DVDVR Message Board

Disney buys Fox confirmed.

The Natural

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It might've taken longer than it should have, but Logan and Deadpool would've eventually seen the light of day as soon as Disney figured out how much revenue those projects would bring in.... and they'd both be released as Marvel / Touchstone Pictures movies.

Again,  they wouldn't have allowed the creative freedom to do so. The whole project would have been neutered.  Disney can produce an average movie and market it to the masses and turn the same profits as FOX would for a movie that is Ryan's baby.  To them $800M is $800M and I'm not saying they owe me anything more than that.  I like options. FOX going away reduces that. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Again,  they wouldn't have allowed the creative freedom to do so. The whole project would have been neutered. 

Like Netflix's The Punisher was neutered?  If they'd have smelled enough profit, Disney would've simply given Ryan what he wanted and disavowed the content by distributing it through Touchstone.

We all got to see the Hulk's bare CGI ass in Thor: Ragnarok.  You make it sound like Marvel / Disney is run by nuns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Like Netflix's The Punisher was neutered?

They allowed for The Punisher to be a Netflix series and it's completely separate from Marvel Studios and it's cheap to make.  Would they have dumped $100M+ marketing into a Logan movie or would we have gotten your standard "Wolverine saves the world" PG-13 action/comedy romp?  

Disney CEO Bob Iger:

"[Deadpool] clearly has been and will be Marvel branded. But we think there might be an opportunity for a Marvel-R brand for something like Deadpool. As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine."

Comicbookmovie.com

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They allowed for The Punisher to be a Netflix series and it's completely separate from Marvel Studios and it's cheap to make. 

How would this series have ever gotten made without the licenses from Marvel / Disney?  Someone had to take that initial risk, right?

Disney will find a way to make money off of its not quite so kid friendly content and everything will be perfectly okay.

The scariest stuff about this merger has nothing to do with the comic book shit.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jrag said:

This is a huge win for ESPN. Live sports streaming is the key next step for a bunch of these companies and ESPN needs to build their lead up as much as possible before Netflix, Facebook and Amazon are competing for NFL rights and shit like that.

As a cord cutter and big time sports guy, it's a huge win for me as well. Sign me up for an ESPN standalone service showing multiple NBA games every night.

The problem that I'm reading is that because of the nature of these deals, they won't even be able to put on the huge stuff like the NBA. Shit they won't even really be able to stream the important sports from ESPN because of the current nature of the TV rights.

Kinda like how ESPN can show an NBA game on TV, but they can't stream it because that's cuts into NBA League Pass. But NBA League Pass won't stream your local sports team because that cuts into the revenue from their Regrional Sports Network. So yes Disney will own YES, which means they own the New York area Station that shows Yankee games. But they'd have to wait a long time before they can even rejigger a deal that would allow them to stream it on ESPN Plus, and by then the price to even keep those rights could be astronomical. 

And the rub lies in the fact that ESPN Plus is coming into existence because ESPN's subscription base is shrinking. Regional Sports  Network viewership is trending down because of all the other ways people can get sports, while the price to retain rights are going up. Unless they can redo the rights deal so they can get streaming rights and TV, none of this really helps them. Other than keeping the rights from Comcast.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Disney CEO Bob Iger:

"[Deadpool] clearly has been and will be Marvel branded. But we think there might be an opportunity for a Marvel-R brand for something like Deadpool. As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine."

Because they don't want to mess with previously established success. Funny thing is, even AFTER Deadpool, Kevin Feige said that Marvel Studios had next-to-no interest in making an R-rated superhero movie.

Feige has no plans for an R-rated movie.

Don't look for an R-rated Marvel movie in the wake of the success of such bloody and potty-mouthed movies such as Logan and Deadpool any time soon.

"My takeaway from both of those films is not the R rating; it's the risk they took, the chances they took, the creative boundaries that they pushed," explained Feige. "That should be the takeaway for everyone."

While the R rating is an easily identifiable trait of those movies, Feige cited the breaking of the fourth wall in Deadpool and the finality of the Wolverine story as examples of what made those movies stand out.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-kevin-feige-why-studio-wont-make-r-movies-guardians-2-joss-whedons-dc-move-99507

So they won't change what made Deadpool great, going forward, but in no way would that movie have gotten made at Marvel Studios without a precedent. It barely happened at Fox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

so what are Fox's biggest movie franchises that Disney now owns?

i keep seeing Aliens, but what else?

Avatar, X-Men/Deadpool/Wolverine, Fantastic Four,  Aliens,  Planet of the Apes, Kung Fu Panda, Ice Age,  Die Hard,  Independence Day, Predator,  I think Dreamworks Animation entirely, Taken,  Night at the Museum. 

Taking a look at that list I wonder why anybody cares about any of them. Hollywood needs fresh blood and new stories. Most of them have ran their course and some of them (I'm looking at you Independence Day) never got off the ground in the first place. 

The politics, sadly, are again what we need to worry about, not the franchises. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The politics, sadly, are again what we need to worry about, not the franchises. 

i agree fully with this. not a positive sign for the movie biz in the long term.

that being said, i'm surprised Fox didn't have more big franchises.

Blue Sky Animation, not Dreamworks.

Ice Age, Rio, etc.

The biggest part for Disney is the added content for that streaming service they are launching. Hundreds of movies and TV shows (I mean, The Simpsons alone is like 250-300 hours of content and growing.) 

And there is a great big question mark on the Avatar sequels. The first one is the highest grossing blah blah blah.

So far this year, before the release of Last Jedi, Buena Vista (Disney's distribution arm) has 18.4% of the domestic box office, second to Warner Brothers (who have put out more than double the number of movies) at 20.1%. 20th Century Fox is 4th with 12.2%.

That's 30.6% of the domestic box office before the virtually guaranteed number one film of the year opens. If they keep Fox running mostly as is, they are literally going to vacuum up a third of the box office total every year. And that's just the added bonus to their efforts to build a Netflix slayer.

They also get M.A.S.H., The Shield, 24, Buffy and Angel, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers... Presumably new episodes of current stuff on Hulu, back catalogue on the new service.

As Netflix moves away from catalogue titles they have to license and into original programming, Disney is building an almost inconceivably large back catalogue to attack them with. And they claim it will cost significantly less a month.

The politics are ugly. The future content remains to be seen. But this is about streaming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The politics are ugly. The future content remains to be seen. But this is about streaming.

Aye, so everyone needs to write their Congressman and get this anti-Net Neutrality thing busted up.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

My knee-jerk response to this is that at some point anti-trust laws need to take a guillotine to this whole mess, I don't care how much "content" is coming out for "the consumer". Corporations are not your friend. 

Corporations are your friend if you are a shareholder.

Admittedly at first I was one of those that was thinking about the possibilities with the likes of X-Men and Deadpool (him and Spiderman in a movie, please)  But the reality of the situation hit like a ton of bricks.  These mega-conglomerates that rule the world are terrible and this is just the latest example.  I'm not that surprised by it all but man does it suck when there's one less avenue one can go with film-making.  And J.T's on point with the comparisons to the anti-net neutrality decision.  I just can't help but wonder what happened to these laws that are supposed to help prevent stuff like this from happening.  I'm hoping they look into this and stop it before it's a done deal, but given the current landscape I highly doubt it.  But it's scary times indeed.

• Like 1