DVDVR Message Board

Disney buys Fox confirmed.

The Natural

I worry about what it does for creative new ideas. There's one less place to make those films, and Disney tends to be fairly risk averse.

But I don't know if they plan to just incorporate it into their broader studio, or keep it semi autonomous like ESPN, Marvel, Lucasfilm, etc. The latter probably is better for creativity.

I assume Dark Phoenix and Untitled Deadpool Sequel are still a go. But I expect a full scale MCU X-Men reboot by 2020.

FF rights are actually still a tangled mess.

It's probably going to take until at least 2019 for the government to approve this deal - it's fucking massive. 52 BILLION. Although, the Murdochs are involved, so....

I wouldn't expect anything like an X-Men post credits stinger anytime soon. I said this on another board, but I don't think the Marvel stuff that Fox had owned will appear in the MCU until 2020 or beyond. It's generally thought that the Fantastic 4 rights aren't included in this deal, since production is handled by Constantin Films - but, as luck would have it, they're actually thinking of doing the very same thing that Fox just did (focusing on sports and other things).

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

People who worry about what this means for R rated movies need to find more fulfilling things to do with their lives.

That annoys me to no end, since Feige has said that he and Disney aren't opposed to R rated MCU films, but none of the characters they've focused on really need a movie that's not PG13. Now, if this deal gets approved by the government... they have Deadpool, and Disney/Marvel aren't amateurs when it comes to making money. They'll keep it an R film, and maybe add some stuff that Fox couldn't have done previously (or wouldn't).

The next few years are going to be super interesting if you love the MCU like a lot of us do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Everyone's missing the big takeaway from all this...

Xenomorphs are now going to be Disney Princesses.

Ha.  We were talking at work about how this merger might result in a nerd petition to put Neytiri of the Na'vi in the Disney Princess collection.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Ha.  We were talking at work about how this merger might result in a nerd petition to put Neytiri of the Na'vi in the Disney Princess collection.

Well I mean, Disney already has a Pandora section in Animal Kingdom complete with 2 rides, so that's not far out there.

4 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I think this might be the end of weird X-Men side projects like New Mutants and Madrox. Hell does an Ant-Man get greenlit in this brave new world or do B listers get reduced to Quicksilver-style throwaways?

Ant-Man & The Wasp and Black Panther will be huge next year.  MCU seems to do the B-List more justice than the A-List sometimes.

And with Runaways now on Hulu and actually being really good, MS will probably showcase B-Listers on shows featured on streaming platforms or drop them on Freeform. 

13 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Well I mean, Disney already has a Pandora section in Animal Kingdom complete with 2 rides, so that's not far out there.

I am old and forgetful and have not been to Disney World in years.  I totally forgot about the Pandora section of AK.

Ant-Man probably never happened if they owned X-Men then (hell Avengers might not have. The reason they started pushing Avengers so hard in the comics was cause they had their film rights) but now that they've already established Ant-Man I think it'll be fine.

• Like 1

Also - just to make sure to clarify

Key elements of the transaction unveiled Thursday morning:

• The deal values the 21st Century Fox assets in the transaction at $66.1 billion, including $13.7 billion in 21st Century Fox debt, or $28 a share. The enterprise value of the deal is $69 billion.
  • Disney chairman-CEO Bob Iger has extended his contract with the company for another two years, through the end of 2021, in order to oversee the integration of the assets.
  • 21st Century Fox shareholders will receive 0.2745 Disney shares for each Fox share held, giving Fox shareholders about 25% of Disney.
  • 21st Century Fox will spinoff Fox Broadcasting Co., Fox Sports, Fox News, Fox Television Stations and a handful of other assets into a new company that will have revenue of $10 billion and earnings of about $2.8 billion. The 20th Century Fox lot in Century City will also remain with the spinoff Fox company.
  • 21st Century Fox will continue to pursue its acquisition of the remaining 61% stake in Euro satcaster Sky that it does not already own with the intention of Disney taking it over when the Disney-Fox transaction is completed.
  • Disney expects to realize $2 billion in cost savings from combining Disney and Fox’s overlapping businesses within two years of the deal’s closing.
  • Disney expects the regulatory review of the acquisition to take as long as 18 months.

The bolded stuff remains with FOX (or whatever the new spinoff company will be called)

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-fox-merger-deal-52-4-billion-merger-1202631242/

21 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I think this might be the end of weird X-Men side projects like New Mutants and Madrox. Hell does an Ant-Man get greenlit in this brave new world or do B listers get reduced to Quicksilver-style throwaways?

Necessity very much drove the MCU and Disney is very lucky for it. That said, they have so many things already on the pipeline that we don't know about and they've had such success with B listers, you almost have to figure they'll keep going in that direction for a while. I think there could end up 4+ new shows on the OTT platform though easily. You won't be wanting for Marvel content.

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ant-Man probably never happened if they owned X-Men then (hell Avengers might not have. The reason they started pushing Avengers so hard in the comics was cause they had their film rights) but now that they've already established Ant-Man I think it'll be fine.

Yep.  With Sony owning Spider Man at the time and Fox holding on to the X-Men, Disney put together the best MCU it could with the licenses it still had.

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I should've been clearer. I am not worried about Scott and Hope getting killed off to make room now that they're established. I'm worried that they stop giving less-known characters a chance to break thru.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I should've been clearer. I am not worried about Scott and Hope getting killed off to make room now that they're established. I'm worried that they stop giving less-known characters a chance to break thru.

It's tricky. Presumably the market can handle X amount of movies. Deadpool and an X-Men movie are both coming out next year. The market can handle 3 MCU (incl' spider-man) and 2 X movies a year, right? So there's no reason to think Disney isn't going to keep doing five a year. They want money. They want merchandising. Is there more benefit to them in making Ant-Man or Dr. Strange as a moderate success and get a completely new product line out globally or making Thor 3 or Captain America 3 and just dipping into the same pool with a slightly different hat or whatever?  I think there's plenty of benefit for them to get as many IPs out there as possible. 

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

People who worry about what this means for R rated movies need to find more fulfilling things to do with their lives.

There actually was concern in the Rocky Horror community.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

This also gives Disney majority ownership of Hulu.

Which makes me wonder why they need to launch a fully new Disney streaming service instead of putting a major push behind Hulu.

No reason not to keep them separate. People will either pay for both or they'll want one over the other. IT's all about seeing how many ways you can break up Netflix's pie piece. Disney is all in on kicking Netflix's ass and they've got the money and major assets to do it. 

Netflix is 1.6 billion dollars in debt trying to make new content to keep subscribers. Disney can spend 52.4 billion and get massive tent pole properties to add to the massive tent pole properties they already own. They're running this town.

I hate that goddamn mouse. 

44 minutes ago, EVA said:

Fuck.  What a terrible day.  CLOUD ATLAS just got more eerily prophetic.

I dunno.  Having lunch at Papa Song's aka The Tilted Kilt With Clones sounds like the middle part of an awesome day if you happen to be a consumer.

If you're a fabricant.... well.... HAPPY EXALTATION DAY~!

True Statement:  I stopped drinking juice boxes after I saw Cloud Atlas on HBO On Demand.

• Haha 1