DVDVR Message Board

What is on your Xmas viewing list?

Control

Somehow I'd forgotten Gremlins was set at Christmas. So I watched it for probably the first time in 25, maybe even 30 years. Despite being so badly acted and not making a lot of sense at times, it's eerie how it seems relevant and also prescient: the nationalistic insanity, the economic anxiety, and the biggest ass-kickers are two women. Plus, now I'm actually old enough to catch all the references to other movies that Chris Columbus and Joe Dante spewed everywhere. 

21 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Somehow I'd forgotten Gremlins was set at Christmas. So I watched it for probably the first time in 25, maybe even 30 years. Despite being so badly acted and not making a lot of sense at times, it's eerie how it seems relevant and also prescient: the nationalistic insanity, the economic anxiety, and the biggest ass-kickers are two women. Plus, now I'm actually old enough to catch all the references to other movies that Chris Columbus and Joe Dante spewed everywhere. 

And the sequel is partially about spoofing a well known NYC real estate blowhard.

Silent Night, Deadly Night will definitely get a watch. We usually break out into singing Warm Side of the Door, which, besides being the soundtrack to one of the funniest movie montages ever, is a genuinely good Christmas song. 

• Like 1

Since the times on the two Gremlins showing in town are during work I grabbed it at Walmart with a free gift card today along with Westworld (the movie not the show). I was thinking about snagging Shin Godzilla for my mom as an Xmas gift, but yeaaaaaaah... not at that price. Especially not something she'll have to read as much as watch. 

On 2017-12-10 at 9:51 PM, (BP) said:

Silent Night, Deadly Night will definitely get a watch. We usually break out into singing Warm Side of the Door, which, besides being the soundtrack to one of the funniest movie montages ever, is a genuinely good Christmas song. 

I am watching this movie now and  it is bonkers. And “Warm Side of the Door” was an immediate standout.

• Like 1

For years in the UK you could only get the first two volumes of Batman: The Animated Series. In November, I found out the complete Batman: The Animated Series DVD box set came out the month before, first time ever in the UK!!! I was tempted to buy it before Christmas. My Dad got it for me, last copy as well for Christmas so that's going to make up the majority of my watching over Christmas.

I'll catch the Doctor Who Christmas Special and Die Hard if I find it on TV.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

One film only.

Hide contents

large_scrooge_blu-ray6b.jpg

One of my favourite performances in any film, ever. I think I've watched it on or around Christmas eve every year since I was like 6 or 7.

Same. After the family watches our traditional stuff and my sister and I finish It's A Wonderful Life, I end the Christmas eve marathon with this every year. It is the perfect version in my mind and Alastair Sim is a legend.

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Same. After the family watches our traditional stuff and my sister and I finish It's A Wonderful Life, I end the Christmas eve marathon with this every year. It is the perfect version in my mind and Alastair Sim is a legend.

To quote my favorite current film critic, Tim Brayton:

"Your mileage may vary, of course, and I imagine that every predominant Christmas Carol movie probably has someone out there calling it the best; but for me, man, there ain't nothing so great that it can't be improved if you throw a few Muppets at it."

• Like 2

On 12/13/2017 at 10:50 AM, The Natural said:

For years in the UK you could only get the first two volumes of Batman: The Animated Series. In November, I found out the complete Batman: The Animated Series DVD box set came out the month before, first time ever in the UK!!! I was tempted to buy it before Christmas. My Dad got it for me, last copy as well for Christmas so that's going to make up the majority of my watching over Christmas.

I'll catch the Doctor Who Christmas Special and Die Hard if I find it on TV.

DLS4oaUWsAAbOEL.jpg:large

Related image

• Like 1

Christmas Vacation is a must for our family. My father in law laughs like it's the first time he's ever seen it, even though we could probably recite it word for word by this point. I always volunteer to work overnights on Christmas Eve, so I can score double time and a half Holiday Pay from 12-7, and nobody ever wants to work that night. So, I pass the time by watching A Christmas Story and posting on DVDVR.

My Aunt LOVED Santa Claus the movie. Honestly, the only thing I can recall about it is a scene where a kid chugs a can of Coke and belches.

My three year old has been on a steady diet of the Team Umizoomi, Bubble Guppies, and Doc McStuffins Christmas episodes, the latter of which has the least expected Arrested Development references/connections ever.

Amazon Prime had a version of Rudolph available for free streaming two weeks ago, but now they only have the 50th Anniversary version for sale.

From my current one:

Probably the weirdest one of anyone for a Christmas viewing list, but for some reason if I had anything on the viewing list, it's watching the whole series of"Love Hina" for some reason.

It started as just the Christmas special with others, but then it became "watch the whole series before the Christmas special", but somewhere it just became "watch the series on Christmas" for some unknown reason.

I don't know why I do it, but it's just a weird quirk I have. 

Only @Craig H mentioned Elf. He gets all the gold stars, everyone else gets coal. Everyone should be ashamed of themselves. This movie started my love for Zooey Deschanel and her music, and I've seen her live about 4 times since, so I'm bias.

I've been watching all of these really horrible, cheesy 90s/00s/2010s Christmas movies lately. I put on Christmas with the Kranks earlier this morning. Earlier in the week, it's been: The Family Man, Fred Claus, Four Christmases, Office Christmas Party, and of course the best one of all: Die Hard. Then I skipped the sequel because I hate it and went directly for "...With A Vengeance" because that's the best one IMO.

I must've been no older than four or five when I saw the Tales From the Crypt television show version of And All Through the House. I was shook. My mother explained to me that it wasn't really Santa Claus, which I totally understood. However, she couldn't convince me it was implausible that someone could break into our house and axe murder us. 

• Like 2