DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 26: Lawler vs. Dos Anjos (12/16/2017) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (Bell MTS Place)

Elsalvajeloco

Had to take the wife out for dinner so am missing the fights, but it’s funny Platinum lost.

Guess that shuts down the Till fight for a while.

Based of y’all replies and the others I’ve read, seems like he fought as reckless as usual and Ponzi exploited it.

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Had to take the wife out for dinner so am missing the fights, but it’s funny Platinum lost.

Based of y’all replies and the others I’ve read, seems like he fought as reckless as usual and Ponzi exploited it.

It would say so much as wreckless as much as he ended up playing into Ponzi's gameplan. He was moving forward with his right hand cocked in round 1 and Ponzi slowly landing a hard low kick more and more. He stunned Ponzi at least once early on, but Ponzinibbio started throwing and landing more than just the kicks. It just became a case of Perry had a lot of activity, but Ponzi was way more effective and was able to survive Perry's onslaught. Perry was the one who really looked more tired after a heated second round and especially after Ponzi landed a spinning backfist. If Ponzi didn't clinch Perry against the cage right after the knockdown, he could have probably finished Perry because his legs were gone for about 10-15 seconds.

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I wouldn't say he was reckless, as much as he's inexperienced and taking a big step up in competition.  Ponzinibio seems to be better coached and has a much better grasp of how to set his opponent up.  Ponzinibio had a really smart strategy and still got tagged a lot.  This was a close competitive fight that Ponzinibio's experience and strategy won, but Perry never looked like he didn't belong and was competitive throughout.  Perry is probably ahead of schedule for a 26-year-old who started fighting 3 years ago.  He's a hell of a talent, but Ponzinibio is a really good fighter who is really putting his complete game together. 

• Like 2

DC/Anik made an interesting point on the post fight show that the last 5 fighters to miss weight and still get to fight have won. They also mentioned that the UFC needs to do something about it. 

The card overall turned out really great with RDA putting on a great performance and Marquez making a bunch of new fans. 

RDA vs. Colby seems likely with Woodley having surgery plus wanting to hold out for the $ fight with Diaz or GSP. Unless of course UFC makes Woodley fight RDA or Colby by showing him the money before hand. 

Lawler showed a lot of heart but you don't win fights by taking a beating and RDA had plenty of beating to go around.. 

Why didn't Lawler try to check those leg kicks.  It's like he doesn't watch film from his own fights.

That Di Chirico "I have had enough of this bullshit" KO was fucking awesome.  I look forward to Bamgbose's first fight with Invicta, because I will be surprised if he fights on a UFC card again.

Now that I think about it, Saturday was a rough night overall for black MMA dudes.

59 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I look forward to Bamgbose's first fight with Invicta, because I will be surprised if he fights on a UFC card again.

Not sure if this is some joke that's going over my head, but Invicta is an all female MMA organization...

IIRC There was a rumor they were going to have like a few male fights in Invicta for fighters with only a handful of fights but I'm not sure that would be a good look aesthetically and with their already being a bunch of MMA orgs just for developing male fighters.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

people are acting like Bamgbose put on the worst performance ever. it wasn't good, and with his other losses he deserves to be cut, but come on. fights of that excitement level (or lack thereof ) happen all the time.

I don't it was the worst performance over but it was clearly an overcorrection for being too aggressive, which definitely made the application of his strategy dismal. His cornermen were screaming "Go go go" and he just stayed in neutral. I don't know if he panicked and just didn't know what to do after he got the warning in between rounds for timidity from Herb Dean (which was totally justified), but he tried to amplify what he was doing in round 1 except there was nothing amplify.

Now an argument could be made that referees shouldn't be that integral in the finish of a fight. I mean we were heading into worst fight of the year territory with Holm vs. Bethe Correia after that tepid round 1 if Bethe didn't head right into the danger zone the very next round for fear of getting a point taken away. You had a great counter fighter whose accuracy is heavily dependent upon someone throwing wild strikes and someone who style is careless and reckless enough to fall into that. So with Bethe unwilling to throw strikes, Holly had basically nothing to counter and could only throw kicks to the body. We could have literally had a 25 minutes of kicks to the body and easily cemented it as the worst fight of the year. I also remember vividly Holly having another fight on AXS like that except it actually went into the championship rounds. Here....it was the blame had to go to Oluwale Bamgbose and I'm sure his cornerman knew that because otherwise his cornermen would've have protested Dean coming into the corner. Nor would they have been so adamant that Oluwale let his hands go. The thing is Oluwale didn't do what Bethe did and head straight into the fire after a brutally dull first round. No, he just did what he did round 1 as I said which was next to nothing. Once Di Chirico trapped him, he knocked him out. That's pretty shameful considering you only have one shot to save your UFC career probably and the best strategy at that point for him was to go balls to wall. That's the only way he has won in his career since his tenure in the Northeast/Tri-State MMA scene. Career wise, the Di Chirico fight couldn't have played out any worse as it did for Oluwale Bamgbose. He had a shot to give a decent account of himself especially against someone who isn't as well rounded as a Cezar Mutante or with a brutal killer instinct like Borrachinha. Di Chirico was obviously the more talented fighter skill wise since Bamgbose is one dimensional, but he ain't that much more talented than him. All it takes it is one good one on the chin and that's a wrap. But hey, what's done is done.