DVDVR Message Board

Disney buys Fox confirmed.

The Natural

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

In that case, it would be kill competition and deeply strengthen their own library. Plus, outside the Cloud Services, Amazon runs on a similar business model anyway.

Yeah, killing the competition/building their library is exactly why they would do it.  I could also see AmazonFlix boxes becoming a thing in Whole Foods/Amazon Locker locations, taking a bite out of Redbox.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, JonnyLaw said:

I feel like the end game for Netflix is going to be Amazon buying them in a year or two.

And given the whatevs attitude that regulators are taking towards mergers and net neutrality, Netflix's best strategy it to make itself as desirable and buyable as possible. 

If you're going to be put out of business anyway, get yourself bought out.  Don't get pushed into bankruptcy trying in vain to compete.

Or as my homie, Blade, put it:

• 4 months later...

So allegedly Comcast is suddenly making a $60 billion dollar "all cash" offer to try and essentially steal Fox from Disney, but only if the AT&T Time Warner purchase goes through.

So yeah

On 1/2/2018 at 11:31 AM, J.T. said:

And given the whatevs attitude that regulators are taking towards mergers and net neutrality, Netflix's best strategy it to make itself as desirable and buyable as possible. 

If you're going to be put out of business anyway, get yourself bought out.  Don't get pushed into bankruptcy trying in vain to compete.

Or as my homie, Blade, put it:

I think any sort of mergers involving Amazon are going to face opposition from Dear Leader. 

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know I think Comcast is richer. 

With how much they charge fools like me for cable I can definitely see them somehow being richer than Disney.  Those greedy-ass motherfuckers dare added another $20-$30 to my bill (going to be an interesting phone call when I call to bitch about it)

Both companies are greedy and I'm not a fan of monopolizing other companies.  But if this is going to happen then I'd rather Disney buy Fox.  At least they can hopefully make good use of the once-untouchable Marvel stuff like X Men.

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Both companies are greedy and I'm not a fan of monopolizing other companies.  But if this is going to happen then I'd rather Disney buy Fox.  At least they can hopefully make good use of the once-untouchable Marvel stuff like X Men.

This is my #1 reason I want Disney to buy Fox.  My #2 reason is that I hate Comcast, and I hope they burn in hell as a staff, a company, and a motherfucking crew.

• Like 6

I was having a conversation with my mom about how shitty Verizon's customer service is, and how we hated dealing with them.  I then went on to tell her about how I'd deal with them way before Comcast, because they made me sign up for a bundle package despite not having cable or a home telephone.  It was legitimately impossible for me to sign up for internet without signing up for all three services, and there were no other high speed internet providers for that building.  Then when that promotion was over, they started charging me for the cable and telephone (like $250 extra), despite me telling them repeatedly that I don't need either.  They did this 4 months in a row before they actually corrected the issue in their system.  She then started telling me about Sprint, and how at one point pre-internet, they would deliberately stop sending bills in the mail.  So she called them because they started charging her all types of fees(they charged her late fees, cut off her phone and charged a deactivation fee, and then a reactivation fee > $1000) and the woman on the phone told her, "You knew you had an account, you should have paid it."  This is pre-internet, so there is no way to see your balance, schedule a payment, or do anything else unless you drive to one of their stores.  So we deal with Verizon, because they suck ass, but at least they haven't tried to charge us hundreds of extra dollars just to gouge us.

35 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I was having a conversation with my mom about how shitty Verizon's customer service is, and how we hated dealing with them.  I then went on to tell her about how I'd deal with them way before Comcast, because they made me sign up for a bundle package despite not having cable or a home telephone.  It was legitimately impossible for me to sign up for internet without signing up for all three services, and there were no other high speed internet providers for that building.  Then when that promotion was over, they started charging me for the cable and telephone (like $250 extra), despite me telling them repeatedly that I don't need either.  They did this 4 months in a row before they actually corrected the issue in their system.  She then started telling me about Sprint, and how at one point pre-internet, they would deliberately stop sending bills in the mail.  So she called them because they started charging her all types of fees(they charged her late fees, cut off her phone and charged a deactivation fee, and then a reactivation fee > $1000) and the woman on the phone told her, "You knew you had an account, you should have paid it."  This is pre-internet, so there is no way to see your balance, schedule a payment, or do anything else unless you drive to one of their stores.  So we deal with Verizon, because they suck ass, but at least they haven't tried to charge us hundreds of extra dollars just to gouge us.

I like that I've lived in places where the population is < 100,000  so the cable/phone/internet have been limited. If you want options besides the local yokels, I suggest you not move to Vicksburg, MS (if you lived in the apartment complex I was at, DISH and DirecTV is off the table). I was on the Sprint family plan for awhile (a nightmare because my siblings never had their portion of the bill on time) before I switched to Verizon and now I got U-Verse for internet/cable. I've haven't had issues with either outside of going over my allotted data w/ Verizon, but that got hammered out pretty quickly. I got behind on my U-Verse bill like one time and it was high as giraffe pussy, but again, no longer an issue. 

Just a reminder I'm sure you are probably aware @NikoBaltimore Comcast outside of robbing people which is a very lucrative business, they also own Universal and NBC so they have their major motion picture company and one of the largest music entities etc. 

They probably own a ton of other shit too.

I hate Disney for a lot of reasons and what they've done with ESPN is an abomination but yes if its them or Comcast at least we would get some good X-Men movies.

• Like 1

Honestly? I wouldn't be shocked if part of the hard bidding is so they can force Disney to let them distribute MCU films since Disney basically grabbed Hulk after 'Incredible' and refused to solo round him. If a Comcast owned Fox becomes willing to do a Spider-man style connection to the MCU while also being able to do shit like Deadpool without issue, I can see that being of value to them. 

Not $60b in value, but a nice plus on the top of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Fox Shareholders will vote on wether or not to accept the merger with Disney on July 10th.  Turning it down puts Comcast back in play, however Comcast's bid is only good *if* the judge allows the AT&T/Time Warner merger to proceed, which I think it likely will.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some analysts think Disney and Comcast could end up splitting Fox’s assets, with Disney getting what they want and Comcast getting Sky (which is what people think they mainly want anyway).