DVDVR Message Board

Disney buys Fox confirmed.

The Natural

Honestly though? Outside of having all the Marvel shit under one banner again (outside Sony's Spidey B stuff) what opiates? They'll end up pumping out less films or less inventive ones. Disney would never have dropped Logan or Deadpool. They're way too risk averse for that. Inevitably we're going to get more and more franchises feeling like the MCU/new Star Wars/etc. tired ass Disney blockbuster formula and it's going to suck.

• Like 3

Is Disney likely to keep Searchlight running? Because I highly doubt Universal will, given they their own faux indie. So I guess if the advert is yes, that's an edge for Disney winning.

That ended.   There was a time where it was likely Disney would continue with that model but not now.   It sucks that Deadpool and Logan type stuff will probably die out but they'll do a good job with X-Men and probably a great job with Fantastic Four so it's maybe an even trade off?  

there's going to be less jobs and less movies and less risk taking no matter who wins between Disney and Comcast.    FOX going away is bad for movies, period.  

Also,  nothing is ever a slam dunk.   As good as Disney has done with Marvel,    Star Wars on the other hand is a complete fucking train wreck. 

• Like 2

I mean, yeah. But I honestly think the creative thing matters too. The fewer studios there are, the less inclination for any studio to do anything daring or challenging and as a society we get a lot of societal values enforced/reinforced through the media we consume. The ability to shape the narratives we consume comes with the power to shape our view of the world to some degree or another. I'm not thrilled about the notion of that being monopolized.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

The ability to shape the narratives we consume comes with the power to shape our view of the world to some degree or another. I'm not thrilled about the notion of that being monopolized.

A good example with Disney:  In the early 90's, a beginning-to-reemerge Disney released NEWSIES, a film about street kids taking on the most powerful man in NYC and winning. My brother has often described the film as "punk as fuck". 

20 years later, Disney rules the world. They adapt NEWSIES for broadway. Consider a few changes:

1. Denton the rebel reporter is now a woman. (okay, not enough female characters, so that's not bad) But she is now the daughter of Pulitzer, who she doesn't hate but just wants to prove she can make it on her own. It becomes daddy issues, not politics or oppressive corporations.

2. The girl and her fellow newspaper heirs help the guys print their paper at the end, because poor kids need power and money to condescend to them. 

3. The union "wins" by compromising with Pulitzer, not beating him. They've been changed from the radicals of the film to simply unhappy employees. 

4. Jack, who has been given the character trait of artist for the play, at the end gets offered a job drawing political cartoons for Pulitzer. The daughter basically tells him that he's an idiot if he doesn't take the job, and the implication is that he does. 

5. The stuff about the corrupt political system that puts kids into "The Refuge" has been downplayed, so that now it's just a corrupt warden operating on his own.

The difference in tone is subtle. But it's definitely there. And if you don't know the source material, you don't know what you're missing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Point taken, and I agree. 

BTW, I agree about the trust laws issue being more important. Consumers always lose when economic power becomes consolidated. See cable TV, ISPs, and radio for some really obvious examples. We come ever closer to a kind of Company Store model, only instead of just for Ford or GE employees, it's for the whole world. 

And it of course allows for a more lazy art, as well as opening up for the kind of propaganda issues I mentioned. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/19/media/comcast-fox-disney/index.html
Done deal.

Should be noted there will be two Foxs. The deal lets Disney have the properties of Fox and their studios and the FX channels. Disney will now control 40 percent of the box office. 

The rest of the channels and the old Loft will be part of new Fox, seperate from Disney Fox. Which Smackdown will be on. 

Disney will now control 40 percent of the box office. 

Oh this won't have any consequences. Don't worry. Shut up. Here's a sparkly thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I think it's terrible for movie fans such as myself who would prefer to have more options. Sure maybe they will still make the same types of movies FOX was making but it all goes through Disney which is scary,  fewer minds making more decisions is not a good thing. 

• Like 2

Things European people don't understand about America part 238: Why American web service providers have a series of local monopolies instead of competing with each other. The whole argument for the benefits of capitalism is that having market rivalry forces companies to undercut one another, and thus give customers a better deal. If they refuse to do that and instead operate under a cartel system, surely a responsible government should punish them by introducing a maximum pricing policy or something similar?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Things European people don't understand about America part 238: Why American web service providers have a series of local monopolies instead of competing with each other. The whole argument for the benefits of capitalism is that having market rivalry forces companies to undercut one another, and thus give customers a better deal. If they refuse to do that and instead operate under a cartel system, surely a responsible government should punish them by introducing a maximum pricing policy or something similar?

Because the local governments were fucking dumb and because providers laid out their own money to create the infrastructure, they local govt's signed over all the rights to that company and prevented other companies to come in and build new shit, thus allowing those providers to keep out competition so they can control service in perpetuity.  Crony capitalism at it's finest.

But this doesn't really pertain to Disney and FOX, as neither own any service providers.  Universal on the other hand....

Edited by Raziel

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2