DVDVR Message Board

Disney buys Fox confirmed.

The Natural

Shit, silly all of us... but then again, this crap has been building for a long time and the corporations (read: capitalists) are gonna get what they want at some point no matter what. And that's more money, more consolidation, and more power, ad infinitum. But I'll cut it right there to avoid this getting into another political quagmire. 

You know what would have been an awesome 12" single? "Blackened" on one side and "One" on the other. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know what would have been an awesome 12" single? "Blackened" on one side and "One" on the other.

I don't recall them doing many (if any) singles for Metallica until maybe Load (at least when I looked for them at the time).  But that would have been a damn good one.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

They actually had a bunch. Remember the Jump in the Fire and Creeping Death singles? They even had those on tape. 

EDIT: Jesus the Metallica Discogs listing is harrowing

Okay, I guess I didn't see those.  I was 8 or 9 when I started getting into them and likely didn't check the right places for them.

Back to Fox, I wonder what happens to The Simpsons and their area at Universal parks.  Are those exempt from any changes due to contracts?  Or with them under the Fox umbrella it's possible that moves from Universal parks to whatever the hell Disney does with their parks.

Yeah, Universal has the rights to X-Men, Spider-man, and the Avengers and characters in "their families" in perpituity at the Theme park in Orlando so long as the area is maintained to the highest Theme Park standards and Disney can't prove that Universal isn't hurting the brand, and it's exclusive, so they can't do anything labeled Marvel in Disney World and they're just using Guardians in Disney Land.  I imagine this  will be the same for the Simpsons and anything else FOX has when the aquisition is complete.  

• Thanks 1

(Especially given are current government being fairly lax on regulation) Disney and Fox's lawyers can probably make a pretty decent argument against this being something that falls under anti-trust laws given that there are still several media companies out there, including four other "major" movie studios and that doesn't count Lionsgate. And multiple TV production companies and studios.

4 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Yeah, Universal has the rights to X-Men, Spider-man, and the Avengers and characters in "their families" in perpituity at the Theme park in Orlando so long as the area is maintained to the highest Theme Park standards and Disney can't prove that Universal isn't hurting the brand, and it's exclusive, so they can't do anything labeled Marvel in Disney World and they're just using Guardians in Disney Land.  I imagine this  will be the same for the Simpsons and anything else FOX has when the aquisition is complete.  

Disney is using the old Ellen's Energy Adventure/Hooray for Oil and Dinosaurs ride as the space for a Guardians of the Galaxy coaster at Epcot. Disney spent tons of money on Avatarland at Animal Kingdom and the upcoming Toy Story and Star Wars lands at Disney Studios, they have no problem sitting back and cashing those licensing checks well into the 2030's when the next wave of park overhauls start.

@Brian FowlerWB releases more movies than Disney but many of them cost next to nothing.   The Conjuring franchise makes them obscene amounts of profit between the main franchise and the Annabelle spinoff.  They also released IT which had a production budget of $30M  and it ended up making close to $700M worldwide.  It's worth mentioning and Universal is a giant as well.   Disney is the clear #1 but at least there are two others who can compete.   

FOX is gone and I'm going to say Paramount and eventually Sony will die out too. 

So it appears the plan is ESPN+ for sports content (obviously), Hulu for older skewing demographics (I wonder if universal/NBC stay aboard? They are working with the mouse on Movies Anywhere) and the yet unnamed new Disney platform for family friendly content.

What about non-partner brands that have signed onto hulu for now?  I would firmly expect WB to pull all CN/AS stuff from there post haste and move it to Boomerang (for the kids' stuff) or sign back on to Netflix.  What about Nickelodeon?  CBS All Access?  Yet another fucking site?  

46 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

More content the better for Boomerang. 

Let's get some DCAU on there already.

DCAU will never be on Boomerang since WB is trying to launch a separate DC-focused portal with new eps of YJ and the Titans show as anchors.  Surely Static, Beyond and JL/U will go there, with  BTAS and STAS landing when Amazon's contracts expire.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:06 PM, odessasteps said:

If it hasn't been mentioned already, there is an online petition with over 100,000 signatures wanting Leia to be named a Disney Princess. 

"Each Official Disney Princess must meet the following requirements: A) has a primary role in a Disney animated feature film, B) is human or mostly human-like (e.g. Ariel), and C) does not appear primarily in a sequel or commercial failure. The actual title of Princess (or equivalent) is not necessary, but certainly helps."

Star Wars apparently automatically disqualifies you. The only new princess will apparently be Moana.

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Only reason anyone would want Netflix is to kill competition honestly. The profit/cost ratio is way low for most larger corporations.

In that case, it would be kill competition and deeply strengthen their own library. Plus, outside the Cloud Services, Amazon runs on a similar business model anyway.