOX was producing.  Disney and Iger are saying all the right things now but we'll see if it actually happens. It's going to come to a point where Disney is wasting IPs.  

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

I get what you are saying here and I agree with some of it but WWE is still wasting talented performers who could have flourished elsewhere and I don't know who is going to be distributing and financing these smaller or even mid-budget films that FOX was producing.  Disney and Iger are saying all the right things now but we'll see if it actually happens. It's going to come to a point where Disney is wasting IPs.  

Were they wasting people in 1999 too though? Were they hiring people just to make sure WCW didn't? We lost years out of a guy like TAKA's career to 3 minute TV matches. Etc.

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Were they wasting people in 1999 too though? Were they hiring people just to make sure WCW didn't? We lost years out of a guy like TAKA's career to 3 minute TV matches. Etc.

Absolutely dudes were being wasted but I think it's at an all-time high.  If they had created separate brands and actually tried to see through that all of these different shows were successful and treated as equals,  that'd be one thing but it never happens.  And they don't need to do better because they're still the only game in town despite the advancements in technology... with this net neutrality deal looming,  I'm not sure how much longer we have before YouTube is a paid service.  Once that happens, goodbye to the days where we can seek out indy wrestling content and watch it with the click of a mouse. 

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

RE: the sports networks

You would think getting YES Network would be a big enough get but Disney gets YES AND FOX Sports West

As most of us are trying to point out, the really scary aspects of this deal have zero to do with superhero movies.

• Like 1